It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush claims executive privilege on CIA leak (Valerie Plame case)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Bush claims executive privilege on CIA leak

www.msnbc.msn.com

President Bush has asserted executive privilege to protect information that a House panel has subpoenaed on the leak of CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity, the White House said Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Bush claims executive privilege on CIA leak
What Valerie Plame Really Did at the CIA
Valerie Plame Wilson: No Ordinary Spy
Valerie Plame, the Spy Who Got Shoved Out Into the Cold

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Federal Judge Ruling: George W. Bush is a Felon
The Motivation For Blocking Investigations Into Bush Lawbreaking
Rove Outed CIA Agent Valerie Plame???
Rove refuses subpoena, leaves country

[edit on 7/16/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Ah, another executive privilege claimed by Bush. What number is this now, 100? 200?

Face the facts, my friend, you're part of the cabal occupying Washington. Just give it up already.

"This unfounded assertion of executive privilege does not protect a principle; it protects a person," Waxman said. "If the vice president did nothing wrong, what is there to hide?"

Obviously Cheney is terrified of testifying under oath. His buddy Rove already left the country due to this case. Will Cheney follow suit? He could just move to the new Halliburton headquarters in Dubai where he'd find safe haven with his oil buddies.

The assertion of the privilege is not about hiding anything but rather protecting the separation of powers as well as the integrity of future Justice Department investigations of the White House, Mukasey wrote to Bush in a letter dated Tuesday. Several of the subpoenaed reports, he wrote, summarize conversations between Bush and advisers — are direct presidential communications protected by the privilege.

Here's the truth. Bush would have to be called in to testify if Cheney does, and we all know how well he does telling the truth. There's no way these criminals are getting away with their crimes.

The American people will not let them.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I've been thinking about this statement by Mukasey:

"I am greatly concerned about the chilling effect that compliance with the committee's subpoena would have on future White House deliberations and White House cooperation with future Justice Department investigations," Mukasey wrote to Bush. "I believe it is legally permissible for you to assert executive privilege with respect to the subpoenaed documents, and I respectfully request that you do so."

The idea that cooperating with Congress would create a 'chilling effect' on White House cooperation with future Justice Department investigations makes no sense, in any way, other than that those investigated might have to think harder to make sure lies told then/now don't conflict. Usually the AG hides obvious statements like that more subtly; what else could he be referring to here?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Every day more and more stories are coming out like this and it points to more and more evidence that this administration is hiding something.

This is all good news because evidence all points to them being guilty. Keep these stories coming because eventually they will have to pay.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
In case you have no idea, the President of the USA can not leak information. See, he can unclassify anything he wants. So there is no way for Bush to have leaked Plames' name. Besides the fact entire conspiracy aginst Bush by Valeries schmuck of a husband reeks of anti-American interests.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I had no idea gatordone, thank you for enlightening me. This doesn't have much to do with Bush actually. He may have had no knowledge of this particular case, but how many other times has he been involved?

Cheney is the one who leaked Valerie Plame's name, in case you hadn't noticed. His buddy Rove already fled the country to escape indictment.

Besides the fact entire conspiracy aginst Bush by Valeries schmuck of a husband reeks of anti-American interests.

Right. And who was the American spy again? I forgot. By the way, how is this anti-american?

Hold the phone, if Plame was spying FOR the United States, wouldn't that make Cheney anti-american for exposing her?

Take off the patriotism glasses and see what is happening right in front of your eyes please.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gatordone
In case you have no idea, the President of the USA can not leak information. See, he can unclassify anything he wants. So there is no way for Bush to have leaked Plames' name. Besides the fact entire conspiracy aginst Bush by Valeries schmuck of a husband reeks of anti-American interests.

You're right the President can unclassify any information he wants....but there is a process involved, ie..paper work, documents to be signed, etc. Him publically saying something that was once classified, does not instantly make it unclassified. That is not how the process works. If that were the case, anyone in his admin could leak classified info and bush could just say, "oh, yeah, i told Cheney last week that that info wasnt classified anymore" Unclassifiying information has to be documented.

Not too mention as biggie smalls pointed out, the plame leak has to do with Cheney.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gatordone
Besides the fact entire conspiracy aginst Bush by Valeries schmuck of a husband reeks of anti-American interests.

What are you talking about? How is outing an active US spy a positive thing? You do realize she's on 'our team', not one of the 'bad guys' so to speak.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by La Vita Pacifica

Wow you ressurected a thread that has been dead for over a year to argue with a member who hasn't posted in a year?

Hope you don't expect him/her to answer you.

top topics

join