It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a Christian Vote for Obama? or Why was I accosted by an Apocalyptic film maker?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The ideological mind is a curious one to behold.

Groupthink en masse, and yet the people involved will swear on their life that they are the only critical thinkers and that 'the others' are the ones stuck in groupthink. They appear completely devoid of reasoning and lack any and all ability to accept objective facts, and will instead accept and further fabrication and futility.

Ideologues will use you and then turn on you. When you support their rebellion you are a friend, but when they gain power, you have only suceeded in proving that you are a dangerous reactionary who must be silenced, lest you become a threat. Ideologues do not seek compromise, they seek submission and absolute authority.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

LOL Traffic Trolled, nice... thanks for the laugh, I needed it. Anywho, did you watch the video he gave you
Just curious as to what it was about.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyR

I haven't actually. It's still in the shrinkwrap. I'm waiting for some evening when I have nothing else worth while to do.

In the meantime, here is a link to his site, and it looks like he's hawking the book up there.

Evidently his site says:

Joel C. Rosenberg has been called "eerily prophetic" and a "modern Nostradamus" for his uncanny ability to write political thrillers that come true.

Whatever Traffic Troll!
:-)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
reply to post by JohnnyR

I haven't actually. It's still in the shrinkwrap. I'm waiting for some evening when I have nothing else worth while to do.

In the meantime, here is a link to his site, and it looks like he's hawking the book up there.

Evidently his site says:

Joel C. Rosenberg has been called "eerily prophetic" and a "modern Nostradamus" for his uncanny ability to write political thrillers that come true.

Whatever Traffic Troll!
:-)

I wonder if he's listed in the phone book. Did you say you are in Atlanta? I might just have to have a conversation with him tomorrow. If he posted he real name on his website he must not mind right?

Vas

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Thanks again
Yeah, its pretty weird to just start grilling someone in traffic, I dont think I could do that to someone.

Whats wrong with a smile, and "I hope you're having a great day"?

anyways.....
"I hope all of you are having a great day"

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasilis Azoth

Given that this guy flagged me down in traffic, I would think calling him up would be on par with his own actions.

Yeah I was driving west on Old Milton Parkway when it happened.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek

Your stereotypical extremists in religion

Exactly why I think its a BS story. Much like those emails that go around about Obama, the left puts out stories of mean Christians, so that everyone can sit around and bash them without feeling guilty. I see it all the time on other forums.
[edit on 16-7-2008 by Dronetek]

Yeah, you're right Drone.
People couldnt POSSIBLY bash people for supporting Obama. That only happens in other elections, and not this one.

I am Christian, but i share different beliefs from extreme whacked-out christian fellers like the guy the OP is talking about who gave him the DVD.

OP - this is one of those moments i wish i could have been there
I had a simliar experience with a man from the "green party" wanting me to sign some moronic petition against liberal and conservative "hate mongering" in the name of Christianity. Though i handled mine is a much more "aggressive" manner
probably adding fuel to his fire, but i walked away smiling. Damn Hippy! Saying "my party supports the legalization of marijuana" ... are you seriously trying to sway my vote on the notion that you think i MIGHT be a pothead?

Jesus Christ did not preach segregation and ridicule of your fellow human. Any Christian who does not see it this way - is what the bible refers to as the antichrist (its there, go read it)

To rally against the teachings of christ is to be against Christ himself.

Before i turn this into a religious debockle

Drone, obviously you've never heard of the Crusades

or

These Morons

The fact is, idiots like the guy the OP talks about, are abundant in today's society because people allow them the anonymity to exist.

Events like this happen and people come along and say "that didnt happen! you liar, you are just supporting the notion that Obama supporters are victims"

:shk:

And to think....well....obviously anyone who believes that every story like this is a lie, doesnt think too much at all...

[edit on 7/17/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek

Your stereotypical extremists in religion

Exactly why I think its a BS story. Much like those emails that go around about Obama, the left puts out stories of mean Christians, so that everyone can sit around and bash them without feeling guilty. I see it all the time on other forums.

As a non-Christian,its pretty obvious that people are constantly making stuff up in order to turn Obama in to a victim, or his supporters by proxy. Christians ALWAYS seem to be the enemy, which is odd to me.

On one of these political forums, any mention of Muslims being extremists or anything perceived as negative will be met with flames from the entire forum. However, these same people constantly bash Bush, Christians and anything perceived as "white". This seems to be the same kind of story, meant to build anger against McCain, Christians and white people in general.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Dronetek]

Isn't obama a christian?

Hasn't the right attacked every christian preacher who has ever shook his hand in public?

And how does bashing christianity equate to bashing white people?

Peace!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Z.S.P.V.G.

amen. praise the lord. christian all the way. but i support obama. mccain=bush. i dislike bush.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Grand Puba

because, when people think christian, they stereotypically see a white American male with a Bible and a smile on his face.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Hey,man,
I used to live in Kamloops, B.C.
This kid who lived down the street from me was hooked up with this evangelical type youth group in the city who renovating the basement of what used to be a strip club/motel into a youth club, and he asked us if we'd be into helping out. My brothers and I were pretty new to the area, so we figured, "hey, why not?".
We helped out for a few days, painting and putting together a stage for the bands (sweet deal!) and listlening to stories of redemption from self professed pederasts and drug addicts, kids from broken homes and single moms who had all found purpose in helping put this place together as a refuge for confused and disalusioned youth. Good times.
On opening night, there was a great big party with a live band and all kinds of people dancing and laughing and having a great time, while the youth pastor was up on stage thundering on about raising an army of believers, so that when God started raining fire from the mountains, we all could be his soldiers, meteing out his wrath and judgement against those who would oppose His will.

