It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good News For Conservatives?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
CBS news has an article up today that highlights the increasing prevalence of Mitt Romney as a potential VP for McCain.

VP Romney?

Considering Romney was my pick for President during the primaries, having him on the ticket would make me feel a little better about voting for McCain.

I believe him to be a strong Conservative who isn't afraid to stand up to the Dem's (instead of "reaching" to them). His strong fiscal experience is also a big plus.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Its looking increasingly likely that it will indeed be Romney.

While I think that from an overall standpoint, Romney would be a very, very good choice, I personally am not a big fan. That said, I agree with you, it would be nothing but a positive for McCain's campaign. Romney was a favorite among economic conservatives in the Republican party and, of course, he adds credibility to the McCain campaign which has had struggled to find its bearings on the overall issue of the economy. Not only that, but most polling I've seen also indicates that it strengthens McCain significantly in the Upper Midwest (Michigan, in particular), which is where I believe this campaign will ultimately be fought.

Finally, as you say, Romney quite clearly proved that he's more than willing to go on the attack in the primaries. Given that the VP choice is often used as an 'attack dog', its a perfect fit.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
My original pick was Thompson. Mitt was my second choice so I would feel better knowing a more conservative VP than McCain is there to take over. I think we're screwed no matter what but I feel somewhat better.

Zindo

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I think you would have to be insane to vote for a Republican even if they had God himself as a VP. Look what they have done to this country in the time they held the majority in all three branches of Government. The destruction of individual rights and the US Constitution, the enrichment of their corporate cronies at the cost of the American economy and the lives of American soldiers. Oh yeah, I really want more of that no matter the VP is.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Maybe you are confused.

The economy and country was running fine until two years ago when the Dem's took over. That's when gas started skyrocketing and things started "turning sour."

It's easier to blame it on Bush though isn't it?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I find that very amusing. I think you need to check your facts, you also missed a few others things I mentioned as well.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

this does make me feel alittle better about McCain. although romney wasent my first pick either he was higher on the list than mccain...

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Romney was very high on my list for President. He has business acumen, government service experience, and management experience. He is very intelligent and is a conservative.

The only negative is the reported lack of chemistry between Romney and McCain. But you don't have to love a person to work with him.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
I find that very amusing. I think you need to check your facts, you also missed a few others things I mentioned as well.

I find that very amusing as well.

Perhaps you need to present some facts to show us exactly what the Republicans "did to this country."

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

you do realize that the democrats are in charge in congress and this country started takeing its down turn around the same time they came into power?

no of course not. you are one of the people that believe one preson can single handedly take apart a whole nation.
narrow minded indeed..

the funniest thing i have seen is the demcrats causeing high gas problems and somehow getting the public to believe the republicans were to blame.
i was never fooled though. but i bet they got you pretty good...

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

I wasn't aware that the judicial branch, ie SCOTUS, was elected?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Maybe you are confused.

The economy and country was running fine until two years ago when the Dem's took over. That's when gas started skyrocketing and things started "turning sour."

The economy is tanking for reasons that have nothing to do with Congress or the Democrats. Three things are happening simultaneously: The bottom has fallen out of the subprime market, the price of oil is going up and the dollar is being devalued. The devaluation of the dollar has much to do with the enormous debt the U.S. owes because of Iraq, and yeah, you can blame Bush and the Republicans for that. The price of oil is going up because of the increased worldwide demand for it. The bottom falling out of the subprime market was a disaster waiting to happen.

The next president, whichever party he belongs to, will be blamed for the state of the economy. That is not reasonable, but politics in this country are seldom reasonable.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I don't know who McCain will pick, but whenever you see him on the news, Lieberman is always by his side. I know they're friends, but what's up with that?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I also voted for Mitt in the primary. He would be a good choice for Vice-president, in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by damwel

I wasn't aware that the judicial branch, ie SCOTUS, was elected?

That and the Democrats control both houses of Congress. They took control in 2006 and gas has gone through the roof since.

Romney would be a great choice! Just get through the 4 years of McCain, then we could have 8 years of Romney!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

That and the Democrats control both houses of Congress. They took control in 2006 and gas has gone through the roof since.

Romney would be a great choice! Just get through the 4 years of McCain, then we could have 8 years of Romney!

The 110th Congress convenes in Washington on Jan. 4, 2007. Democrats formally took control of both the House and Senate for the first time in a dozen years. They will be led by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Nev.) and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.).

Actually - it was 2007

2 short months after they took over, gas prices were $3.20 ] Source

that being said

i believe the democrats should be doing more about actual problems (liek gas prices) than investigating MLB steroid usage (give me a *snip*ing break!!!!!)

BUT!!!

To blame it on the Democrats is to deny Bush his fair share of the blame.

George Bush took office in 2000, and since 2001, gas prices have gone up 240%

Congress has had a year and 1/2 and gotten nothing done, i agree

but George W. Bush has had 7 years and done less.

[edit on 7/16/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
i believe the democrats should be investing more time than investigating MLB steroid usage (give me a *snip*ing break!!!!!)

I can't believe you would suggest something so ridiculous.

Everybody knows that Congress should be investigating how the New England Patriots broke NFL rules by video taping opposing team's defensive hand signals.

I realized reading this thread that both sides are equally inept, selfish, deceitful, and generally full of #*$T. Bush has a 29% approval rating and Congress a 19% approval rating, yet we keep putting them back in office!

As for Romney, I think he should volunteer to be VP for BOTH candidates. He's smart, experienced, and one of the few running for office that actually was incredibly successful in the real world.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

Whatever his motivations may be, Lieberman is, officially, a senior member of McCain's campaign team.

I would not, however, expect him to be McCain's VP nominee. He has little in common with conservatives from an ideological standpoint and as such would further alienate them. That said, for my part, even though I agree with Lieberman on very few matters of ideology, I respect him as a (mostly) intellectually honest politician and would strongly consider voting for him even as a presidential candidate against many of the contenders we've had recently from both sides of the isle.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I personally have issues with Gov. Mitt because of his disparaging remarks about Southern historical icons, but what could I expect from an uninformed northerner. That being said, if McCain has any sense he'll choose this fire breather as a VP. Mitt has balls and experience, as well as being an economic powerhouse. My only fear is that the narrow minded thumpers I live amongst will elect a radical black nationalist muslim because there is a Mormon on the Republicant ticket. But then again...it is the South.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join