It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there was ONE THING you could say before you DIED that would be REMEMBERED.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
So im sitting up tonight. REALLY late. Spent all night hanging out with my brother. Enjoying life, talking about politics and the current events. And i realized that we will all pass on one day and that most of us will not be world renown philosophers and that what we have to say wont stick around forever.

We will die and just be forgotten. A few generations of our family may remember us but after that we will just be that old guy, who died a long time ago.

Well i don't want to go down that way. I want to do something in my life that will be remembered forever. i want to be a legend, like everyone else. no one wants to be forgotten and have their entire life on earth have been used for no benefitial purpose.

Which i think alot of people turn to violence. You go and do a horrific crime your automatically immortalized in media. THE GUY WHO DID THIS!!! JUST THINK OF ALL THE HORRIBLE KILLERS. there names come up left and right . Thats not the way to do it! That sounds more like hell. Always being remembered as a terrible person in history.

Otherwise, If you will just be forgotten once you die, what point is there to living life. If there or isn't there an afterlife? its a gamble. How many Christian saints are there who lived in obscurity...NONE there all famous. You cant be a saint if you were not famous.

But is heaven the living on after you die on earth? The legacy you leave behind you? having people remember your name and what you did once you die? Is that eternal life? Doing something that all other humans recognize and seeing as worth as remembering...

Life is confusing. Why are we here. Just to screw and have babies? Then why do we aspire to do great things. Why do we all admire the underdog who overcame great obstacles to do something legendary?

I can only hope that once i pass on i will be remembered. And remembered for something good! And that i wont just wither away after my funeral if im lucky enough to have one.

Anyone else feel this way or have anything to add? Im still young. Only 21, so im sure there is a lot of wisdom out there to be shared with me and similar people like me.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by ghostlandseller]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Well I have decided to inscribe my final words on my tombstone. It will read:

"See, I told ya I was sick!"

Hopefully I'll be remebered for that.

Becker

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
HAHA i like that. i like walking through old cemeteries and reading tombstones.

Theres one out by my house in the middle of the country. IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE! kinda erie, and its all little children. Infants to about three years old. but there all from the late 1800s to the early 1900s. Its just unfortunate that they didint get to choose a tombstone inscription themselves.

I remember my grandmother put on my grandfathers tombstone when he dies "A Captain always goes down with his ship" Didn't make sense at all! He liked sailing but everyone who reads it will think he died on his boat! which wasn't the case at all! he committed suicide in a hotel room! he was a Nuclear Physicist for god sakes..NOT A SAILOR!

So i suggest writing our tombstone inscription before its too late unless you want something like that written on it. HAHA

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
would all passengers please fasten their safety belts

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
"I knew nothing would happen in 2012."

[edit on 17-7-2008 by TheComte]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostlandseller

Well i don't want to go down that way. I want to do something in my life that will be remembered forever. i want to be a legend, like everyone else. no one wants to be forgotten and have their entire life on earth have been used for no benefitial purpose.

The lasting legacy i would want to leave behind is the love i have given and shared with those in my life. Can there be anything more important than sharing and passing on our love?

There is nothing love cannot face;
there is no limit to its faith,
its hope, and endurance.
In a word, there are three things
that last forever: faith, hope, and love;
but the greatest of them all is love.
~ 1 Corinthians 13 ~

Great post OP, very thought provoking.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by atlasastro]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
haha, not exactly what i was expecting but these are pretty witty i have to admit. haha

Keep em comming!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
"I'm not quite dead yet!"

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I've already told my family what my very last words will be...
"I've buried the treasure under the tree at............." croak.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
“I told you I was allergic to peanuts!”
or
“I could’ve done it my way, but the gov wouldn’t let me.”

But really,
“I love my children.”

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Even the pharohs couldn't be sure of eternal rememberance. To seek such a thing isn't to really take the long view. Time defeats all known methods of this sort.

But when we improve the world, make it a better place for our children and theirs, we give an immortal contribution to the future of our species. My DNA, no matter how deluted, will still be there when my descendents walk other worlds.

As long as we are a part of the Whole, we are part of all subsequent Now. Names are just the clothes of the moment, and only rags to be discarded.True monuments are the improvements we make in the human condition.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
"All women are three beers away from being bisexual"

OR

"Heaven doesn't want me and hell is afraid I'll take over"

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
if I could leave any wisdom behind,it would either be something loveing and kind like "just love eachother,every man woman and creed"

if you want something silly,then it would be "take both the red,and the blue pill"
though that could be misconstrued as being rather profound. It wasn't ment to be

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I can think of a few....but one that stands out to me:

"Laughter REALLY is the best medicine"

eh, one more:

"There really is such thing as true love and soul mates and is usually found in the least expected place"

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Serious:

You who read this:
Pursue your dreams.
And along the way,
like a winding path through a forest,
you will see many a wonderful
sight along the way.
Keep your eyes open.

In a humorous area:

"Connection reset by Peer."

[edit on 17-7-2008 by Deson]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I want my ashes flown to outer space. So my headstone will read:

Sorry, you just missed her.

Rush

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
"Hold this for me, will you?"

"Hey, what does this button..."

"Ooh, shiny thing."

"Oops."

"Hey, I do taste like chicken!"

"Oh yeah?"

"Bet I can!"

Seriously? I dunno, something good hopefully.
As for epithets, I know what I'd like:
"Left us all laughing, sleeps with a smile on his face."

"Telling a good one to God."

"If laughter is the best medicene, he overdosed."

"Showed us how to laugh, then snuck off for a beer."

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Mine would simply be,

No matter what has happend it our lives good and bad, Know that i loved you with a pure heart, dont dwell on actions of the past, I forgive
everything that has happened has made me who i a today, without the ups and down i would have never learned the lessons of life,

[edit on 18-7-2008 by asala]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
"If there was ONE THING you could say before you DIED that would be REMEMBERED."

I would have to say that I would want to say "Tits." People would remember that. "Yes little Jimmy, your great grandfather's last word was Tits." I would be a legend. They would build a monument to me in town. A monument to my life ending, with the word Tits. On my tombstone, on the back, they will write: "His last thought was about tits. He enjoyed tits."

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

I feel a George Carlin Moment coming on...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join