Okay... Not what I was expecting.......

I decided to talk to him about it later on in the night, just to make sure I was getting what he said. He told me I was cionfused because I hadn't heard The Word yet, but not to worry, because it would come to me, sometime in mabey the last place I expected. The he told me about how he first heard the call. He was in his late teens, at a satanic cerimony where he was somiking crack and drinking goats blood, and Jesus appeared to him and told him to build a church and gather the children....

No Sh#t?

on the other hand, I know lots of christians who are awsome people who I will trust to the end of the earth (even if I don't get to come along for the rapture), not to mention Mormons, Jews, Catholics, Hindus. Budists, Shintos, Pagans, and *gasp* Athiests(on a whole the least interesting).

What I'm slowly getting at is, there are weirdos everywhere of every race, creed, and denomination. The opposite is also true.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Being raised a Catholic, I would say that being Christian is what the one religion left on earth at the end. This is wrong. What is happening now is making provision for the one religion being Islam. The statue outside of cheney's office supports this. You can find signs of this all over the world. Go search under Mysterious Monuments. I did and started researching what they stood for. The Muslins will be running this world and that is not too far off. I suggest you check that out before you make your vote

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Yes, God as given us freewill, but God also left his us His Word. My question is why would any Christian vote for a man who promotes homosexual marriages and aborton. As a born again christian, the bible teaches us that God loves the sinner, but hates the sin. The bible teaches that homosexuality is a sin and murder is a sin. (1 Cor. 6:9) How can a baptist church promote a politician who is promoting a sinful lifestyle? Jesus teaches us the light and darkness cannot mixed, because the darkness can't have fellowship with the light. (Paraphrase from John 3) Why? The light exposes our sinful nature and that light is Jesus Christ. God can't have fellowship with sin.... So how can a Christian Baptist Church support a man who supports sinful behaviors? Yes, we have a freewill to follow Christ or not to follow Christ and we have a freewill to stand up for righteousness or unrighteousness. I would believe if we are truly born again Christians we would stand up for righteousness sake.....

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mntruthseeker

There will never be "one religion" left on earth.
As long as there is more than one person, there will be more than one perception of god, truth, and what constitutes the "right" way to live.
The faster people get over it the better.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
To you he may be a Christian, but to another Muslim he will always be part of the Islamic Muslim BrootherHooD!

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasilis Azoth

Did you ever call this guy?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Wow, people took your post so many different ways!

I am an Obama supporter and an evangelical Christian. Much of the institution (the HUMAN institution) of Christian religion has been hijacked by the issues of abortion and gay rights (by the way, I feel gay rights would simply be a non-issue to Jesus...He would not see any difference between hetero or homosexual, man or woman, black or white...He served us all, sacrificed for all, and loves us all). Much ignored are the issues of poverty, hunger, violence/war, and injustice...all issues that Jesus fought against with his teachings and example. Christ-followers cannot raise the banner against a couple of issues while totally ignoring most of the teachings of Jesus. Jesus is love. It's unfortunate that Jesus's followers are typically those who paint Him in a completely different like and besmirch his name!

What is encouraging to me is that younger Christians are realizing the limited view of the "religious right," and are taking up the banner of the complete Jesus.

Anyway, I'll be putting my "Christians for Obama" sticker on my car soon. Hopefully it'll create some conversations!

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I also have an Obama sticker on the back of my truck.

You .. naaaaaaah, really? I would've never guessed.

Silly man, doesn't he know Obama is our true Messiah.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
To answer the question - if there was one - about fully grown, mature adults insinuating that only true Christians would vote a certain way, I would say this:

Look at examples of other so-called "Christians" who do the same, such as the Westboro Baptist Church who make it a point to protest at the funeral of dead soldiers who were known to be gay. They try to tell us that if we were true Christians we would all reject the gay lifestyle.

In other words, someone else is telling you how they think you ought to live.

You were right when you thought "I believe in free will" because that's how God made everyone. We have the right to decide for ourselves what we believe to be the right way to live, vote, etc. How we resolve conflicts of interest within the bounds of morality is between you and God. If someone else feels the need to tell you what their opinion is when you didn't ask for it, you have the right to tell them to piss off, in so many words. Any respectable organization will only need to be told "no thanks" once and then leave you alone.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Very interesting and something a lot of us progressive Christians have to deal with every day. It might very well be a sin to be homosexual and abortion might very well be a sin as well. I don't know and I am not the judge of that but the truth is that there are lots of sin and we all sin every day that is why Jesus died on the cross for ALL our sins. I used to be a pro-choice and I still am to a certain extent but I can see the point of view for a pro-life person as well there really are a lot of families that cannot have kids. My thought is that there are sooo many other issues that we have to face today and for me they supercede just these too issues. Global warming (Did God not tell us to be a good steward of what we have? That INCLUDE this earth), Genocide in Darfur, Growing the middle class (Did Jesus not preach that we should treat our others as we want to be treated?). I can go on and on and on on issues that Republicans go against the Bible and that is somehow not un- Christian?...
Don't forget Jesus was considered a rebel in his days...

<< 1    3 >>

join