It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knife on sale that can freeze its victim

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916

To people thinking that gang members are gonna get their hands on these and go crazy, gang bangers alreafy know how to kill, and carry guns. If they want to knife you they are not gonna spend more than they need to to get a knife to stab you with. Crime will not go up just cause there is a new cool gadget on the market.

Don't get me wrong i don't think that crime will go up just because there is a new gadget on the market. And i know that gang bangers all over are not gonna go dashing to buy this knife. And believe me i know all too well that they have guns and use them, quite often where i'm at as a matter of fact.

However i do know that there are some (and not just gang bangers) that would use this knife on a human being just for the thrill of doing it.

I don't promote banning knives, i just don't believe that there is any reason for the general population to have a knife like this, it's not the same thing as someone carrying a pocket knife or swiss army knife. I also don't believe that someone that is not a surgeon (or in the medical proffession, with need of one) should possess a scapel, or that someone who is not in law enforcement should have possession of a badge.

I don't believe in infringing on anybody's rights, i just believe that there are certain things that have no business being in the hands of the general population.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Then the problem isn't the tool. The problem is the person who would use a tool to kill someone just for the thrill of it.

There are problems and there are symptoms. Pick your battles.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by applebiter

Agreed the problem is not the knife, but the person that would use it on another just for the thrill of what it could do.

But sometimes you have no other recourse but to make the tool inaccessable. IMO there is a legitimate reason for a person to have a pocket, swiss army, hunting, fishing, etc, knife, i just don't see a reason for people to have a knife like that.

Putting limitations on who can purchase that knife is not the same thing as banning knives, it is simply saying that this particular knife was invented for a specific purpose and is too dangerous to be used for any other purpose.

Believe me i'd rather not come up against anyone with a knife that had intentions of using it on me, but i'd much rather if i did it was a regular knife and not one that was capable of exploding and freezing my internal organs, call me naive but i believe i may have a much better chance of surviving.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

No, I fully understand you. I wonder if you fully understand the logical implications of your position, though. Ever read Harrison Bergeron? I recommend it.

instruct.westvalley.edu...

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Basicly I don't see this becoming to much of a problem on the street. Common sense kinda tells me a gun would be more logical when it comes to street violence unless you were sneaking up on sombody and didn't want the noise of a gun.

And as someone said earlier. I wouldn't wanna be in a knifes reach of a shark if I had a choice. I guess it could be logical for a bear because of the compact size but personally if a near wanted to attack me I'd rather get a fiew shots at it with a gun before it could get near me.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Spreadthetruth

Well seeing as the police cautioned him, then your point of a legal weapon doesn't matter. He wouldn't have got the caution if it was legal.

I tried to make the point before I can totally understand your viewpoint, why should you as a normal kinda guy not be able to carry a knife? I don't see why you shouldn't. I personally don't see a problem with it. I have fond memories as a lad cutting sticks up and so on, it's harmless. I'm not trying to argue that point at all.

I will continue my post tomorrow when I'm sober, would rather have a decent conversation. Better than you trying to understand my bad spelling and logic.

Applebiter - you have it spot on mate

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

You'll really have to explain what you're getting at now. I read it and can't see how it has anything to do with me saying that i feel that that particular knife shouldn't be in the hands of the general population.

I don't believe that all people could, or should be that the same, equal to each other in every way. I just don't believe that there is a reason for a knife like that. Do you believe that everyone should have access to hand grenades and tanks ?

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I will watch my blood flow into the sewer apple than to take a life. I'm pretty good at talking to people. Even freaked out pcp pts.
Yep
Call me crazy.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
The gangs in America would have a field day with that thing.

i have to respectfully disagree with you.

i mean c'mon, these kids are too lazy to get out of their cars to shoot someone, what makes anyone think they'd use a knife?

/sarcasm

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

You're still on my bugout team.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Damocles

More like they're too scared to get out of their cars to shoot someone. But that doesn't mean that they all are. I've seen quite a few of them runnin down the street shooting at people. Matter of fact a few years back there were about 20 of them chasing one of my nieghbors down the street, over half of them pulled out guns and started shooting.

And yes they do still use knives, and bats, bricks, bottles, their feet, whatever, you just don't see that on the news, you see it in the streets.

My point is more along the lines that there are many of them that seem to have such a contempt for life, and derive such pleasure at taking life, that they always seem to be looking for a new way to do it. There are those that would just love to be able to blow someone up from the inside out and then brag about what they did.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
In ancient Rome they wouldn't let the slaves own arms...

In fact, they even banned them from owning knives..

