It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN reporter criticizes TSA, finds self on terror watch list

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

CNN reporter criticizes TSA, finds self on terror watch list

rawstory.com

"Coincidentally, this all began in May, shortly after I began a series of investigative reports critical of the TSA. Eleven flights now since May 19. On different airlines, my name pops up forcing me to go to the counter, show my identification, sometimes the agent has to make a call before I get my ticket," Griffin reported. "What does the TSA say? Nothing, at least nothing on camera. Over the phone a public affairs worker told me again I'm not on the watch list, and don't even think that someone in the TSA or anyone else is trying to get even."

The TSA, which is a part of the Department of Homeland Security, said Griffin's name wasn't even on the watch list, and the agency blamed the airlines for the delays the reporter experienced. The airlines, on the other hand, said they were simply following a list provided by TSA.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I wonder how many of us ATS'ers are on the watch list???

Dissent = Terrorist

Administration Critic = Terrorist

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Leo Strauss]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
TSA. What a bunch of losers.

TSA=Thugs (or Thousands) Standing Around.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Here is the video.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Maybe it has to do with CNN receiving special treatment from Saddam Hussein in exchange for favorable coverage before his removal?

Just thinking out loud......

Carry on....

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Has anyone been to St. Louis and seen TSA "agents" during a shift change? If you have been to the DMV, It's much the same. If every TSA agent is not on the terror watch list, passenger jets will be used as weapons again.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I gotta say I'm a little shocked this thread isn't lighting up the boards. An MSM report on just how broad terrorism is being defined by DHS seems very significant to me. This makes it clear that an American citizen speaking out against the administration or its bureaucracies can be branded as a potential terrorist. Where was this bureaucratic diligence when the administration flew the bin Laden family home after 9/11??

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Maybe it has to do with CNN receiving special treatment from Saddam Hussein in exchange for favorable coverage before his removal?

Just thinking out loud......

Carry on....

Wow RRConservative, sticking up for the admin.. am I dreaming..

There one thing to be loyal, it is another to be blind and submissive.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
When I see things like this growing terrorist watch list happening, I think of this
"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."
Niemöller

A person might think that he will never end up on the watch list, but then the definition of terror changes, and so does the list.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I am on this list and have been for quite a long time.I actually found one very nice person that had to do the phone call on me explain why even though she knew she could get in trouble for it. I was told that they only use names and don't use things such as your drivers license number or SS# to check.Hence I am on the list because someone in Georgia has the exact same name as I do and they are a felon.Boom anyone with the same name as I have is automatically put on the list.They have been doing this for years now.You can never get off the list she told me until they change their policy to use your drivers License or SS#.It is simply a poor system setup by TSA not bureaucratic political stuff.It is a royal pain in the butt for many of us that must fly regularly for work, but now I don't fly much if at all anymore.

There is no conspiracy to this one truthfully just poor management.

[edit on 7/17/2008 by CaptGizmo]

[edit on 7/17/2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmoYou can never get off the list she told me until they change their policy to use your drivers License or SS#.It is simply a poor system setup by TSA not bureaucratic political stuff.It is a royal pain in the butt for many of us that must fly regularly for work, but now I don't fly much if at all anymore.

Wouldn't be easier if they just made you wear a Tazer Bracelet?

What about carry a national ID at all times?

Or what if they just embedded a chip in your skin? Maybe in your right hand, or forehead...

So you believe that because they created a flawed system from the start that there is no way to ever get off the list? I find that extremely hard to believe. They could start from scratch. Or chuck the list completely, and not require grandmothers with the same name as some felon to be strip searched.

Problem. Reaction. Solution. There is a conspiracy going on.... Sorry.
DocMoreau

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Weird, I wouldn't think that TSA had a dog in that fight. I would think that their job was to screen passengers, not make policy. Makes me wonder how you even decided the two relate.

Plus the timing is completely off.... The Saddam/CNN friendship was years ago, where the critical story about TSA was a week before the reporter got on the list. Also, only the reporter got on the list, not every employee of CNN. It would be interesting if the reporter on the TSA story were the same one on the Saddam pieces that you mentioned (but provide no 'proof' of)

I think that you must not have even looked at the story before you posted... or you are just here trolling for red herring. I would think if you were here to distract, you would have probably come with something 'tighter'...

DocMoreau
(I know that you are not a Joke, and that you were joking, but come on, do you think that its only Democrats on the list? Doubt it...)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Hey, maybe you could change your real name to CaptGizmo! Shouldn't be many of those on the list.

Bah, I quit flying to avoid all the hassles. I used to enjoy it. I feel bad that people younger than me have to put up with all the increasing crap to do the same things I used to do. Sigh, I guess every new generation gets used to putting up with more complexities.

A colleague's 5 year old son was not allowed to board the family's flight until he was cleared. This system is tragically cluttered. And, yes, where are the reference points for sorting out a 5 year old from an adult?

I thought that the list was supposed to be for "terrorists", those who would do harm by using an airplane or those not allowed entry into the country. Why would an American felon be on the list? A reporter? A nun?

Ok, maybe they're screening for passengers who would be voted least desirable to sit next to. Could be...ever travel by bus these days? OTOH sitting next to someone who talks to themselves is not as bad, or as scary, as listening to current POTUS.

Get off my lawn!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

Well the system was set up right after 911 in a climate that everyone was screaming for the government to do something to protect us.This was a screening process set up in haste and unfortunately has of yet to be changed or tweaked if you will.Look, I hate a lot of what is happening to our civil liberties but you can't scream for the government to do something to stop airlines from being hijacked and then when they do as flawed as it is scream they are taking away my civil liberties,this is unconstitutional,etc.etc.It is a pain ...yes...but you still get on that plane don't you?A little inconvenience for safety. I think I will go with safety any day.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I'll just say, if they tell you that you're invited to the "Magnolia room" after you buy your tickets, tell them no. The room isn't anything pleasant, as the name implies.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Either TSA is lying or Griffin is lying. Reporters lie and the government lies. That kind of cancels this out making it a non story. Airlines counter people are some of the most practiced liars on earth I think

What is a story is the list of a million people
That is completely out of control.

Perhaps this Griffin is a real jerk and he brings it on himself. I fly often and I've never had a bad experience or seen anyone else have a problem. The TSA people are polite. Even when they pat me down, which is rare, they are respectful in my experience.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Just another bunch of thugs with guns and badges. What else can you say they want people to fear them, if you dont, look out, when are we the public going to get tired of this. God I wished I could leave this country.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I fly with FIREARMS all the time. I'm not on a list. TSA is always helpfull. The only problem I have is they take so much time because they love to play with my Ivory handled ingraved Colts. Seems most I've run into are fellow shooters and want to have a good look. Must be a political ideology thing!!!!

Zindo

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
My stepdad found himself on the no-fly list for the longest time but then they decided that the VA pharmacist wasn't a turrorist. Quite a gubbermint we have here.........

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Wait until this list ends up being able to be accessed by your employer when doing a background check that is now required by the Gov. Now that will be effective control of what you say and think now wont it.

This IS a conspiracy and when the next administration gets into power they will pick up the tools this one left behind. Thats how it works so people like RR can say "its not the gubberment, its the libs!!"

Edit for typo

[edit on 17-7-2008 by LoneGunMan]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join