It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Hell actually a more preferable destination than Heaven?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
under the assumption that heaven and hell actually exist, of course heaven would be preferable to hell. Hell would be an eternity of ultimate torment. So even if you were a masochist, they would have something just for you.

Heaven on the other hand, as described in biblical scriptures and by christians in general wouldn't be so much my cup of tea either though. I imagine it like being stuck at a family reunion for an eternity. Surrounded by loved ones... but for how long? Plus, I would probably be thinking about how unfair it is to send people to hell for breaking simple rules, and that would consume most of my time, until I pissed someone off by bringing it up too much.

Heaven seems to be reserved for people that don't thrive on questioning authority and asking for justifications/reasons for various things. More of a follow-the-leader crowd. Well, literally I suppose, right?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
God gave us 6 days a week to ourselves to live and follow in Gods way. the 7th day (the sabbath) "saturday" is the day we are supposed to praise and worship God for everything.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
God gave us 6 days a week to ourselves to live and follow in Gods way. the 7th day (the sabbath) "saturday" is the day we are supposed to praise and worship God for everything.

the OP also stated that "he who does not love remains in death..."

does that mean that if we do not follow God we remain dead after death? like no after life?
that is how i see it..... u have the choice to live on, shoulder to shoulder w/ God himself, or remain dead w/ nothing after death.
i dont believe there is a heaven and hell. we r given free will to make decisions and given the chance to truly see what Gods way of life can be if followed. (no sin) but who knows what sin is really a sin.
is saying a curse word a sin?
is eating pork a sin?
hell is eating meat a sin?

we just dont know anymore. Gods word has been manipulated into what man wants to believe and what fears they wanted instilled into the populations of time.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The difference between heaven and hell will be ever so slight since we all have eternal souls. For example, while I'm dining on my pork chop, Dubya will get the bones.

Not so bad, unless you're Dubya.

[edit on 7/16/2008 by garyo1954]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Hell, sin, the devil, fear, anxiety,hate, anger, violence, terror, war and finally death are simply projected beliefs of ones thoughts from the mind of ones egoic self in each moment of time and space in the illusion within the Holographic Dream matrix.
Of which that we all think and are currently thinking we live in separated bodies walking around with seemingly separated minds encased in a fatty substance called a brain.
So the Truth is; Heaven is a certainty of reality which is beyond the veil of physicality of any form or of consciousness where one finally recognizes once and for all for all eternity, that we are all at One with each other and All That Is(Infinite Pure Love.)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Being an atheist, I don't believe in either.

Anyways, I don't think many religions' hells are bad enough (you heard me, NOT bad enough). They always preach about the physical pain you would endure, like fire and torture. In "my" hell, there would be physical pain for sure, but also severe emotional suffering as well.

Have any of you seen 1408? There are a couple of things in that movie that would be in my hell. The movie is about a guy who goes into a haunted hotel room and all this bad stuff happens to him (bad description, I know).

**SPOILERS WARNING**
One part he somehow gets out of the hotel, and goes about his normal life. He writes a book about his experience in the room, and goes to the post office to send the written material in. Then all these people take hammers and destroy the inside of the post office, revealing the hotel room the main character was in before. Another part has his daughter (who's dead) in the room with him. After awhile, an alarm clock turns on, which turns his daughter (who he crying while hugging her) into dust. Now that's some evil stuff.
**SPOILERS END**

Heaven would also be different. You could do ANYTHING you want in heaven, even sin, without consequences.

As for the actual topic question, I would have to research more on the christian version of heaven and hell.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Double post

[edit on 16-7-2008 by flyindevil]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
There's no god. The whole concept of god doesn't even make sense.

A supreme being that you HAVE to worship in order for him/her to repent your sins and send you to heaven.

If he's the almighty then why do you have to show him respect?

He made you, so wouldn't he know that you are going to commit sins anyways?

It's as if he/she WANTS you to commit sins and get sent to hell.

Doesn't even make sense. A bunch of nonsense.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
yeah I've always wondered that. There's no sex in heaven. doesn't sound so great to me. and would you want some hot chick dressed in a nightgown and a halo or in some skimpy outfit strutting around. hell sounds like the better deal.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by EverythingYouDespise
It seems to me that, if you accept Christianity as truth, one would actually prefer "damnation" over joining God in Heaven. Before I go on, of course, I should point out that I don't buy into the whole idea of eternal physical torture at the hands of demons in a lake of fire. From what I can gather, that popular image of Hell is a fairly new concept cooked up by priests in order to scare us into following orders.

So what is Hell really like? Well, since there are so many differing ideas of what exactly Hell is, I'll use the definition provided by the Cathetism of the Catholic Church:

'We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves: "He who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him."610 Our Lord warns us that we shall be separated from him if we fail to meet the serious needs of the poor and the little ones who are his brethren.611 To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God's merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self- exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called "hell." '

Basically, the way that translates to me is that Hell = an eternity spent apart from God.

Now let us consider the path that leads to this supposedly miserable punishment, and the opposite path that leads to what is surely a truly wonderous reward.

To cut right to the point, let's just examine the cardinal sins. This gives us a general idea of what God considers bad behavior, deserving of his eternal scorn:

Lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy and pride.

Depending on one's interpretation, as many as all seven of those could much more easily be seen as virtues when you're trying to live an enjoyable life instead of following orders, and without the first - lust - the species would go extinct within a single generation! And when should it ever be considered wrong to be proud of oneself?

