It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey buddy, can you spare a movie ticket? (Denver hides homeless for DNC convention)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Hey buddy, can you spare a movie ticket? (Denver hides homeless for DNC convention)

www.rockymountainnews.com

Hundreds of Denver's homeless could be cooling their heels in a movie theater or museum while the Democratic National Convention is in town next month.

The Colorado Coalition for the Homeless plans to get 500 movie tickets as well as passes to the Denver Zoo, Denver Museum of Nature and Science and other cultural facilities for the people it helps
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Many day shelters will have expanded hours during the convention, and big screen TVs are being donated to some shelters so patrons can watch convention goings-on without being caught up in the mayhem.

Two interesting thoughts on this article.

1. I don't disagree with a city trying to look it's best during a nationally covered mega event like this. However I do find it insulting that the supposedly homeless advocacy group is trying to sell people on the idea that this is being done with the homeless' best interests in mind. That's grade 'A' unadulterated spin doctoring and I'd love to know how much money changed hands between the city, federal government, and these advocacy groups to get them into step with each other and all following the official line of "We're doing this purely to protect our homeless people."

2. That off hand comment about the Secret Service playing a major role in "controlling everything" rather than the supposedly sovereign city or state government sent a chill up my spine. It's almost like they totally expect this to become pandemonium and are doing everything they can to prepare the city for not preventing it, but combatting it after it occurs.

Glad I'm not in Denver, that's for sure.

www.rockymountainnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Well it is much better than having the police crack down on loitering and vagrancy and all that. Movie tickets and museum passes will keep them entertained in a positive way for a few days.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Maybe the DNC should help find them jobs and places to live instead of sweeping them under the rug for a few days. Hmm?

I though the Democrats were all about social programs and distribution of wealth? Maybe they should distribute some of their own wealth and really help these people out.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It's pretty friggn typical. Just sweep it under the rug and waaalllaaah! It doesn't exist.

If you honestly believe that the Dems are about change and helping the poor....WAKE UP!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I wonder if it's really true that the economy has made many people homeless? I mean, aside from those drunks who CHOOSE to be homeless, begging for change for beer.

You know, it would be disturbing as hell to see families with their children and dog sitting there with nothing to eat and no home.

I dunno, I agree, the Democrats.. Don't they usually love to throw social services at everyone?

top topics

join