It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fascist Police State: More Cops conducting illegal checkpoints and violating 4th amendment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
People, something HUGE is happening to this nation. Our rights are eroding daily, and we are now on the cusp of total police state totalitarianism and martial law. We are watching paramilitary operations being carried out on domestic soil in mainstream america, as well as Mercenary corporations operating in public areas. DHS is giving grants to Law Enforcement agencies to fight "domestic terrorism". Just yesterday, I posted the following thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here we have a cop, who claims that taking his picture is a crime and subsequently ARRESTS the civilian for doing so!

Now in the following video below, an equally (or perhaps even MORE) disturbing scenario takes place-A civilian, standing on a public sidewalk is video-taping a "shakedown checkpoint" being conducted by cops where they are basically just flagging anonymous vehicles into a parking lot and LOOKING for things that they can arrest or cite them for, WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE.

Then, to top it off, ANOTHER cop tells this civilian HE HAS NO RIGHT to video-tape this shakedown, and intimidates him to turn the camera off and leave, even though he is standing on a PUBLIC SIDEWALK!

This is quite a disturbing trend that is replaying itself. Illegal shakedown checkpoints, and law enforcement who are claiming it is ILLEGAL to document what they are up to!! Smells like a Fascist Police State to me!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It's not illegal to videotape a cop in public or on your own property. the only time it's illegal is when you are right in their face obstructing their ability to do their job. but thats the rub. I've personally seen cops try and argue that a guy 100 feet away was obstructing his ability to perform his duties. thats complete BS and an abuse of their power. last time I checked cops can't make stuff up to get an arrest. the do it all the time and they get away with it but thats illegal too.

I remember watching a horrific car accident with another 200 witness standing right next to me. it was the cops fault. there were even lawyers present that saw it and said that it was the cops fault. the cop reckless behavior caused 3 girls to get mauled in the car accident by the wreckage.

The cops and detective showed up soon after. They immediatly without an investigation blamed the civilians. in fact they would read the witness statements back completely falsly. ie...
witness- I saw everything the cop did this unsafe move and slammed into a car and mangled those three girls.

detective- so you're saying it was all the civilians fault.

witness- no it's the cops fault I saw the whole thing

detective- I'm going to have to ask you to leave immediatly becasue you are obstructing justice.

Actually told the news reporters who were standing 100 feet away on the other side of the street filming the incident-could have been the dialog over the police scanners that got their attention to a new story unfolding- by the same police that night that they were going to be arrested for obstructing justice. the news reporters about 5 different channels all immediatly recited the laws and their rights with lawyers in the background who were also witness nodding in agreement.

The cops said that if they didn't stop filming immediatly they would all be arrested. they then told all 200 people including people who were on private property like on the patios of restaurants that they all needed to leave right now or they would all be arrested.

Sounds like what the cops were doing was illegal. especially since these witness wee nowhere near the police or interfereing with their activities in any way.

the next day in the LA times it had an article. Horrible accident involving LAPD and a group of girls driving their own vehicle. Police report civilians at fault. I could describe what the cop was doing and why the grousome accident was their fault and everybody reading it would agree.

it's amazing what the police get away with, and sadly ll the time.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Let them try to checkpoint up here in my city once. The police stay out of the west end of my city for a reason, i doubt i'll be seeing one around here for sometime.

Here's everything you need to know law-wise about the 4th amendment

4th Amendment

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Xilvius]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
OMG... thats disgusting. we need to take charge. and a question: why dont people do something about this? i mean almost every person in this country just sits their and lets stuff happen. some cops nearly arrested a few of my friends for standing on a sidewalk for get this "dressing in a way that could scare people" they were waring identicle camo out fits.
cops have to much power. in my town we have 3 cops in jail because several of us have gotten jobs as cops and arrested fellow officers because of unlawfull actions. so in my town WE CONTROLL the police force which is very nice and so from now on we no longer deal with this. thanks for posing this its very important

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I hope we have more cops. IT makes me feel safe. (NOT!!!)

I have nothing intelligent to comment.

Great post.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I personally haven't seen these done here ,but I know during holidays they are done to ensure safer driving conditions due to intoxication. While it maybe a violation of the 4th amendment, I would also state that if they didn't do the drunk checkpoint on holidays, statistically there would be more drunk driving accidents and drunk driving deaths. The problem is how can we keep both without taking something away? Are you going to take away the freedom of commerce for people selling the alcohol? Are you going to take the freedom to drive away from everyone? its a no win situation and while I don't approve of checkpoint that have no purpose other then getting quotas I do approve the use of them for holidays when the amount of drinking goes up and people that think they can still drive.

