It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Hussein Obama has an Arabic accent?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Obama: Man of the World

select.nytimes.com

Mr. Obama recalled the opening lines of the Arabic call to prayer, reciting them with a first-rate accent. In a remark that seemed delightfully uncalculated (it’ll give Alabama voters heart attacks), Mr. Obama described the call to prayer as “one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit - Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 7/16/2008 by JacKatMtn]

[edit on 16-7-2008 by WhatTheory]

Regarding re-edit of title:

Mod Note: You Have An Urgent U2U- Click Here.

[edit on 7/17/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Here's the Muslim call to prayer.
And he is supposed to be a "Christian" who was never brought up Muslim and yet he knows it, even with a accent?

I think the key word here is that he 'recited' the prayer. Hmm...

1 Allah u Akbar, Allah u Akbar
-- Allah is Great, Allah is Great

2-Ash-hadu al-la Ilaha ill Allah - Ash-hadu al-la Ilaha ill Allah
-- I bear witness that there is no divinty but Allah

3 Ash-hadu anna Muhammadan Rasulullaah
-- I bear witness that Muhammad is Allah's Messenger

Ash-hadu anna Muhammadan Rasulullaah.
-- I bear witness that Muhammad is Allah's Messenger

4 Hayya la-s-saleah - Hayya la-s-saleah
-- Hasten to the prayer, Hasten to the prayer

5 Hayya la-l-faleah - Hayya la-l-faleah
-- Hasten to real success, Hasten to real success,

6 Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar
-- Allah is Great, Allah is Great

7 La Ilaha ill Allah
-- There is no divinity but Allah

select.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-7-2008 by WhatTheory]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
To answer the question of the title....So what?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

You really should learn to follow the rules of this community. Remember it is a volunteer community and you don't have to participate but you DO have to follow the rules.

The T&C's clearly state the title of a post in this forum should be the title of the news article, not your interpretation of it.

Now I understand why you have issues with other rules in other threads, such as the Geneva Convention.

Don't worry, the MODS will be along soon enough to correct your error.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Tomis_Nexis

Exactly! spot on man.

What difference does it make? does it make him an enemy of the state just because he has a Arabic accent?......No it doesn't.

If JFK had spoken with a perfect German accent during his visit would that have made him a Nazi? No

If GWB was giving a speech in Israel and spoke in perfect Hebrew, does that make him Jewish...no.........who am I kidding, we all know he has problems with the English language so I doubt he could read beyond a 6th grade level, thats why he makes up his own words sometimes.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Even though Barak may flip flop a bit, I can't help but feel sympathy for him, all this bashing, his strength is amazing me.

Edit, deleted a sentence.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Tomis_Nexis]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
These are all reasons NOT to vote for "mr Obama"! "Lack of sensitivity to other nationalities"? No # butthead! How about a little sensitivity to the way AMERICANS do things? I mean, it's not like we have a tried and true method of huge success here or anything!

"...it makes me much more mindful of the importance of issues like personal security or freedom from corruption..." from Chicago? Who does he think he's fooling? Oh yeah, some NY Times propoganda artist- er I mean journalist...

"As a senator, Mr. Obama has not only seized the issue of nuclear proliferation..." HUH? BS!
"... but also the question of small arms..." Yeah, like we shouldn't be allowed to own any! "...For a majority of the world’s inhabitants, those AK-47s and R.P.G.’s are the weapons of mass destruction..." What has that got to do with us?

So according to the idiot tha wrote this article, the best choice for president is some little trouble making Jakarta street kid from the broken home of selfish people who couldn't wait for communisim to finally destroy Earths last great hope.

F-ing brilliant!

I hope this fight pours out into the streets...

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
If JFK had spoken with a perfect German accent during his visit would that have made him a Nazi?

Probably not, but at least he wouldn't have said he was a jelly donut!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gatordone

WOW! I think I just found my new best friend!!

There's a certain protocol or unwritten rule concerning actions like these. Right after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor would you have wanted one of our leaders reciting the Japanese anthem in a perfect Japanese accent. I'm sure that would have gone over well.

I just think it's time to stop all the sensitivity classes and speak our collective minds. Hey it bothers some people and you can count me in. Who the hell made the rule that we have to be OK with everything? I'd like the person's name so I can send them a little note.

Becker

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

You really should learn to follow the rules of this community. Remember it is a volunteer community and you don't have to participate but you DO have to follow the rules.

The T&C's clearly state the title of a post in this forum should be the title of the news article, not your interpretation of it.

Now I understand why you have issues with other rules in other threads, such as the Geneva Convention.

