It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The universe is out to get me!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
It's just one thing after another all of a sudden. On top of a bunch of family issues I had to deal with over the weekend, my brakes go out on me this past sunday. I get the car home using the e-brake, and crawl under the car to see what's up. It looks like there's just a leak in the line and I ran out of brake fluid. I refill the fluid, figuring that I can just keep it topped off until payday when I can afford to get it fixed. Then I get to watch as it all drains out in a matter of moments. It's a bigger leak than I thought and it's not something I can fix on my own. Great. So mondayI take the day off of work and I get it towed to the garage, figuring that it's just going to be a patch job and shouldn't cost too much, and I guess I'll have to put off getting those new tires until next paycheck. Turns out it's even worse than I thought. The whole brake system has blown out and I need to replace the whole damn thing, so into my savings I go and pull out all the money I have, and then I still need to borrow some to cover the cost. So I'm tapped out, and it's almost 2 weeks until next payday, but I've got gas in the car and a new brake system. I can make it until next payday. I'll just have to pack a lunch and bring my own coffee in the mornings. No problem. So here we are on wednesday morning, and I'm on my way to work. I get within sight of work and I blow a tire. I have no spare, as the spare I had turned out to be bad, and I have no money left to get a new tire because all that I had went to get a new brake system, and I've already borrowed all that I could get to cover the rest of the cost of brakes. So now I'm screwed, I have no way to get back and forth to work, I have no vehicle in case of an emergency. What am I supposed to do if something happens to my daughter or wife? I'm depressed and angry at the same time. I feel like a failure and I don't know what to do. I'm angry at the garage for not having a cheap and easy solution, I'm angry at myself for not having the money to fix the tire, I'm angry at the universe for inflicting all of this on me in the space of a few days, and I'm depressed as all get out because there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. I would scream, but I don't think that'd help much. Besides, it doesn't tend to come across real well in type.

Well, that's about all I needed to say right now. I'll probably be back to grumble more about it throughout the day. :bnghd:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
First up,and I know that it may sound a little patronising,and unhelful to your situation. But it's ment from the heart.

Getting all bent out of shape and angry will not help you think things through clearly. If your brain is mad,then your thoughts and actions will be mad too.

Sorry to hear that you've been getting done up the wrongun by old mother nature,but she's a kinky old beast at times,and gets off on your pain. Don't give in,just think,every action has an opposite. So all this misery and anger,will soon be replaced by laughter and joy.

Like i said,I know this post doesn't help,cos it didn't come attached with travellers cheques

Chin up though,things can only get better!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Thanks. Strangely, it does make me feel a little better, even if it doesn't help fix the problem. I'm trying to think positive and look on the bright side. Sometimes it helps just to know that I was heard.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
that's what we're here for

it's true though,no matter what life throws at you,keep smiling. Cos a frown won't help you either way.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
When stuff like that happens, you can only do so much. It's not your fault, but there may be a good reason it's all happening, whether it's apparent at first or not.

Stop worrying and just think. How can you make the best out of the situation? I know, easier said than done. We invest a lot of emotions in this experience, but an experience is all it is. Remembering that fact helps me get through it all.

Btw, I find creativity and humor to be the best medicine for when I'm down and out and the walls keep closing in. After all, what else can ya do?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Kruel

I wish I knew what the good reason was. I'm trying to look for the good here and keep a sense of humor about it, but I'm avoiding going down the "It could be worse..." road. That's just tempting fate. It's probably what got me here in the first place. I think I said something to that effect when the brakes went. I wonder, if I start saying "It could be better..." would it get better, or would I just start sounding like a total pessimist?

[edit on 7/16/2008 by PsychoHazard]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
MR. MURPHY who has his own set of laws, follows me around constantly.
So I keep this in mind..

WHEN THINGS GO WRONG

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit-
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a fellow turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out.
Don't give up though the pace seems slow -
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man;
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup;
And he learned too late when the night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out -
The silver tint in the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It might be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

Unknown

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I like that. I think I'm going to have to get a printout of that poem to hang over my desk. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Hi PsychoHazard. I'm sorry that you are having such a tough time right now. I'm not sure if I believe in all that "things happen for a reason" thing. I've always believed that when stuff like this is thrown in our laps that we use these things to make us stronger and build upon our character. It's what we do with it. I don't spend too much time reflecting on why things happen, just what I'm going to do with it, how I'm going to handle it, and how does this make me a better, stronger person.

YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE! You have a wonderful family and you are doing all that you can to protect and care for them. I'm quite sure that they adore you. When crappy things happen let it teach you as a family how to hang in there and work through it together.

Don't be afraid to ask for help from others. When someone says to me..."let me know what I can do to help"....well, I take that to heart and I ask. Our area was hit hard by the midwest floods this past June, people want to help, sometimes they just don't know how.

Hang in there Psycho.

Rush

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The crisis has been averted. Sometimes help comes from the least likely places. Thank you all for your kind words!

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I am so glad to hear that things are looking up Psycho.

Rush

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Well I think that Meatloaf's lyrics here are appropreate...

I want my money back
I want my money back
Its all or nothing

And nothings all I ever get
Every time I turn it on
I burn it up and burn it out

Its always something
Theres always something going wrong
Thats the only guarantee
Thats what this is all about

Its a never ending attack
Everythings a lie, and thats a fact
Life is a lemon and I want my money back!

And all the morons
And all the stooges with their coins
Theyre the ones who make the rules
Its not a game - its just a rout

Theres desperation
Theres desperation in the air
It leaves a stain on all your clothes
And no detergant gets it out

And were always slipping through the the cracks
Then the movies over - fade to black

I want my money back
I want my money back

What about love?
Its defective!
Its always breaking in half

What about sex? !
Its defective!
Its never built to really last

What about your family?
Its defective!
All the batteries are shot

What about your friends?
Theyre defective!
All the parts are out of stock

What about hope?
Its defective!
Its corroded and decayed

What about faith?
Its defective!
Its tattered and its frayed

What about your gods?
Theyre defective!
They forgot the warranty

What about your town?
Its defective!
Its a dead end street to me

What about your school?
Its defective!
Its a pack of useless lies

What about your work?
Its defective!
Its a crock and then you die

What about your childhood?
Its defective!
Its dead and buried in the past

What about your future?
Its defective!
And you can shove it up your ass!!

I want my money back
I want my money back

Its all or nothing
And nothings all I ever get
Every time I turn it on
I burn it up and burn it out

Its a never ending attack
Everythings a lie, and thats a fact

And were always slipping through the the cracks
Then the movies over-fade to black

new topics

top topics

join