It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knife on sale that can freeze its victim

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
The picture you paint of England is a pretty dismal one, 'ninja. Can it really be so bad?

Have you ever taken a martial arts course? The reason I ask is because, for some, physical aggression seems much worse than it actually is. In a dojo or kwoon you can learn some confidence-building skills, and if it is a good school, you will have a chance to spar with others. You don't have to be Bruce Lee (or Jet Li, if you're young) to do it, because there is a trust bond between you and your partners.

Excelsior!

PS:

There's something else I wanted to mention. The #1 attractor for bullies is poor posture, a shuffling gait, and an avoidance of eye contact. If your body language says "I'm confident", then you will likely be overlooked. Even if you are a smaller guy, this is true. I know, because I'm only 5'10" tall, and even when I was a kid who couldn't climb past 160lbs, none of the bullies wanted to have a go at me. Maybe I was just lucky, but I have always walked with a deliberate, American gait, and with my spine straight. You might thing I'm being silly, but some Japanese martial arts actually drill all the way down to these details. Your body and your face are always communicating. These are your best tools.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by applebiter]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthTellist

I'm baffled about why you'd attack me like that. I can see why someone like you who is so intolerant to people with differing attitudes would enjoy the right to carry weapons. Everyone is so warlike, it's depressing.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by unnamedninja

If someone just came up and smacked the ever living hell out of you, would you:

a) defend yourself using force

or

b) curl up in the fetal position while begging the evil bad man not to hurt you any more?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by applebiter
The picture you paint of England is a pretty dismal one, 'ninja. Can it really be so bad?

Truthfully man, I want to get out of here and go to Canada.

America is somehow more violent and less violent than the UK at the same time. I can see both perspectives since we report heavily on your news, and likely you hear none of ours. The last case to depress me, was a gang of teenagers, who picked on a man who was mentally disabled. It ended with them filming an attack on him using their mobile phones. These children were jumping on the guys head, and laughing and making comments about how his brains were coming out. I really can't see this happening in America. Shootings and stabbings almost seem humane in comparison.

Have you ever taken a martial arts course? The reason I ask is because, for some, physical aggression seems much worse than it actually is. In a dojo or kwoon you can learn some confidence-building skills, and if it is a good school, you will have a chance to spar with others. You don't have to be Bruce Lee (or Jet Li, if you're young) to do it, because there is a trust bond between you and your partners.

Excelsior!

Well only when I was a kid, I took some Karate lessons but I didn't really stick with that.

It might be telling that if I were to pick something to learn now. It would be something like Krav Maga or some other military type art. These ones focus less around formalized kicking and striking, they are more about disarming gun and knife carriers, and surviving those situations.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by unnamedninja]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by unnamedninja

Well, martial arts aren't for everyone. I was fanatical about it when I was younger, but it doesn't hold much interest for me anymore. At some point, I realized that I was trying to be something that I'm not - a tough guy. That's a losing game, and life is too damn long to try to be something you aren't.

Passion is important. What ever it is that makes you passionate is the thing that makes you strong. No matter where you live.

We've gotten off topic here, so I'll try to clumsily bring us back around.

What ever it is that makes you passionate, just imagine someone making a case against its legality. You said you play video games. Are they constantly trying to ban violent video games in England? Maybe knives aren't your thing, but maybe you can see where I'm going with the comparison?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   

So now your just attacking people you don't agree with? Nice...

I have never been to America, but from what I can gather shooting and stabbings and the such don't happen that often.

Would I be wrong in saying that's because of a mutual fear of one another?

Someone would have to think twice about attacking you if they thought you were armed.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by cleggy88

"An Armed Society is a Polite Society"

A rapist would think twice if he KNEW he was going to be shot. Heck, if a woman pulled out a knife he'd likely decide to move on to an easier target. Same gos for any kind of criminal.

I would rather that people carry the means to protect themselves and never use them. If everyone knew that was the case you would have what we call "Passive Discouragement" whereby no one ever has to bear their arms as they are assumed to have them.

*Edit: Who keeps reporting me to the mods? I know it is hard to face the facts, but don't become an informant on your fellow man. Deny Ignorance.

Don't let Ignorance be your muse.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by TruthTellist]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Don't you find it quite a sad way for a society to be? Coming from the UK I can't quite comprehend it myself. I know when I walk down the street I won't attack anyone so I have a trust in other people that they won't do the same. I would rather live in a society where we all carry no weapons and no-one attacks any one else, rather than a society where anyone or everyone could be carrying a weapon.

I reported you to the mods last time and it has nothing to do with ignorance. Your post was a direct insult at another member, we are having an interesting debate there is no need to bring personal attacks into it because you don't agree with their point of view. No-one else has felt the need to be abusive.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

You used another user name to report me. I will now report you for having multiple memberships and using them as a tool to silence opposing viewpoints.

Thank you for revealing yourself.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Stop.

Back On Topic.

Any further off topic posts will be removed and warnings issued.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
This is completely ridiculous.

Of course right on time with all of the rest of the knifing Bull**** in the UK.
Does anyone not realize it's just a ploy to criminalize a knife?

Are people that stupid? Ok I guess answered my own question.
How predictable.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by cleggy88

Don't you find it quite a sad way for a society to be? Coming from the UK I can't quite comprehend it myself. I know when I walk down the street I won't attack anyone so I have a trust in other people that they won't do the same. I would rather live in a society where we all carry no weapons and no-one attacks any one else, rather than a society where anyone or everyone could be carrying a weapon.