Just my opinions though.

-Aza

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Okay, I have a few things to point out here about this video that seems to be lacking altogether, and it bothers Me totally as to the person who is filming it.

1) No city nor state name is supplied, which might explain the reasoning more so for the checkpoint.

2) There is no video of anyone being "actually searched" but a checkpoint is there, that is obvious.

3) The person filming seems to to be an easily intimidated person, going by his speech patterns, choice of words, and the fact that he is constantly "uh uh uh" in his own video/audio recording.

My reasoning behind stating what I did about the city and state name is simple, we don't know whether this is a small town where these things do not happen regularly, or somewhere near South Central and Compton, where it does happen all the time. I am not arguing the point here that it's against the 4th Amendment of the Constitution, I am however pointing out very obvious and valid reasons I see there are facts left out. Is this something the person who filmed it did, either by accident, or on purpose to leave it in question.

The video shows that this is a night-time operation by Law Enforcement, which makes one wonder if it is an D.U.I. checkpoint, which are done all the time in cities, I've seem them, been through them, and they are totally legal. It's only a minor inconveniance.

As for the person's right or lack of right to film a Police Operation, I'm still not arguing that point, but the Officer who came up to this indiviual asked questions, and I'm wondering if the Officer was wondering for what reason he and his fellow Officers were being filmed. You do know that some Law Enforcement Officer's are paranoid of being filmed based on the points I've made here within this post, correct?

They know the United States of America is a country where people are crazy about sueing Law Enforcement over the stupidest and slightest misinterpretation of what is going on based on a civilian who is not in the know about any facts, like I raised questions about here.

I was a Police Explorer in the town where I currently still reside, back when I was a teenager, I've helped with traffic-stops, and directed traffic, as well as seen how people treat Law Enforcement from this perspective. I've also been a Security Officer with badge and uniform and just even having the badge and uniform was enough to have people screaming and cussing Me out when I was there as a meditating force in the hospital I used to work in.

Yes, thanks in part to idiotic and stupid people, on both sides of this particular area, both civilian and Law Enforcement, things are misinterpreted as well as mistakes are made.

Even if I didn't know all the facts when dealing with people, when I was in uniform, I talked in a calm and cool manner, even when people were screaming their head off at Me, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, I have had people de-escalated within a matter of moments, and I've had people who should have calmed down escalate for no other reason that I reminded them of a particular Law Enforcement they loved to hate, having found that out via another Security Officer who dealt with them and they told them the facts.

Utilizing the fact that I am detective-minded here, I'm not going to call into question whether it was a violation of this individual's 4th Amendment rights, but I am calling into question the validity of him stating this was an illegal checkpoint. I use that same detective-minded ability to ask questions, that lead to questions, that lead to questions, that lead to the answers I am seeking, which is why I have been abused, accused, and confused for a Law Enforcement Officer since I was 18 and I am currently now 35.

The fact that I would take the time on here, to question the validity of this video, should show I am thinking about this video and the posts, and trying to be neutral as possible.

I understand abuse of power by Law Enforcement, as well as Government, I've seen it firsthand. Both can get heavy-handed at times, and I do see a lot of troubling things going on in our current Administration, I am hoping beyond hope though that Bush goes out of office with a whimper instead of a bang.

Oh yeah, one more thing, a Law Enforcement helicopter generally only flies around any checkpoint where a foot pursuit or felony evade and elude or escaped prisoner are at. They might have been searching for someone at that time who fits this as we have all watched the television show COPS at one time or another to know that for fact.

Most people do not know that the "Rodney King beating" happened the way it did because Rodney King was higher than a kite when the Officer's ordered him down on the ground. Speaking from first-hand experience while dealing with drug-induced individuals at the hospital, people do not always understand what is going on and lash out due to the drugs altering their state of awareness. From ecstacy where an individual in sexually aroused to PCP where a person is out of control altogether, drugs mess people up in the head.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I have a couple of thoughts to share. My thoughts and $2 will get you a large coffee so, take them with a grain of sand.

I'm not a lawyer or a policeman. Just a regular old "Joe".

