It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge a book (or a member) by its cover

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
OK, your plant is out there, amongst the rocks. So I see you as
a person who is a fragile being in amongst a hard world, yet you prevail.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by Breifne

So, what about members with no avatars - do we tend to get shunned as a perception that we are, well, maybe not as committed to this site, almost on the periphery of the conversation due to our lack of 'identity'??

As a matter of fact, that kind of does pop in to my mind. Unless I have read many posts by someone with no avatar, I don't usually have much of an opinion either way. There are probably only a handful of posters that I have formed opinions of that do not have avatars. I think the avatars help solidify the poster in my memory.

Good point.

Which is exactly why I got one. The first few months I was here I didn't get one because I wanted to stay 'anonymous' due to the nature of the site LOL
. Seems a bit ridiculous now.

And now for my assessments:

Always thought neformore, kosmicjack, LateApexer were men and whatukno was a woman.

Skyfloating: Dark haired with glasses, tall and thin, sitting at a desk cluttered with rare books and papers everywhere. (male, of course)

QBSneak: young male (because of the QB), dark hair, energetic, outgoing

roadgravel: male, 40s, southern US, sportsman, in good physical shape

my friend seagrass: lol hippy chick to the max! long flowing brown hair, peasant skirts, peasant tops, sandals, living in the woods, gardening, driving some kind of old car no one has ever heard of because it was free on the side of the road, nice to everyone, good humored.

asala: I totally got the friendliness and helpfulness from your un-mod-like avatar. Now if I could only tell if you're a man or woman...I'm guessing man.

and Karl the OP: You're a mystery to me. Your avatar is like a mask because I don't think you're some kind of serial killer. You seem to be hiding yourself behind something totally foreign and unrelated. Maybe you just like to remain anonymous? Well it's working because I can't even conjure up an image from your posts. Man of Mystery!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
OK, your plant is out there, amongst the rocks. So I see you as
a person who is a fragile being in amongst a hard world, yet you prevail.

Me...fragile?

But on a broader scale....what nice imagery.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Karl,
I always see you as a someone to revere for some reason. I think it has partly to do with the solemn look on your avatar ( I havent seen the movie yet), and partly because your posts seem to be rather consistent.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
More analyses...

LDragonfire: I always like your posts and threads. I picture you as a man in his 30s with a stressful job, always on the phone trying to straighten things out, with dark hair and jeans.

Gools: Sandy haired man in early 30s. generous yet serious.

BlackOps: Didn't you say you live on the Carolina coast? Didn't you used to have a pic of a man in front of water? When you changed to Rollins it totally threw me for a loop and I thought you were a different poster. I picture you as a man with blonde hair and a deep tan and easygoing attitude. Maybe that's just me projecting my image of home (SC) onto you.

SpartanKingLeonidas: I can't help but think of Gerard Butler in 300 typing away to ATS despite whatever Halo-type man you have on your avatar.

Tomis_Nexus: a man, late 20s with sandy hair and tight jeans from texas. slim figure, good listener, positive thinker, understanding and empathetic, very helpful. Blue eyes, likes johnny cash.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever held a conversation with most of the people who've participated on this thread, although most of your names and avatars are familiar to me.

With the exception of Jedimiller, who has posted actual pictures of himself as well as a good deal of personal information for some odd reason, I can honestly say I imagine all of the rest of you to be:

Female, slender, toned, tanned, well-endowed, scantily-clad, 21 years of age, and single;

And furthermore, you all are highly attracted to pale, hairy-chested, scrawny guys with unkempt hair, wire-framed glasses, low-income jobs and no ambition or future of any kind.

And I would thank you all to never deprive me of that delusion, because it's one of maybe 3 things that gets me out of bed in the.. well, late afternoon, if it's my day off.

edit to add: no, I am not kidding.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by mattifikation]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
More still...

Loam: I know it's weird but 'loam' is one of my favorite words. I just like to say it and I like the idea of loamy ground. I picture you as a man who is very serious. Glasses, 40s, successful, somewhat shy, not boastful.

I always thought Benevolent Heretic was a guy. So I'm way off...