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
The truth is apple....
I have some major health issues.
I am making arangements.
Could well explain the psychology of my posts.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by applebiter
Honestly, I think this willingness to throw away personal freedom is irrational. There is an alternative explanation to paranoia, however, and that would be that you do not trust yourself with a knife. This may or may not be paranoia. I don't know, but you should. Do you trust yourself with a knife, or do you not think you should have the option of deciding this for yourself?

Trust myself with a knife? of course I do. Since I was around 10-15 I carried a knife with me all the time since I spent most of my free timing hanging out with mates in the woods. We were a bunch of survival geeks.

The reason I stopped carrying was because I no longer needed to. I don't drive, and recently I've needed to walk pretty late at night, and with nothing to defend yourself with it can get you pretty nervous. If it weren't for the law I probably would carry, heck I'd walk around with a sword if the law permitted it.

But the law is in place, I'm capable of looking at the bigger picture here and not selfishly considering my own security. This law does more for the greater good than it does for me personally. Me personally, I'm at the same amount of risk than before the law was in place.

Also this is something to think on, a lot of cases stabbers are not the aggressors. Many people have stabbed in self defence, against someone who wasn't even using a weapon. What are your thoughts on that?

[edit on 20-7-2008 by unnamedninja]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by unnamedninja

I would never "show" a knife or a gun unless I intended to use it. I wouldn't use a blade on an unarmed man, but I would hold it inside my fist, blade closed, to enhance my striking power.

The way you so casually shrug off taking responsibility for your own security makes me shudder a bit, honestly.

Thousands of years ago, something happened in human culture that made it possible for trade between peoples to occur. Prior to this something, a smaller man could never have hoped for a fair dealing with a larger man. There is some evidence to support that Mithra, as one of the angels in Zoroastrianism, was the angel who could be thanked for this development, and a handshake was a customary signal that one's weapon-wielding hand carried no weapon.

Your attitude sets us back thousands of years in this regard. Rather than face up to the inescapable fact that life is inherently dangerous, and take responsibility for your own well-being, it seems you would rather have mummy and daddy State take all of the dangerous bits out. Never mind that there are others who are quite comfortable with freedom, thank you very much.

I don't mean to attack you personally, but it is hard, as an American, to understand your point of view at all. One of our Yankee forefathers put it thus:

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
-- Patrick Henry

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   

I was just about to say something similiar, though not with your eloquence.

I am glad we have such a stout representative on these boards. Common sense and Sovereign personalities are clearly in deficit. This thread proves as much.

Your writing is enjoyable, I appreciate it.

Harrison Bergeron is an excellent fictitious example of existing ridiculous policies being extrapolated and enforced on a society.

You should have linked to the movie... but some here would probably think that future idyllic....

[edit on 20-7-2008 by TruthTellist]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   

I don't believe in infringing on anybody's rights, i just believe that there are certain things that have no business being in the hands of the general population.

Luckily you aren't in charge of determining who is "allowed" to own what.

I'm not a surgeon, and I am not employed in the medical field, but I have quite a few scalpels in my Sit X kits. Why shouldn't I be "allowed" to own them?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Originally posted by applebiter

I would never "show" a knife or a gun unless I intended to use it. I wouldn't use a blade on an unarmed man, but I would hold it inside my fist, blade closed, to enhance my striking power.

Well I wasn't asking you personally what you would do. What I was asking is what you think of the way that many knife carriers will use them in self defense against unarmed aggressors. I can understand, that in a panic someone incapable of defending themselves in a fist fight might pull a knife against a drunken idiot. But the law of self defense says you must use reasonable force. In a panic situation people will not be thinking of this law.

What I basically think is: Less knives on the streets is less stabbings. Whether it be from someone having their own knife use against them, a knife used in anger, or a knife used in questionable self defence.

Your attitude sets us back thousands of years in this regard. Rather than face up to the inescapable fact that life is inherently dangerous

Nono, I don't think you could have read everything I said. I know life is dangerous, every time I leave the house I'm in danger of accidents and psychos. Carrying a knife is just adding to my worries that I could also be arrested.

I don't mean to attack you personally, but it is hard, as an American, to understand your point of view at all. One of our Yankee forefathers put it thus:

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
-- Patrick Henry

I can understand people finding truth in quotes like those. It really just depends on your personal line in the sand, the line between slavery and freedom is different for everybody.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by unnamedninja]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Do you believe that everyone should have access to hand grenades and tanks ?

Yes.

The 2nd Amendment protects the right of the people to own such things. Unfortunately the government doesn't care to follow the Constitution.

Equally important, we don't convict people on what they MIGHT do, only what they actually do.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join