It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2008 NFL Season Thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
This thread will be the official thread for discussion and commentary about the 2008 NFL Season, including training camp, pre-season, regular season and playoffs.

Feel free to talk about your team and trash talk other members, within the T&C, of course.

Since we are only just getting in to training camp, the discussion can be about rookies, new signings, or competitions at certain positions between two or more players.

2008 NFL Training Camp Schedule

AFC

Baltimore Ravens: July 21 (rookies), July 23 (veterans)
Buffalo Bills: July 24 (rookies and veterans)
Cincinnati Bengals: July 27 (rookies and veterans)
Cleveland Browns: July 22 (rookies and veterans)
Denver Broncos: July 24 (rookies and veterans)
Houston Texans: July 25 (rookies and veterans)
Indianapolis Colts: July 24 (rookies and veterans)
Jacksonville Jaguars: July 25 (rookies and veterans)
Kansas City Chiefs: July 24 (rookies and veterans)
Miami Dolphins: July 25 (rookies and veterans)
New England Patriots: July 21 (rookies), July 23 (veterans)
New York Jets: July 16 (rookies), July 23 (veterans)
Oakland Raiders: July 24 (rookies and veterans)
Pittsburgh Steelers: July 27 (rookies and veterans)
San Diego Chargers: July 20 (rookies), July 24 (veterans)
Tennessee Titans: July 25 (rookies and veterans)

NFC

Arizona Cardinals: July 23 (rookies and veterans)
Atlanta Falcons: July 25 (rookies and veterans)
Carolina Panthers: July 25 (rookies and veterans)
Chicago Bears: July 22 (rookies and veterans)
Dallas Cowboys: July 24 (rookies and veterans)
Detroit Lions: July 23 (rookies and veterans)
Green Bay Packers: July 27 (rookies and veterans)
Minnesota Vikings: July 24 (rookies and veterans)
New Orleans Saints: July 23 (rookies and veterans)
New York Giants: July 24 (rookies and veterans)
Philadelphia Eagles: July 21 (rookies), July 24 (veterans)
San Francisco 49ers: July 24 (rookies and veterans)
Seattle Seahawks: July 22 (rookies), July 24 (veterans)
St. Louis Rams: July 24 (rookies and veterans)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: July 25 (rookies and veterans)
Washington Redskins: July 19 (rookies and veterans)

NFL Training Camp Schedule

17 Days until Hall of Fame Week
21 Days until Pre-Season Begins
49 Days until Regular Season Begins

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
yo NOM. you have NFL camps video link?

thanks.

gochargers!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Shockey Now a SAINT

www.usatoday.com...

This could be a great addition to the New Orleans offense, IF...

Jeremy can successfully return to full health.

Brees, with a healthy Shockey can only open up the potential of the likes of Reggie Bush and the surprise wideout Colston.

Still waiting for my team to sign Favre, it would be nice to see him take the Panthers to the playoffs this season, QB a big ? for my team

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Is it normal to still be depressed over the Super Bowl? Well, I am. And pissed, too. So pissed that I shut the TV off after the game and have not heard one single excuse that Brady or Belichick had to give.

18-1. Pfffttt!!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Still waiting for my team to sign Favre, it would be nice to see him take the Panthers to the playoffs this season, QB a big ? for my team

HA! Keep waiting, my friend. You'll be waiting for a long time.

Originally posted by jsobecky
Is it normal to still be depressed over the Super Bowl?

Normal among sports fans? Yes. Normal? No.

I'm still pissed that the Giants beat the Packers. I don't think they're a good team, despite their "Super Bowl win".

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Excellent thread!

Baseball has become so redundant over the summer that I have gave up on it until the last week or two of the season. It's such a long season that it is somewhat pointless to stay up on things day in and day out.

So let's get our daily feed of football!

Question: Will Brett Favre start a single game for Green Bay this year?

• I'd like to say he'll be there for the very first game.. but I can't see it. What's even worse is if his iron man streak comes to an end because he didn't get the start. Agh! The Packers are annoying me to no end surrounding this and Favre has my full support. They failed to act so many times when they could have picked up so many big names, and despite the efforts of management.. the team still puts up remarkable numbers. Favre is the better QB.. so why is their a decision? Pull your head out of your asses and do what's obvious!

Question: Who is the more likely Manning to win the next Super Bowl?

• I was so glad to see the Giants take down the Patriots last year, but I don't see them repeating. I don't even see them winning a division. I suspect they'll manage another wild card spot and hope for another run like last year. I also suspect that the Colts will repeat their AFC dominance and we could be in for another Manning/Brady AFC showdown. If I had to choose which Manning, I'd go with Peyton each and every time. If Eli won this year again, I'd still go with Peyton next year.

Question: Can the Patriots be better?

• I don't see it. They've lost some key role players and they're not exactly the youngest team in the league. They'll be one of the best, but I don't see them being in the same category that they were last year.

Early predictions?

With or without Favre, I see the Packers as a legitimate contender. Whether it is Favre's arm or Grant's shoulders, a potential Super Bowl run is in the cards. From the AFC? I'll take the Patriots over the Colts in an AFC final that everyone will remember as a game that the Patriots stole in the dying seconds of the 4th.

