It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S&M Barbie lashed by public

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
The outfit may not look too bad in the photo, but I'm sure the jacket comes off and she's wearing a strapless bustier underneath. Couple that with the fishnet stockings and highcut bottoms, and it is totally inappropriate for children.

Most of us here are grownups, and I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind their wives coming out of the bedroom closet in that get up once in a while, as long as she didn't try to tie them up or whip them, but this is different.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Icarus Rising]

and a bunch of barbies in slutty bikinis are better? cause they've been sellin those since almost day one and i don't see any complaints about that. and as the previous poster mentioned it's clearly labeled for adult collectors, not children...so really the whole point is moot dont you think?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
In all honestly, The Bikini Issue is a pretty good one, but you see women wearing them everywhere in certain cities, But do you see Street Walker barbie all the time?

Guess it depends where you live too. Then even Brats come into mimicing Reality. lol Sad..... I bow my head in the death or Morality.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I gotta go with Merigold here. For one thing, this is NOT S&M Barbie. No whips, no chains, no paddles or handcuffs. This is some kind of Biker Chick Barbie. Leather is not inherently sexual. She's clearly based on that character someone posted. And her "features" have always been exaggerated. Over the years she's had revealing clothes. This is not any different.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

She actually reminds me a little bit of Cindy McCain, don't ask me why.

I will ask you why you felt that was even necessary to post? So, I gather then that you would also have no problem with a "Barbie" doll of Obama's wife made to look a bit like her Angela Davis look on the New Yorker magazine cover?

Deny hypocrisy.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Realistically how much has this character changed since her debut?

Look at the first time she was on the cover of a comic book.

And that was in 1947. True it's a bit more conservative of course, but how much difference is there really?

The image below is the official DC Comics Black Canary collectible figurine:

Is that very different from this Barbie? Not really...

To me personally... As people mentioned above I believe that Barbie isn't exactly the best role model type toy for parents to buy their kids anyways. But I think that decision should be made by parents, not advocacy groups.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

“People buy them for their KIDS?”

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
If this Barbie was given to a little girl, does anyone seriously think she would make a connection with S&M? Even today, I don't think many children would have heard of that concept.

I'm not sure that this doll is aimed at them anyway, it will probably sell more to adult collectors. Plus, it's not actually being marketed as S&M Barbie.

Very small girls would probably prefer a Barbie princess in a pretty dress. I can't see a black leather jacket and fishnets being very appealing to them.

But if a child did ask for it, bear in mind 'all things are pure in the minds of the pure'. There's something unsavoury about the fuss being made about this.

Can I guess it's more disturbing to men than to women? Women understand how little girls see dolls - changing their clothes is innocent fun, whether or not they are wearing a bustier.

Edit:
While I was writing this other people have stated that it is actually aimed at adult collectors - as I was guessing.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by berenike]

[edit on 16-7-2008 by berenike]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Why? I have a sneaking suspicion that Cindy McCain may be a dominatrix, that's why. She seems kind of reptilian to me, too. She may not be, but that is my impression, just the same. Not a judgment, just an interpretation of an observation. I told you not to ask me why. Michelle Obama doesn't come across to me as someone who fancies a machine gun, but who knows?

This whole article was really tongue in cheek for me anyway. I do think the doll is inappropriate for kids. I think Barbie dolls in general give little girls the wrong impression about what being a woman is all about. The media in general does. Society relies on mothers to balance out the input. From some of the responses to this thread, we may be in trouble on that front, too. Any decent dads out there? Now, don't go all Fem-Nazi on me, ok? I'm just kidding around. I know I will be called to account for every word.

The attacks from you Christian bashers (you know who you are) are really uncalled for, as well. I forgive you though, just like Christ asked His Father to forgive His tormenters and executioners, because you know not what you do. Maybe you'll figure it out eventually, and then there's a chance you will be sorry. In the meantime, maybe you can forgive me for my crass attempts at humor. Either way, may God bless and keep you all.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with this either - and I'm the mother of two girls and the grandmother of one.

Its like dress-up.

And also why shouldn't All be represented? Why not a doll for Goth - Biker's - Rocker's?

