It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Overrides Bush Veto on Medicare bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Congress Overrides Bush Veto on Medicare bill

www.latimes.com

WASHINGTON -- Congress delivered a stern rebuke to President Bush on Tuesday, overriding his veto of a Medicare bill and preventing pay cuts to doctors who treat seniors, the disabled and military personnel.

With strong bipartisan support for the override, lawmakers said the vote could set the stage for cooperation on healthcare reform under a new administration.

n the short term, the votes to nullify Bush's veto postponed a pay cut that would have gone into effect the very same day, potentially forcing 60% of doctors to limit new Medicare patients, the American Medical Assn. said
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I am quite shocked, and joyful, that Congress has managed to do something. I dismissed Congress as a non-issue with their jelly knees and lack of heart and control, but this is a good sign. Bush's power is waning, in a sense, and he cannot win/control everything.

Well, I hope this is the case

Though Bush wanted to be friendly to his insurance company friends, looks like the ones that actually need help won out on this one. Not only will the elderly and veterans benefit, but the bill will also cut the co-payment for mental health and the low-income folks on Medicare will get more assistance.

Studies have found that private plans sold by insurance companies are more costly, per person, for the government than Medicare. Again, Bush's Administration is trying to line the pockets of a select few and not address the issue of getting the help to those in need.

Patients over profit!

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-7-2008 by astronomine]

new topics

join