It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem with BOINC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I installed BOINC on my work computer yesterday. Originally it said it'd take ~5 hours to complete a work unit, however I come back this morning to find that it still hasn't completed any! After 22 hours of CPU time, the progress bar is stuck at 97%. I know the program is doing *something*, because it's still occupying 98% of my processor. I closed and restarted BOINC, and I even installed 2.27 alpha, and it still won't complete.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on what I can do to make it finish a workunit?

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I have the same problem. My comp zoomed through the first 8 WUs, but has spent 22 hours on the last two so far, and the progress bar seems stuck........

Anyone?

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Sorry, wish I could help. But unfortunately I have no experience with this specific software application.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Hi StarChild/ DJNothing!!!

Sorry to hear of your BOINC problems: unfortunately, I have never run this program myself as I'm still running SETI@home client.

xn is our resident "expert"
on things BOINC, and you might find this Thread helpful??

As you will know, eventually SETI@home will close down and BOINC is it's successor, so we will all be moving over to it in time.

I hope you can find some answers to your questions - BOINC is relatively "new" and so I expect there is still some tweaking to be done to the program itself??

Thanx for contributing your spare CPU cycles to an interesting cause!!

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
what is up with seti boinc?
i had my machines running all day... there doesn't seem to be any progress.

setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu...

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Update --

I let it go all night again, and after 24 hours and 49 minutes, it finally completed. Then it completed the next unit in 04:08, and now it's been crunching away at the third for 22 hours (98% complete).

As goofy as it is, it appears that this might be normal behavior.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
It was taking me 25 to 30 hours, and after 4 I didnt ever get any credit so I stopped.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
It was taking me 25 to 30 hours, and after 4 I didnt ever get any credit so I stopped.

Maybe its because you didn't send the results? I sent one result and i got 32 credit for it. Check and see if you did get the credit, if not then there probably is a problem.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Don't give up Cobra! Mine doesn't show any credit yet either, but that's because it hasn't uploaded any completed units yet either. I'm not sure how often it does that.

If anyone knows how to force it to upload units, let me know.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Hi all!!

As you know by now, I'm *not* running BOINC at present, so can't comment with any "authority" on these problems you are experiencing. Sorry

However, please remember that these are "early" days with the program (which I think is still in a beta state??) so please don't "cast it off" just yet!!

Afterall, please remember that - even *now* - people are continuing to join SETI@home, and *that* started in 1999!! So, although it might seem a "thankless task", I'm sure BOINC will prove invaluable and *you* people are paving the way for the likes of *me* to follow. Your trend setters in effect!!

xn

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Seti on BOINC takes a long time to complete because it has debugging code in it to help the developers fix the errors. They hope to take the debugging code out soon. With this code Seti will be slower to complete.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It takes me about 20 hours to complete one unit, but I do get credit because I manually force it to send results. To do this you must:
1. Open BONIC
2.Click on Projects
3. Right- click on the project you are working on
4. Click Update
5. Done

And that's all you do to force it to send results. I also think that it sends results when all of the units are complete. I have no idea wether this is true or not so...

top topics

join