I'll tell you when. When you're a subject of the most vain entity in history. God wants nothing but blind obedience and praise from human beings. He does not appear to want us to be happy at all, and explicitly commands us not to seek knowledge or strive for success and wealth.

So why would you expect him to do a complete 180 once you're dead and in Heaven? If you've spent your entire life denying pleasures and slavishly adhering to a ridiculous doctrine, do you really think the reward will be a paradise?

I'd much prefer to spend eternity in Hell, where surely all Earthly passions and pursuits are held in the highest esteem - finally free from the reach of that great party-pooper in the sky. And, as an added bonus to being eternally separated from God, imagine the wonderful company of the other damned souls! Philosophers, pleasure-seekers, artists and the like, enjoying everlasting orgies, feasts and merryment. Heaven, meanwhile, would be full of slaves and prudes.

Your dealing with laws and languages of the past that were the beginning of the renewal to this world after much of it was devastated by the great war. The very end of the book. Unlawful and disobedient people of the past is where "God" had set the boundaries of peace and order. The middle east is very much a remnant of that past. The Syrian Peninsula is one of those boundaries. If you would like to live in a society that has distanced itself from the past it only leaves one choice but to remove that philosophy as a whole. The time of the King James Bible has past as well as the days of Catholic oppression. And those were the days of black and white television.

In any sense nowadays if your going to Hell then the philosophy of devastation to your life therefore applies. A state of ruin. And Heaven is the grandiose lifestyle that appeases the Church's convicting of those chosen to damnation. . . . of course there are those that have risen the ranks to the Angelic Order of Satan. For example Magog and the rest of the Bush Family, including the Clintons. They will raise their horns again. Their forces will join again and attack Heaven. Christ will rise. Jesus will commit suicide. Bread baskets will pass on to the next. Hands will shake the unfortunate few and thank God their not going to Hell . . . this time around.

Just don't stand too close to the fire and stay true to the word of the Lord.

\w/ UP THE HORNS!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by EverythingYouDespise
I'd much prefer to spend eternity in Hell, where surely all Earthly passions and pursuits are held in the highest esteem - finally free from the reach of that great party-pooper in the sky. And, as an added bonus to being eternally separated from God, imagine the wonderful company of the other damned souls! Philosophers, pleasure-seekers, artists and the like, enjoying everlasting orgies, feasts and merryment. Heaven, meanwhile, would be full of slaves and prudes.

Interesting... to quote a wise man named Billy Joel:

"They say there's a Heaven for those who will wait,
Some say it's better but I say it ain't,
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints,
The sinners are much more fun."

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I originally posted this as a tangent in the "Would you want to know when you will die?" thread:

If there is a being of infinite power and wisdom who creates imperfect, finite creatures and then punishes them for their weaknesses for eternity, I am not sure I'd rather spend forever with him in Heaven.

How can a finite transgression have an infinite punishment?

Blah, anyway I think the idea of Hell is a perverse notion that couldn't possibly be true in this universe. But yeah, if I'm wrong it would suck. But chances are I would end up there even if I tried to avoid it.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
well im just going to say this no human could live without have one of these attributes
could it just mean that rules are meant to be broken i mean cmon if we all went by Lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy and pride.
not many of us would be in heaven would we so my guess is god just,s makes a blind eye its just that most humans dont obey the Lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy and pride. thing and those many of us would not go to hell would they ?
i bet god is very very sad to see human lives goto such a horrible place

link   
well im just going to say this no human could live without have one of these attributes
could it just mean that rules are meant to be broken i mean cmon if we all went by Lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy and pride.
not many of us would be in heaven would we so my guess is god just,s makes a blind eye its just that most humans dont obey the Lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy and pride. thing and those many of us would not go to hell would they ?

link   

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
o fudge sorry about that i posted 3 times

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheHypnoToad

Interesting... to quote a wise man named Billy Joel:

"They say there's a Heaven for those who will wait,
Some say it's better but I say it ain't,
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints,
The sinners are much more fun."

Tremendous! I'll take your Billy Joel and raise you the Vandals:

"I don't wanna go to heaven
It's filled with pricks like you,
I won't go inside the gates just leave me in the waiting room,
I'm sure that God hates you he thinks that you're an obsessed fan,
See how you are?
I'll never trust a happy man"

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
What if your life already feels like nothing but suffering?

Hell is just more misery.

Heaven will always have that aftertaste of suffering you went through.

What's the point?

I just want everything to end.

Me, you, the world, the universe, everything, and all this pointless questioning.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Can any one tell me why the bible says God is love then he wipes out hole cities? If God is love then why would he make us live in a world full of evil where our hearts get hardened.If you was God wouldn't you make a world for the ones you love with all nice looking people,how do you justify really ugly people thats not fair.There is so much in this world that sucks if you don't have money so why do we have it?Why would you let baby's die and why would you let some be born sick?Why is there right out lies in the bible like Adam and Eve was the first people on earth so who did there kids marry if it was each other didn't the all knowing God know incest would cause birth defects?With all this said I think God is an all loving God no killing or any of that,I hope.I think because the bible was written by man its got some lies put there by man and some missinterpretations.Last but not least what do you do with your kids when they do some thing bad you tell them not to do it again and if your a good parent you tell them why its bad to do what they did you don't torcher them for all of eternity.I love you all!..... well maybe not all?lol

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join