It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it better to just read one book at a time?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
While I can read multiple books at a time, I stopped, because I feel less immersed than when reading just one.

(I also tend to compare the books if reading more than one, and make similarities where they may not exist, etc.) The mind likes order, and it tries to stubbornly make sense of all input. At least for me, better if it's all one source at a time.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Hello,
You know I think it's better to read one book at a time because, for myself at least, when one tries to read several different stories one often gets the plots confused with one another. I find this happens with me but I'm currently reading Harry Adam Knight's 'Carnosaur', Hunter S. Thompson's 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas', William S. Burroughs' 'Naked Lunch', Iain Banks' 'The Wasp Factory', and 'The Men Who Stare At Goats' (but I've forgotten the author's name which is bad). This is not a great situation for me to be in... Plus I read my own stories as I write them (of course) so I'm on the right course to having to re-read all these books in the next few months.

Ramadwarf on his flood of books

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I am an avid reader and have been since I was very young. I remember reading "Lord of the Flies" when I was 7 years old. My brother was then 14 and it was from his grade 9 english class. I later helped him write a report on it LOL.

Anyhow, even though I love reading...I can only read one book at a time. And I have to read it quite quickly (say between 2-7 days depending on length) or I can't seem to "retain" the storyline. I guess I have poor memory, which serves to benefit me as I can re-read my books after only a few months!

Michelle

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Yes. Read one book at a time and enjoy it. Savor it, and then dive into the next book. Enjoy your experiences whilst reading.

Reading is not a speed sport. Unless you're retarded.

Sen

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
While I certainly agree that books should be savoured and enjoyed, I am able to read more than one book at a time. This is obviously more difficult, when you are reading something dense as it becomes difficult to chart character and plot developments when distracted by the range of your current reading material. However, reading is undertaken for different purposes and to suit different moods so it will depend on the circumstances as to what/ how many books you are reading at any one time. I am currently reading a biography (which is not taxing), a book on the English language (factual and something you read in short bursts, as you are more likely to absorb the information) and a collection of short stories (a genre made for picking up and putting down with ease). There is no problem in interchanging between any of these texts and doing so does not interfere with my ability to process information/ enjoyment of any of them. Perhaps when I move onto reading 'The Canterbury Tales' I will focus on this solely- the disparity between the language presented and that we are used to today, coupled with the layers of meaning and complex interweaving of characters and plot will demand my full attention if I am to fully appreciate it! Perhaps these are the circumstances that Savant is alluding to?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join