It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if everything we know is a lie?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
What if it's possible that everything, and I mean everything that we know is a lie? Now think about this for a second.

Everything we know has been acquired through 3 major sources (possibly 4).

1. Educational Institutes
2. Life Experiences
3. Media

It is possible that the "government" intentionally "created" history as we know it, in order to steer us clear of the truth? Everything we know about history, the solar system, you name it; could possibly have been somehow "modified" to suit the mission of the government.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I think thats a lie

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
A wise man once said...

"In order to achieve knowledge, you must first learn that everything is a lie".

As someone else would say, and I quote him with the highest respect...

Deep.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
History is written by the victors. Every country puts their own spin on the information that is taught in educational institutions.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The world around you is not a lie, it has physical qualities that exist even when your eyes are closed.

Close your eyes and listen and feel around your area, let your mind build a picture of what the senses (other then sight) are taking in. What your mind "sees" is the real, reality.

Knowledge is never complete, thus you may never have complete knowledge. You may know facts but never complete knowledge.

Therefore all of History is only a small sampling of the truth as it has been retold.

Personal experience is not even complete knowledge. For the same experience may turn out different next time. ie Parachute jumping, you may jump a hundred times and everything is predicatable but on the 101 the chute fails to open. You therefore can only achieve a sampling of knowledge or a fact (you jumped 100 times and landed fine) but since you do not have complete knowledge you did not know that on the 101st that the chute would not open.

This is the life paradox about the world around you. Knowledge that you have only pertains to the here and now and not to the future.

All things may not be as you precieved or as you have knowledge of in the "past".

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Sounds like you are talking about the Matrix. Isn't that the question Morpheus asks Neo when they first met? Anyway, it is a very interesting question. If it is true, is ignorance bliss?

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Blah... too many people watching the Matrix far too often. Yes, history is written by the victor, so there are aspects of history many of us will never be able to learn. However, the sheer effort involved in maintaining even a small lie (surely you've done it) is significant over time. Imagine the effort involved in maintaining gigantic global lies. Nah. Find the small lies first... the big stuff will sort itself out.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Dude, youve seen the Matrix a little too often havent you???

CATFISH

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Find the small lies first... the big stuff will sort itself out.

"Don't sweat the the small stuff... EVERYTHING is small stuff".

Do I watch the Matrix too much? Maybe... but my first quote is pretty much a Gnostic belief.

Gnostics believe that the world is a farce, created by our own minds. Only through study, and gaining knowledge, can we see the world for what it is...

Wait a minute... that is the Matrix, isn't it?

Hmm...

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
No, I don't really watch the Matrix. I only saw the first one 2 times, and have never seen the second. This is just something that I was thinking about earlier while reading the forum. I have to admit (Skeptic Overlord) that you are right, in a way. It would be a most difficult task keeping all of the information in the world controlled. However, it would only be difficult for the life span of the people that you originally introduced the lie upon. Over time, as humans are born, raised and educated, this lie would become a fact of life (a constant if you will), whereas they have no reference to justify it against.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Not everything is a lie, but enough is to cause major problems if people actually found out.

We are told to believe in things that don't truly exist and told not to believe in things that are actually happening. I certainly would call that living a lie. The lie is nicer than the truth though so it is much more accepted.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
You're absolutely right. And I think what is happening now is that they are trying to slowly acclimize the public to the truth, to in some way "prepare" them for what is actually about to be revealed. After creating such an enormous lie, if you revealed the truth outright, without preparation, the result would be worldwide anarchy. People would go nuts.

Mr. M

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
how can everything be a lie, the footpath you walk on is real. and the bed u sleep on is a real thing. how can it be a lie. maybe everuthing is true and people spend there whole lives praying on a god who may never have existed. maybe he is there and maybe he keeps it interesting killing people and making bad things happen. but not one can be almighty and forever living. and what happens when you die. question we will never ever find answers to you can think about it as much as you want. and i have plenty of times but you will never know.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Why would they do that?
Lets say they didn't "Lie"
Whatever way we would be living would be normal to us.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Why does anyone have the right to make any opinion. I mean sure you have the right but thats just the point, anyone can just blurt out anything they feel like saying. Why believe anything, how can you really believe anything at all. Your just believing things that other people have created.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I find NEW threads...that are actually old.......all the dang time.

I love ATS...........and the continuation of topics far and wide.

Sorry if I ramble in happiness * wax poetic at ATS ..... I am watching the Vice Presidential debate between Palin and Biden and drinking shots when she says 'soccormom' and I am WAYYYYYYYYYY behind on shots......

Canada invented YUKON JACK.
I 'heart' Canada.

Now ON TOPIC............
Once you read the fairly short adventure 'story' called THE TERRA PAPERS
You begin to see clearly now.................and it ALLLLLL makes sense.
The world is a stage.....and the play being presented is for our entertainment only.
Here is a lnk to THE TERRA PAPERS........read it man.
Reading a little something never hurt anyone....being on this very site attests to that....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think movies LIKE ~The Matrix~ ......~STARGATE~ ....and very much like ~STAR WARS~
were made so that when truth leaks out people can point and laugh and blame it on someones 'imagination'................that is CAME from a movie......
Maybe they were made to make the HONEST truth look like nothing more than some interesting idea in a film? Seams to be working pretty dang good here on good ol planet earth.....

[edit on 2-10-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
It wouldn't take too much effort to maintain a lie as big as what this OP is talking about if almost each and every person participates actively in maintaining it and violently opposes his own free will in himself and in other.
If only a small handful of "masters at the top" know the lie thoroughly enough, they need only make a suggestion to create the reality they desire to see, because the suggestion makes sense to the lie which we actively participate in... because we are violently opposed to the truth, quite actually. The truth just cannot be so, because we've too much to lose. Simple. We build our own prisons. The Matrix? That's just a dumbed down metaphor for what we're talking about here.

If the Tao is somewhat near to the truth, and we are all one... what else is there but the one? The one chooses its surrounding out of boredom, and much like playing a video game, it's no fun if it's easy and you have all the cheat codes. The one chooses its challenges, chooses its companion, chooses its reality. The one is everything around you. If you think in linear terms, you cannot fathom hiow this can be accomplished, but you are the one. I am the one. Skeptic Overlord is the one. The illusion is choosing to forget and get lost, out of simple boredom and loneliness... because yes the illusion is that this or that has meaning, but in the end, it's all just a pattern to observe.

You can travel to higher dimensions and see beings of light, and they will talk high like they know... but the ego IS what makes the illusion exist. Everything around you is your ego. Everything in all other dimensions and higher or lower vibrations of existence is ego. It is what you've become in order to forget what you are. Existence is the lie. So what is unconditional love, without bringing human hormones or emotional attachments into it? Appreciating the lie, for it is all you have.

Quite simply, we are all God and this is God's amusement.

Don't let me get too deep. Because I can't stand being the only one, and so I multiply.

[edit on 2-10-2008 by dunwichwitch]

[edit on 2-10-2008 by dunwichwitch]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
MissWitch...or MrWitch....(I dunno which).......
....I 'heart' you to.......

everything I write must be edited due to DYSLEXIA......

[edit on 2-10-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarChild
What if it's possible that everything, and I mean everything that we know is a lie? Now think about this for a second.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted" is a saying that originated out of the leader of the Hashshashin (Order of Assassins).

I think you will find that the Knights Templars history crosses the Hashshashin's history in Israel. The Masons and Shiners history also comes from the same lines and it coincides with some of thier rituals.

[edit on 2-10-2008 by In nothing we trust]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join