Checkpoints have been challenged in court, all across this country since the advent of DUI checkpoints back in the 70's. As I am not a lawyer, this is a laymens' interpretation:

1. "Checkpoints", on their face, are not unconstitutional
  2. From my (weak) Google-Kung Fu it seems that as long s the enforcement agency is demonstratively 'fair' checkpoints are OK
  3. From what I can find, this 'fairness' varies from state to state and even municipality to municipality
  4. What "Fair" means: everyone goes through the checkpoint, however, only every fifth car (for example) is actually "detained". Thereby creating some "randomness"

Now, don't shoot the messenger. I am not saying I agree with any of this. I am only relaying my totally laymens understanding.

Personally, I don't (and never have) liked law enforcement fishing expeditions - which checkpoints usually are IMO. I understand the need to protect the public at large but I also don't see why I should be detained (liberty prevented) even for a short time when I am doing nothing more than going about my business.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Nice find DD.

I've just invited the person who shot that video clip to join in on the discussion here, hopefully he'll accept the invitation and can provide some additional details about his confrontation.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
the police do trick people. For example without plain sight or probable cause you can refuse to allow a cop to search your car all you have to do is say no when they ask. simple as that. but on cops i cant count how many times cops do this number:

Do you have any weapons in the car?
"No"
Do you have anything i need to know about?
"No"
Do you mind if I search your car?

and the idiot says no and ends up in jail. Thats exploiting people ignorance by not telling them their rights coupled w/ the fact that the cops are wasting time arresting a guy for a joint when there are rapists running around free literally in my own home town!

[edit on 17-7-2008 by BlackenedAngel]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
A way to get out of that situation is

Do you have any weapons in your car?
Yes and I have a permit.

or

Yes but its a rifle in the trunk

Do you have something I need to know about?
No

(unless you are hiding something, then its your fault for saying no)

Can I search your car?
Yes
(why would you care if they searched it unless there was something to hide?)

While I am sure there are blantant violations of rights some are needed especially the holiday drunk driver checkpoints. There is good and bad as people have free will and based off their personality they will do either what they think is right or whatever they want.

As for the arresting for a joint, your right about thats. I don't condone drugs in anyway but something like that is pretty worthless unless the guy has like more then 10 lbs in the car. You don't want to get me started on what rapists should get.

But like with most of my posts its only my opinion you can take it or leave it.

-Aza

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
yeah police are becoming outrageous...i spent four months in jail for cussing a cop out after he pushed and threw a friend of mine on the ground for "talking to loud and moving erraticly"...they charged me with second degree assault on a police officer and made up some story about me attempting to charge and grab the officer...The district attorney even called me a terrorist in court
...These people are insane

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
True story...

Was traveling with 2 friends to the shore for a fishing trip and was pulled over by a state trooper in Virginia. Trooper stated I was pulled over for speeding (not so sure I was - but I played along) and surrendered my driver's license, proof of insurance and registration.

Officer returns to my vehicle and asks me to exit the vehicle. He then requestes that I move the front of his cruiser and lean on the hood; I do. He asks "Do you have any weapons on you or in your vehicle?" "No" I respond. "Do either of your friends have any weapons?" "Not that I am aware of" I state. "Do you or your friends have any contraband such as drugs?" "None that I am aware of sir" I respond. "So you'll have no problem if I search your vehicle?" "Yes sir, I would have a problem with you searching my vehicle" I replied. "So what is it you're trying to hide?" "Nothing sir, I'm simply protecting my 4th Ammendment rights." I state.

He tells me to wait there and keep my hands where he can see them and gets into his car and gets on the radio. I can't hear what he's saying but he comes back out and says, "Look there's two ways we can do this... You can give me permission to search your car now or we can sit here for the next 4 hours waiting for the warrant to come back and search it then. Which do you want it to be?" "Well," I said, "I think I'd rather wait for 4 hours for the warrant to come back so that we can make sure that everything is all legal and above board here."

He gets back in his car and gets back on his radio. Spends a few minutes floundering around with paper and such and comes back from his car handing me a clip board with a form attached and asks me to sign on the red line. He explains that he is giving me a warning for failure to obey a posted sign, namely speed limit. I notice that there is a box checked stating that I have given consent to the officer to search my vehicle so I refuse to sign the document. He became extremely agitated and threatened to arrest me for failing to comply with police orders.