Maybe you think that everyone in America moves around wondering if the next guy is packing heat. That's not at all the case. I don't know about the UK, but in America we tend to just be comfortable in social situations. A smile goes a long way. I rather think that Americans are less concerned about these things than are you.

Wouldn't we all rather be in a society where no one attacks anyone? This is a matter of sociology/psychology rather than an issue about implements of destruction. It appears to me that you Brits have allowed these issues to be conflated such that no critical thinking can penetrate the real issue. You are the second person from the UK in this thread alone to display an eager willingness to abdicate your responsibility at the expense of your liberty. This is abhorrent, and it will not end well, I assure you.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
OK, the guy in the video is strong enough to hold the knife in and explode a watermelon, but I think if you stabbed a human or an animal with that, the knife would come flying out with explosive force rather than exploding the body. You wouldn't be strong enough to hold it in.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Distractions4Nothing

Yup, not exactly a clean kill.

The knifer would likely get a jet of blood and guts spraying him down with evidence.
This would increase the chances that he would be caught. I think banning this thing poses a risk to children. Their parents, who have been government-disarmed, will now have a means to defend their offspring effectively and with minimal effort.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
in a world with no weapons the man with a knife is king

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by applebiter
Maybe you think that everyone in America moves around wondering if the next guy is packing heat. That's not at all the case. I don't know about the UK, but in America we tend to just be comfortable in social situations. A smile goes a long way. I rather think that Americans are less concerned about these things than are you.

Wouldn't we all rather be in a society where no one attacks anyone? This is a matter of sociology/psychology rather than an issue about implements of destruction. It appears to me that you Brits have allowed these issues to be conflated such that no critical thinking can penetrate the real issue. You are the second person from the UK in this thread alone to display an eager willingness to abdicate your responsibility at the expense of your liberty. This is abhorrent, and it will not end well, I assure you.

Well I don't actually know how it is over there which I why I posted and said I can't quite comprehend it. I can totally appreciate that a smile goes a long way, when I walk past someone in the street I will always say hello.

I don't see how I am abdicating my responsibility by saying anyone caught with a knife without a proper purpose should be locked up. I don't have a problem with people using them for camping or whatever other legitimate purpose. It's when people are caught taking them into nightclubs or walking around the middle of a busy city with them in their pockets, it is in these situations that the knife is no longer a tool, it's sole purpose is as a weapon.

Of course the problem with this as I think you have already said is, take the knives off them and they will find something else. We do need to be tackling the reason behind it, not passing laws banning the weapon they are choosing to use at the time.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Here is a Hypothetical for you:

So there is a person walking in at night. He is carrying a knife in his pocket, it is not visible. He is stopped by the police. They want to know where he is going, where he is coming from and does he have anything illegal.

This Person has:
1)Right to Remain silent-
2)Right to be free from unlawful search and secure
3)Freedom to be secure in his person
4)The"Right" To empty his pockets, show his papers and account for his actions - but oh! he has knife. He can send himself to jail, saving the judiciary time and money.

But is this man a criminal?
-What would you do?

I seriously don't see how the policy you are suggesting could be applied to a Western society without subverting the constitution and the rights of the people. "Stop and Account" and "Right to Remain Silent" cannot coexist. Any society where both are found is schizophrenic - as in there is a Schism between multiple mindsets that is having a detrimental effect on the whole.

We mustn't let this knife be used to further the fascist agenda.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthTellist

Here is a Hypothetical for you:

So there is a person walking in at night. He is carrying a knife in his pocket, it is not visible. He is stopped by the police. They want to know where he is going, where he is coming from and does he have anything illegal.

This Person has:
1)Right to Remain silent-
2)Right to be free from unlawful search and secure
3)Freedom to be secure in his person
4)The"Right" To empty his pockets, show his papers and account for his actions - but oh! he has knife. He can send himself to jail, saving the judiciary time and money.

But is this man a criminal?
-What would you do?

I seriously don't see how the policy you are suggesting could be applied to a Western society without subverting the constitution and the rights of the people. "Stop and Account" and "Right to Remain Silent" cannot coexist. Any society where both are found is schizophrenic - as in there is a Schism between multiple mindsets that is having a detrimental effect on the whole.

We mustn't let this knife be used to further the fascist agenda.

Don't get me wrong, I can see this argument from both points of view. The government will probably use this as a way to have more control over us, something which I am not in favor of.

As for your hypothetical, what would be the person's reason for carrying that knife? I don't have a problem with people having them for a reason. I would have a problem with someone walking around a busy urban area with a knife on them, or out on a night out with a knife on them. In these situations as I said before the knife isn't there as a tool, it's there for the sole purpose of being a weapon. Why else would you take a knife into a nightclub?

The problems are you take away the knife, but your not really getting to the root of the problem, if there really is one and it's not the media over exaggerating the issue.

The other is that you can't have a rule for some people and not for others. I don't have a problem with law abiding citizens having knives for whatever purpose, I don't agree with teenagers and young adults having meat cleavers down their trousers. As unnamedninja has already said, there are some people who will start a fight with you for as little as looking in their direction, if they have a knife on them aswell and happen to be in that kind of mood, well we all know what could happen.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

We do know what would happen - you'd be attacked and have no means of defending yourself because your loving government has disarmed you both physically and mentally.
Whereas someone like applebiter would defend himself with whatever was at hand - and the criminal wouldn't be able to hurt anyone else for a long time if ever again.

"When the Police State outlaws knives only outlaws will have knives"

Solution: Get rid of the police state.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join