Superbowl?

Green Bay in a blow out.

A neutral, completely unbiased analysis of the upcoming season.

Go Packers!

• posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:37 PM
    link   
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We GO !!!

Early reports from conditioning are that , Willie Parkers leg healed perfectly and he's 100%, didn't lose any speed. Fast Willie, back in action.

Great draft for the Steelers this year.

Mendenhal will be a great addition for a 1 - 2 punch when running the ball.

Another years experience under the belt of Big Ben, he'll be ready and peforming well this season.

I can't wait.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:04 PM
    link   
    Oh come on now. I must share something with all of you. Being the amazing conspiracy theorist that I am I went out and bought a really cool disguise, and a walkie talkie. I was going to break into area 51, but decided that I must report this amazing BREAKING NEWS!
    Yes I said BREAKING NEWS from the Philadelphia Eagles. MAN! Wait until you hear what I'm about to tell you! This is going to make Vegas change their odds BIG TIME!

1) Donovan McNabb will no longer be allowed to eat Campbells Chunky Soup, and will have to drink a bottle of Pepto before every game. This will stop his puking on the Field! Genius

2) Reggie Brown is no longer allowed to apply moisturizing lotion to himself before the games, thereby stop making his hands so slippery. Amazing!

3) Coach Andy Reid will be required to drink no less than 6 Red Bulls during the course of a game. Now he won't continually be so late with his calls. Incredible!

Oh man! EAGLES all the way!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:36 PM
    link   
    Philadelphia still has a team?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:39 PM
    link   

Originally posted by chissler
    Philadelphia still has a team?

In my best Moe Howard impression as I shake my fist - 'Why I oughta'

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:13 PM
    link   
    reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

Originally posted by jsobecky
    Is it normal to still be depressed over the Super Bowl?

Normal among sports fans? Yes. Normal? No.

Whew! Thank you for that. I was worried...

I'm still pissed that the Giants beat the Packers. I don't think they're a good team, despite their "Super Bowl win".

Pats-Packers - now that would have been a game!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:34 PM
    link   
    The Jeremy Shockey trade isnt the only one that took place as of late.
    Jason Taylor was traded to the Washington Redskins for 2nd and 6th draft picks in 2009.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:07 PM
    link   

Question: Will Brett Favre start a single game for Green Bay this year?

Unfortunately, no. Ted Thompson's ego will get in the way. He's wanted Favre gone for a couple years now, and he has him out now with an excuse (they've "moved on"). So, no.

Question: Who is the more likely Manning to win the next Super Bowl?

I'm going to say neither of them win another one. Ever.

Question: Can the Patriots be better?

No. 12-4 this year for them.

Early predictions?

I originally said New England and Tampa Bay, but I'm not sure I want to stick with that.

Time for a breakdown and process of elimination:

AFC teams that I think are contenders:

New England
    Pittsburgh
    Jacksonville
    San Diego

NFC teams that I think are contenders:

Dallas
    Green Bay
    Tampa Bay
    Seattle

San Diego can't win anything, so they're eliminated. I'm not sure Pittsburgh has enough pieces, but then again, I think the Giants suck. Jacksonville isn't to the point of taking down New England yet. New England can beat Pittsburgh.

So from the AFC: New England

Dallas I wasn't impressed with last year. They have holes. Big contracts don't fill holes. Talented players fill holes. Tampa Bay, if they could ever improve their offense, I think they'll be a true Super Bowl contender. Seattle, they seem to fade when facing good teams. Green Bay, they have a hole at quarterback.

So from the NFC: Green Bay or Tampa Bay

If its New England and Tampa Bay, New England wins. If its New England and Green Bay.....it'll be a good game. I don't know.

Boy the NFL looks like crap this year. Not a lot of teams in it, as far as I'm concerned.

[edit on 7/22/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:44 PM
    link   
    So we won't be seeing any Aaron Rodger's avatars this season?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:59 PM
    link   

So we won't be seeing any Aaron Rodger's avatars this season?

Nope!

I already don't like him. I probably never will. I don't believe he'll turn in to anything good. And although its not his fault, being the QB that replaced Brett Favre will prevent me from liking him.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:10 PM
    link   
    reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

If he stepped up today and said, "Brett Favre should be the starting quarterback!" I still wouldn't like him. As a fan, I don't even like the way it is. But it is what it is. No matter how good he is, we're always going to say "what if?"

If he wins back to back championships the next two years, I'm still going to be bitter with the way things happened.

Even if Brett does come back this year.. it still doesn't feel right.

After throwing that pick against the Giants in the playoffs last year, I had thought we hit our low point. Aghhhh!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:18 PM
    link   
    I will absolutely refuse to makepredictions on the upcoming season. I refused to make them during the NBA playoffs, and it worked.

It's all in the mojo.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:01 PM
    link   
    Saints all the way!

Drew Brees, Deuce McAlister, Marques Colston, Jeremy Shockey and Reggie Bush.

This offense is going to be explosive!

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 08:04 AM
    link   
    i can make one predicition confidently the dolphins will be awful!

wait make that two.......the pats will make the playoffs

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:27 AM
    link   
    reply to post by cpdaman

Make that three...

The Lions will do their best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory every single game.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join