If the Christian's don't like it - - they can go buy American Girl and look like Laura Bush. EWWWWW!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
We don't all have to be cookie-cutter look-alikes, of course. A quick look at the world around us today should be all it takes to convince us of the need to live by a minimum standard of decency and morality.

It isn't the clothes or the doll per se, either. It is the behaviors associated with the clothes and the dolls that become part of a child's world view and expectations that are of concern. There is nothing wrong with Goth, Bikers, or leather. There is something wrong with glorifying and perpetuating some of the mythos of the behaviors attached to them. What ever happened to good, clean fun?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It isn't the clothes or the doll per se, either. It is the behaviors associated with the clothes and the dolls that become part of a child's world view and expectations that are of concern. There is nothing wrong with Goth, Bikers, or leather. There is something wrong with glorifying and perpetuating some of the mythos of the behaviors attached to them. What ever happened to good, clean fun?

I'd suggest that an example of good, clean fun is a little girl playing with a much-loved doll, however the doll was dressed.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by berenike
I'd suggest that an example of good, clean fun is a little girl playing with a much-loved doll, however the doll was dressed.

I was a little girl once - back in the 50s - when Barbie first came out. I tossed my baby dolls.

Face it - Barbie was and still is about the Clothes. I saved my allowance to buy my own sewing machine at age 12. I started by making Barbie clothes. Not the easiest thing in the world.

I did not want little girl clothes for my Barbie - - I wanted "Hollywood" clothes. I wanted Glamor Barbie. I would have died and gone to Heaven for this one.

Did it make me perverse? Did it make me a Biker? Did I delve into S&M? (like a child knows what S&M is).

NO! I'm perfectly "normal". Barbie is a fantasy - - and so is the way she dresses.

Edited to correct quotes

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Annee]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Seems that you made a healthy adjustment to society and didn't engage in the behaviors I was referring to. I'm glad that for you it was about the clothes. How many little girls do you think are sewing their own Barbie clothes these days?

Like I said, a line has to be drawn between the look and the behavior often associated with it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not into stereotypes. I believe in individuality. I get feelings from people, mostly from listening to what they say and looking them in the eyes. I wish you and your family the best. Children are a gift to be cherished.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Haha S&M my foot, obviously some people have had absolutly no exposure to anything other than the missionary possition. Sad boring depressing lives they must lead.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
If you think S&M and B&D are fun and exciting, that's up to you. My life is far from sad and boring, and I haven't had sex in over six years. Not that I wouldn't enjoy some intimacy with a woman, it just isn't about sex itself for me anymore. I've been through a divorce and am raising my son right now. Circumstances prevent me from pursuing a relationship. When the time is right, God willing, I will meet the right woman and remarry.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Seems that you made a healthy adjustment to society and didn't engage in the behaviors I was referring to. I'm glad that for you it was about the clothes. How many little girls do you think are sewing their own Barbie clothes these days?

Well yes - it was in the 50s.

But adults need to keep their fears to themselves. Kids do not know what S&M is. All kids see is a Barbie dressed in a cool outfit.

Reminds me of the Purple Tele-Tubby.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   

If you think S&M and B&D are fun and exciting, that's up to you. My life is far from sad and boring, and I haven't had sex in over six years. Not that I wouldn't enjoy some intimacy with a woman, it just isn't about sex itself for me anymore. I've been through a divorce and am raising my son right now. Circumstances prevent me from pursuing a relationship. When the time is right, God willing, I will meet the right woman and remarry.

Been there done that. Except I was raising two girls.

Have now been married over 18 years to second husband. When the time is right - it will just happen.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I thought I'd heard of everything, but what's B&D? I tried to google it, but no luck. Seems I'm not the only one in the dark.

Hate to think I've been missing out on something exciting.

If 'S&M Barbie' sells well perhaps they could produce B&D Barbie next. Or is that just distasteful?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
B&D and S&M pretty much go hand in glove. The "S", sadist, generally practices B&D of some form or another on the "M", masochist. Bondage and Degradation. I guess they get a kick out of it somehow. S&M is the package, and B&D is the contents.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

The attacks from you Christian bashers (you know who you are) are really uncalled for, as well.

Morons will be bashed when they act like morons. Wether they are religious or not is really irrelevant. If you don't want christians to be bashed, you shouldn't expose them when they act like morons.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join