Since you are NOT a mod, why don't you mind your own business for a change. You are like the little kid who is a tattletale.

Hey, I'm sure there are rules about making a post which has nothing to do with the topic. So thanks for NOT commenting about the topic.
Good grief!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Originally posted by Quazga

Since you are NOT a mod, why don't you mind your own business for a change. You are like the little kid who is a tattletale.

Hey, I'm sure there are rules about making a post which has nothing to do with the topic. So thanks for NOT commenting about the topic.
Good grief!

Yup friend you tell the truth and the terrorist lovers pour in. This guy is like a little baby
seal, slippery and slimy. If this liberal went telling in my town... Well I'll listen to your warning. Thous liberal moderdators already trying to string me up for speaking truths?
This ain't America no more, sometimes I hope the terrorist lovers are rite about the president so we can shut em up alredy. Lock em up and throw away the keys!

bye the way if your down in Hazard county next month there having a liberal hunt with paint guns. Don;t worry they ain't real liberals. If they was then I would us my bucky
They also have bbq, terrorist hog tie and the best pie you ever had. All the money is for chairity. Anyhow I don;t even know where you live

This is a great post though- Obama that terrorist lover that is a terrorist

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Darned computer button

[edit on 16-7-2008 by winged patriot]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

What's funny is that your link is in total praise of Obama and kind of makes fun of people who are "afraid" of his ability to produce an accent-free Arabic phrase.

By the way, there are certain things I can say with an impeccable Spanish accent.

So, your point is what? He's a Man of the World, as the title of the article says. That's cool!

[edit on 17-7-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm sure there are many members in the current Administration that can fluently recite the Torah with a very decent Hebrew accent. So what?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tomis_Nexis

OP gives me the impression he's afraid of a none white in power. Yeah, I'm playing the race card, because this is exactly what it is.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
What's funny is that your link is in total praise of Obama and kind of makes fun of people who are "afraid" of his ability to produce an accent-free Arabic phrase.

Yeah, it is sort of funny.
However, while the article attempts to spin it as a positive, I believe it's a huge negative. I guess it all depends on one's point of view.

By the way, there are certain things I can say with an impeccable Spanish accent.

Ok, good for you.
But this is not the point. A lot of people can do that.
The point is that he knew the muslim prayer by heart without reading it and also that he sounds like Arabic is his normal tongue. How is it that a 'chrisitan' would know this prayer? How is it that he can recite it perfectly as if it was his language? A person must have repeated the prayer over and over and over again to get it so perfectly. Then he says it's the most beautiful sound on Earth. PUKE! If you were really a christian, I would think a christian song would sound better than a muslim song. Anyway, just piling on the evidence which I believe points to Obama not being 100% truthful about himself.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

OP gives me the impression he's afraid of a none white in power. Yeah, I'm playing the race card, because this is exactly what it is.

A) Quoting yourself is like talking to yourself which is a sign of impending mental collapse.

B) You are so far off base it's laughable. How on Earth do you get racist? It makes no sense. The color of one's skin has nothing to do with it. I realize this is an easy out for you to imply since you cannot think for yourself and must spew the same old tired talking points. I can think of some black people I would vote for President but Obama is not one of them. Or do you think Muslim is a race? Muslim is a religion and not a race. Thought I should mention that in case you are confused.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by WhatTheory]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

A) Quoting yourself is like talking to yourself which is a sign of impending mental collapse.

B) You are so far off base it's laughable. How on Earth do you get racist? It makes no sense. The color of one's skin has nothing to do with it. I realize this is an easy out for you to imply since you cannot think for yourself and must spew the same old tired talking points. I can think of some black people I would vote for President but Obama is not one of them. Or do you think Muslim is a race? Muslim is a religion and not a race. Thought I should mention that in case you are confused.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by WhatTheory]

So now you bash because you're a racist. Keep up the good work.

Edit, and I don't mean Muslims as a race. The title of your thread should have nothing with voting and selecting a prez.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by Tomis_Nexis]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Say what you want about me and about my intellect, go and complain about my next comment. But you're a racist.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Oh well. I'm not a Muslim or even close to this religion, but I do like the sound of that prayer. If one is good with languages and has a good ear, it's not a big deal to recite it relatively correctly. So much is made of, it's kind of amazing actually.

It's even more amazing to me that some Americans go to Israel to volunteer and serve in the IDF and nobody cares that they act as citizens of a different nation (there was an article in NYT a while ago). Or Bill Clinton declares that he would "grab a rifle and jump into a trench" to defend Israel against hypothetical invaders. To me, this behavior exposes a lot more duplicity and disloyalty to America than an innocent recital of a certain cultural relic.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join