It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's goodie bag

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Obama's goodie bag

www.suntimes.com

Back when Barack Obama was a state senator, the Illinois Legislature offered this perk: You get elected, you get to give out some money.

Like his counterparts, Obama routed this state grant money to parks, libraries and schools during his eight years in the Illinois Senate.

He gave money to domestic-violence, job-creation and social-service programs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This article also goes into funds directed to a few of Sen. Obama's supporters who have recently been in the news.

It has a list of the highest monetary grants by Obama from the 2000-2003 time period and links to a complete list.

Most of the grants seem to be to very worthy community assisting projects, still there are some that could raise an eye.

That's for you to decide, I am just providing this article for everyone's awareness.

www.suntimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I think what's most disturbing about this is the SYSTEM that's evolved.

What this shows is a system that takes money at the point of a gun from citizens and then gives it to an elected official, Obama in this case, to give to other citizens HE thinks are more worthy to have the money.

I.e., the representative passed laws to take our money and use it for themselves to buy the favor of the voters so they can get re-elected time after time.

As for Obama, you can see he lives in this world. He couldn't exist outside of this system. His entire livelihood depends on him taking money from other people and buying popularity with their money.

It's disgusting, imo. No wonder this country has deteriorated to the point it's at now.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Overall, these seem to be benefiting the people, and few seem to be "rewards" type that are so often found. It might be worth seeing who the construction projects were owned and run by, as this could be a way to funnel $$$ to supporters.

But generally, at least on the surface, it seems these were mostly worthwhile projects.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

If the IRS and the government in general would stop taking all these taxes out of our pay then we wouldn't need it re-distributed. We could afford our own health care (no need for state healthcare), we could afford to put more food on our tables (no need for food stamps), we could afford to put gas in our cars to get to a job, even a minimum wage one (no need for welfare), if we weren't taxed ten times on our cars we could afford a nicer standard of living, etc, etc. Obama didn't start this crap, the government did, hundreds of years ago. From what I see, at least he's doing worthy things with the taxes.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

Who's taxes are you referring to?

If this has been going on for many years then where is the change we keep hearing about?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
It might be worth seeing who the construction projects were owned and run by, as this could be a way to funnel $$$ to supporters.

I agree, though it does make me wonder where the Obama change is coming from, to me it looks like old school politics in action.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I am already convinced to vote for anyone who is unknown to the folks in DC, if the only options are REP/DEM I will vote for none of the above, I know it won't make the change that's really needed but it could be the start of a trend that over time actually brings change.

It is not about the President, it is about the whole thing, Senators and Congressmen are equally to blame for the mess our country is in no matter what side of the aisle they sit and snipe from.

I am sick about it, and instead of shirking my right to vote, I will vote, I just won't follow any left/right mumbo jumbo, most citizens are neither, we just have to get them to shake the dust off their voter cards and let their voice be heard in the election.

that would signify REAL CHANGE.

IMO.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I'm talking about the taxes on us all, instituted by the government. Income tax, property tax, sales tax, taxes on licensing your car, boat, motorcycle, etc, etc, etc. There are a million taxes out there. You name the tax, it's out there.

Obama never promised to abolish taxes. So I don't know exactly what you are talking about with this "change" comment of yours. And how it relates to Obama's slogan of change.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7 From what I see, at least he's doing worthy things with the taxes.

Is it just me, or are we really this far gone that you seem ok with this entire concept?

What difference does it make if a politician does "worthy" things with your money? This is about a system that forces you at the point of a gun to give your money to the government so that the government can give your money to a politician to distribute to who HE thinks is worthy.

Why do we need Obama as the middle man to use your money for what HE thinks is worthy? This is seriously screwed up. I would rather you decide what's worthy than have you forced to give your money to somebody else to decide what's worthy.

And this isn't even getting into how this entire system is set up to totally undermine the democratic process. How can an outsider compete with somebody who's able to pay off the people who are voting with tax money?

new topics

top topics

join