It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best ship out there

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I am sick of seeing the wing wipers get all the topics here about who has the best pilots/planes. As far as I am concerned they are nothing better than expensive targets.

I want to know what you think is the best ship out there. Be prepared to back it up with some facts, I am interested in why you picked the one you did.

To start it off with I will say that the best ship out there is the US's Arleigh Burke class Guided Missile Destroyers (DDG's). You can read about them here:

www.chinfo.navy.mil...

I think that they are the most versatile, well armed, and high tech ships out there. Plus they look good and are a blast to drive at 30+ knots.

What about everyone else?

[Edited on 10/3/04 by COOL HAND]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Me personally...

I think the best "boat" we have in the Navy is that Mark IV the SEALs use. That thing has an F-18 Hornet engine in the back, and can move so fast that it rarely touches the water, it just skips like a rock. Those things rock. I rode on one when I was going through SEAL training, and boy I'll tell you what! I threw up by the time we were done!

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
United Stated Sea Shadow is one of the coolest.

The Swedish Navy's Visby corvette (below) is designed to be virtually invisible in pursuit of hostile submarines and underwater mines.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The best ship out there.. thats your opinion can post a gun saying its the best in the world but thats just my opinion. Other memmbers will not always agree with you due to it being your own opinion like me i think that ships ok but not the best ship out so far.

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by ShadowMan]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I loved serving onboard the USS Midway (CV-41). When I was in my military school, we were given the choice of ships we wanted to serve on... for me, it came down to the Independance, the Lincoln, and the Midway.

I chose the Midway for many reasons. The Indy, at the time, was still in California, the Lincoln was in Seattle, and the Midway in Japan. I wanted to see the world, to travel, so Japan appealed to me, but, then again, it was THE Midway!

Just the history of the ship alone! A battleship converted into carrier duty... our berthing (sleeping) area was just inside the skin... you could see the "blisters" designed so that, in case of torpedo attack, it would explode in a mushroom shape, versus a straight on.

I mean, wow... this ship, although it didn't serve in, was part of World War 2. This ship has seen and participated in, alot.

Even when it came time for us to decommission her, the Midway was still there, along side the newer and larger carriers, giving it her all. I know she was decommissioned before, but she always came back... but this last time (1991-1992), with the emergance of the super-carriers...

I had been reassigned, but even to this day, if I could do it all over again... I'd go back to the Midway.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Other memmbers will not always agree with you due to it being your own opinion like me i think that ships ok but not the best ship out so far.

Okay, then what is your favorite type of ship?

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowMan
The best ship out there.. thats your opinion can post a gun saying its the best in the world but thats just my opinion. Other memmbers will not always agree with you due to it being your own opinion like me i think that ships ok but not the best ship out so far.
[Edited on 10-3-2004 by ShadowMan]

Well, everything is subjective. We don�t need to agree on the superiority of one ship. The fun in learning is to hear many different opinions and ideas then formulate your own thoughts. That why I�m a member of ATS.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
That there are better ships out there; better looking, better abilities, better whatever...

Take, for example, the USS Observation Island. Now that was a cool ship, with all its intelligence gathering capabilities... only saw it once, though. It was getting ready for another mission.

And yes, the Sea Shadow is a radical and original design.

But when you ask for the best, or the favorite, you'll get alot of responses in that manner. Sometimes, like me, you'll probably get more personal of an opinion than one based on anything 'solid'.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
I am sick of seeing the wing wipers get all the topics here about who has the best pilots/planes. As far as I am concerned they are nothing better than expensive targets.

[Edited on 10/3/04 by COOL HAND]

Cool Hand,

They're not just expensive targets. If they were there would be no aircraft left. Our aircraft have done many great things for our country. I can name a couple of them. SR-71. F-14 Tomcat. F-117 Nighthawk. My point is ships are expensive targets too. What? You think the enemy is only going to shoot at planes and not at ships? I'm not saying ships don't serve a purpose. They do as well.

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by mrmulder]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hmm well to answer your question my favorite ship would be the USS Ranger CV-61 its not the best but its ok

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The USS Ronald Reagan :

The carrier is 1,092 feet long, has a waterline beam of 134 feet, displaces approximately 95,000 tons of water when afloat, and has a 4�-acre flight deck. This floating airfield will carry more than 80 aircraft and can cruise at speeds in excess of 30 knots. The ship's nuclear reactors are capable of more than 20 years of continuous service without refueling.

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
in my own opinion- the ARSENAL.
hehe, that thing from 500 feet off a shore, can send a berage of missils.

KILLS EVERYTHING!

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Cool Hand,

They're not just expensive targets. If they were there would be no aircraft left. Our aircraft have done many great things for our country. I can name a couple of them. SR-71. F-14 Tomcat. F-117 Nighthawk. My point is ships are expensive targets too. What? You think the enemy is only going to shoot at planes and not at ships? I'm not saying ships don't serve a purpose. They do as well.

I do not deny that aircraft have done a lot of great things (and are fun to fly in). But in my experience they are nothing more than targets.

You are right about the enemy, they will shoot at both. But, what if they can't see the ship? If you have a smart ship driver with the right conditions you would be surprised at how well you can hide the ship and creep up on your target.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I like amphibious assault ships, myself. I bet they are larger than some other nations' carriers.

Down the road, I am guessing we'll see some JSF's on them, instead of AV-8s. They may be able to replace carriers in some situations. This on top of helicopterss, and a bunch of marines, w/ landing vehicles, etc One inclusive war machine. So, one large ship, carrying a boat load of force, pun intended. What a ship!

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Gotta say the Seawolf class subs, no surface ship is safe from sinking with one of these on the prowl. Super quiet with the best suite of sensors man can design.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
United Stated Sea Shadow is one of the coolest.

The Swedish Navy's Visby corvette (below) is designed to be virtually invisible in pursuit of hostile submarines and underwater mines.

I like the Sea Shadow too. I remember seeing something like that in one of the James Bond movies with Peirce Brosnan. Am I correct?

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder
I remember seeing something like that in one of the James Bond movies with Peirce Brosnan. Am I correct?

Yes, check out this web site.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Here's another one from 'Tommorow Never Dies', not the same one but again very similar, this one is not a prototype though, one of many in current use...

There's also a cool looking concept tri-hull stealth Aircraft Carrier I saw from a UK Military Tech sales/exhibition back in 1995. No picture I can find on the web of it though... but it did look damn cool...

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by McPhearsom]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
i think the type 23 frigates i mean those guys i dont know how like (there sure as hell not stealthy ) but they can break into carrier groups and take out the carrier and leave unchallanged weird no?

new topics

top topics

join