LLoyd45: I sort of picture you looking like your avatar, but less prepared for situationx and more prepared for a life in the country. I see you as dark haired, strong build, very serious and always, always prepared. Also very strong willed and not afraid of hard work.

psychopump: your avatar makes me think of anime, so I picture you as a thin, dark and spkiey haired, dark eyed anime-esque young man.

fred3110: I picture you as a man, late 40s-50, with gray hair and an easygoing disposition. Because of your avatar I pictured you living in the Southwestern US.

coven: late 20s male, pale skin and sandy hair, glasses. intuitive and a good listener, not adding anything unnecessary to a conversation. sometimes moody and withdrawn.

quaple_pogue: you're hard to judge. I think you're possibly a woman, mid 30s with a thirst for spiritual knowledge. dark hair, likes to read, likes alone time to decompress.

laughing cat: 40s, female, kids who are almost grown and possibly an unappreciative husband. great at everything you do but unappreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, that's everyone that I know or kinda know who's posted. I'd love to have anyone's analysis of me!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

You are all the things I just described, in addition to being a Canadian who likes European beer that was American beer last week and....

Oh god, I wanted to forget... we even lost our beer.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

Haha well your post did make me laugh out loud so I gave it a star for humor rather than accuracy.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
hi guys!!i'm just curious as to what you peeps perceive me to be through my avatar!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

almost man, almost.

Not so young, 35 but you did get the dark hair right and I do consider myself as an outgoing individual.

Love your avatar.....haha "Americas hat" awesome.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by quaple_pouge
reply to post by LLoyd45

Terry Bradshaw isn't a bad looking man....now if you tell me your personality is like his, we might have a problem

He kinda seems like a spaz!
Nah, I just look like him.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon2

You're a nerd loving hot chick, who also happens to be into role-playing, and would really know how to handle my lightsaber.

The lightsaber comment is literal and not a euphemism for anything outside the T&C. Honest.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Wait...

Benevolent Heretic, I don't see you as a hot chick. Sorry, but I see you as my dead golden retriever who has returned and now speaks to me in English. I know your avatar is a German Shepard, but that's not what kind of dog I had.

Plus I miss that dog...

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Oftentimes, what we see others as online, is a reflection of ourselves.

Indeed.
Lot of truth in that.

I have formed visuals of those that post here based mostly on the posts but avatars play a large part in that. I am sure going by avatars alone would work out as well but I believe also that we FEEL people through the internet.

Thats right...I believe we can at times sense the person at the computer subconsciously and from that energy we make our judgments.

I'm sure my avatar has allowed for similar judgments of me.
At least the most obvious elements in the three images in my gif.

Long live the inter-webz.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Okay, how am I supposed to play along in this thread if the 'poster above [me]' (i.e. 'mattifikation') doesn't have an avatar? All I could assume is that he/she/it is a newbie and is either too lazy to upload an image for the rest of us to judge or is hiding something. Or perhaps, I 'really' think he/she/it is an ordinary lurker, a disinfo agent at best, like everyone else participating in 'fun' threads.

[edit on 2008-7-17 by pikypiky]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Nooo... I've been a member for almost a year now, so I'm not really old school but I'm not a newbie either. And I'm definitely not an agent of any kind. If you could see my paycheck you'd believe me on that one :-p

Actually my lack of an avatar is, at this point, an intentional thing, for some of the very reasons brought up in this thread. An avatar causes people to judge, to assume that I am this, or perceive me as that. I'd rather people just read what I said and form an opinion on that.

I hope it also serves to make me less memorable, so that if somebody reads a post I make they judge that post alone and not factor in something else unrelated that I may have said elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
@Karlhungis-

To be honest I don't really project much onto you or alot of the members here. When I first joined I got quite a "verbal dumping" from another member(theLIBRA I belive). After that I stopped assuming anything on this site. The only members I can really comment on are ones that have been here 2-3 years. I've noticed most posters actually change after about a year or two on here...I tend to wait till then to make any real judgements. Outside of personal opinions(political,moral), I think alot us have much in common.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Well, if he didn't have one before, he does have one now.

Also, I find your avatar to be one of my favorites, but that's probably because it's an anime-style type. You draw it yourself?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

The image I get from you is that you like anime. You tend to believe in knowledge, truth and love. You occasionally are in a mood similar to "cloudy". From what I can tell, you most likely live in California.

Am I close?

On a serious note, I honestly don't know. This is an interesting thread. I find myself creating a mental image of others based on avatar and writing style, but the image is often very vague. When I talk to someone personally, though (not just debating or occasionally posting responses to someone) I find it easy to create a detailed image of opinions, beliefs, male/female, intelligent/not etc.

If I had to make a serious guess at some details about you, SonicInfinity, I would say you are a male in your mid to late 30's.

I'm probably way off

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join