I offered to be arrested and stated that I am within my right to disobey a police order when that order directly violates my rights to begin with; namely the order to sign a document that voluntarily surrenders my 4th Ammendment rights against my will. I counter that perhaps if he were to write up a proper warning documenting that I did NOT consent to a vehicle search I would more than happy to sign it. At about that time, the Lt. showed up and the two of the them talked behind his cruiser for a few minutes. The Lt. then came up to me, handed me my license, registration and insurance card and told me I was free to go and told me I was "Lucky" that I wasn't going to jail right now and I "Had better be careful."

The reason I am relating this story is because this was a shake-down; nothing more, nothing less. This constitutes harrassment. When I got back in my car and was driving away my buddy assured me that I had not been speeding - he could see the speedo from the back seat. I didn't think I was as I had the cruise control set for the speed limit or about 2 or 3 miles over it. This cop saw the opportunity to shake us down and tried. I honestly think that his Lt. talked some sense into him and told him that he had stopped someone that knew their rights and that I was more likely to cause them problems than the games were worth, that is why i got let go.

It's important for people to know their rights and know when to RESPECTFULLY challenge authority to demonstrate that you do know your rights and that you are not afraid to defend them. Too many people allow themselves to be bullied about or threatened to simply surrender all of their rights to police for no good justifiable reason. Stand your ground and avoid the shakedown. Beyond that always be respectful and sensitive to the fact that most police are very good people and are just trying to do their jobs. Obey their orders, keep your hands in plain sight and call them "Sir" or "Ma'am". Never be afaid to let them know that you know and understand your rights and everything will be ok.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
True story...

He explains that he is giving me a warning for failure to obey a posted sign, namely speed limit. I notice that there is a box checked stating that I have given consent to the officer to search my vehicle so I refuse to sign the document.

When i read this I almost died laughing. Cop tried to trick you...Funniest thing i've seen in a while...."I'll just check this box he'll never notice" HAHAHAHA

[edit on 17-7-2008 by AgnosticX]

[edit on 17-7-2008 by AgnosticX]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
And remember . It's only 75$ to buy a copy of the dash cam recording of your encounter. That 75$ can be the difference between the truth and there "word"

Great way to get them to commit Perjury themselves also .

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SystemiK
Nice find DD.

I've just invited the person who shot that video clip to join in on the discussion here, hopefully he'll accept the invitation and can provide some additional details about his confrontation.

I'll be interested to see if he does post something on here or not. If he does, I've got a lot of questions for him. No, none of them are about his name, address, or none of that, I am not a Police Officer.

I am however not stupid in the least. He stated to the Officer he was interested in sending the video in to Alex Jones, so this means he has an agenda, as well as leaving the date, day of the week, and time out of this video, means either he is not professional, or again has an agenda. When someone loads a video with words scrolling across it, they have an agenda, as evidenced by MSNBC, Fox News, and CNBC, so this guy, has an agenda of some sort, whether he is being completely honest about the content of the video, or whether he is flat out lieing in order to smash Law Enforcement's images, the truth will eventually come out.

Just because we have Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum in the White House, does not mean all Law Enforcement are following their stupid orders to the letter. This would be just as insane as saying ALL Law Enforcement Officers are Fascist Nazi Cops, or ALL Law Enforcement Officers are Crooked Cops, it's just not logical. Sorry, while I know there are people who fit that designation, they are not all that way.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
My sister in law got a DUI the other night and she said that the cop confiscated her money in her wallet for a 'booking fee'.

Unheard of! But that's what they now have the right to do. She had only beer money in her possession, 30 bucks or so, but still...

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Just to let you know that it is not illegal to perform these checkpoints. They are not shakedowns but are aimed at curbing drinking and driving, burnt out headlights, stolen cars, and etc. It was wrong for those police officers to harass that gentleman for video taping them.

But I'm just letting you guys know that the checkpoint is perfectly legal.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
the cops are FAR scarier than any terrorists, i think. they are drunk with power, and enjoy hurting and intimidating people. they ARE above the law, even though 'legally' they aren't, because that is the reality.
huge kudos to darkaner. cops like you are few and far between.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
For most cops, I would say that there just thugs with a badge and gun. I live in a state where this happens to often. One thing that comes to mind is the fact that a convicted child molester was a cop. He was hired by the mayor of this town and he was also dating the idiots daughter. When the press got wind of this they tried to play it down but they were forced to let him go, but he was allowed to keep his badge and go to another city and work how f@#$% up is this. This is just one of many, many other cases I know of.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join