It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake $1 Million Dollar Bill Surfaces in Wal-Mart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:31 AM
link   
COVINGTON, Ga. (AP) -- A woman was caught last Friday trying to use a fake $1 million bill to buy $1,675 worth of merchandise at a Wal-Mart near Atlanta, and was later found with two more of the bills in her purse, police said.

www.AP.org

The United States Treasury does not make $1 million bills, and in fact hasn't made anything larger than a $100 in thirty-five years, but people can buy souvenirs of such a bill at some stores, police said.

"It looks real, but of course there's nothing real about this," Covington Police Chief Stacey Cotton said Tuesday. "People do crazy things all the time. I think it's just another example of some odd things that occur."

A clerk at the store immediately noticed the bill was fake when 35-year-old Alice Regina Pike handed it to her, Cotton said. Pike then tried to use two gift cards with only $2.32 of value on them to buy the merchandise, but when that didn't work she again asked if the clerk could cash the $1 million bill, Cotton said. The store then called police.

Pike was charged with forgery. There was no listing for her phone number in directory assistance, and she could not be reached for comment.

Maybe they DO make $1 Million dollar bills where Pike comes from... THE FUTURE! Just kidding, she's a loon, but I like how she tried to pay with an empty gift card and when that didn't work asked to cash one of her million dollar bills. And why not? She had two more in her purse! I wonder how many people shop Wal-Mart packing $3 Million dollars these days.

Damn thing looks pretty good, huh? Looks like she's been carrying them a while. Must be hard to cash.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
That's funny as hell. I find it hilarious that people can be so stupid. What was she thinking trying to cash something like that at a Wal-Mart? Maybe she was hallucinating and thought that it was a hundred. It is possible...

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:39 AM
link   
And I suppose she expected Wal-Mart to have the right change.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   

That's funny as hell. I find it hilarious that people can be so stupid. What was she thinking trying to cash something like that at a Wal-Mart? Maybe she was hallucinating and thought that it was a hundred. It is possible...

Well, if ANYONE would fall for it, it'd likely be a minimum wage cashier... Still you'd have to pick the right line for it to actually work, and then, you KNOW she wouldn't have change, so then a supervisor would figure it out.... I see a future Darwin Award winner here.....

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Yeah right. She is probably delusional. They should send her to a mental health facility against her will.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I can't read any fine print to see if it says "not legal tender" but it is supposedly signed by A. Hamilton, and has some goofy "Right to bear arms" symbol on it. No dates but it says "US MILLENIUM NOTE" so I think it may really be an effort at counterfeit, not just a joke item. Hard to tell. I thought jokes had to say "not legal tender" and couldn't be the same size as real money.

She was charged with REAL FORGERY though. So that's not just passing conterfeit. That's assuming she made it. I think.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It could have been an honest mistake. During the latter part of last year, I came across that million dollar bill. I work with a good number of folks from India, and one of them approached me and showed me pictures of one that his father has in India. He wanted me to check into how to get it cashed - said he'd give me a few thousand for my troubles. I took it to a bank, found that it was made by the association of millionnaires to give out as a "thanks a million". It comes with a certificate of authenticity, looks and feels like real money and has the watermark. THe largest bill the was legal tender was the $10,000 bill which is being yanked when circulated.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I can't read any fine print to see if it says "not legal tender" but it is supposedly signed by A. Hamilton, and has some goofy "Right to bear arms" symbol on it. No dates but it says "US MILLENIUM NOTE" so I think it may really be an effort at counterfeit, not just a joke item. Hard to tell. I thought jokes had to say "not legal tender" and couldn't be the same size as real money.

She was charged with REAL FORGERY though. So that's not just passing conterfeit. That's assuming she made it. I think.

Very good point. Play money or prank versions are mandated by law to have the phrase "Not Legal Tender" printed on them.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
geez...

trying to spend it at WalMart, maybe she is on the "inside" and trying to help WalMart and the NWO out by spending the Million there

I would have at least tried it at a Car Dealership.

"umm yes sir, I'll take 2 of those red corvettes, 2 Hummers, 1 Jaguar, oh yeah, and please import my Lamborghini (sp) by tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
This is lunacy on the part of Walmart and the government to press "forgery charges." It is obviously something like play money, and no one would accept such a thing seriously. I have grave doubts about our social structure and legal system, when it is portended that such a bill is actually credible in such a situation. Instead of just having a laugh and asking for real money, the fact that Walmart presses charges is a testimony to heartlessness. Zero tolerence is so out of hand, that we are becoming a humorless and dead culture.

By the way it appears to be an imitation of a collectors series.

www.i-a-m.ws...

But here is another bill:

www.themilliondollar.com...

It has "non negotiable," on it.

Also see "traditional million dollar bill," that has the "keep and bear arms," logo and looks the most like the one in this forum pictured above:

www.prankplace.com...

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by SkipShipman]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
THe ORIGINAL ones made by the association of millionaires were made like real money. The above are not the same.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
something else that just hit me...

she was trying to buy what.. $1,600 in merchandise ?

Did she really think that they ( walmar ) would be able to give her $998,400 change back ?

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   
well maybe she is charged with forgery on the fact that if she was trying to actually use one of the bills with knowledge, she also might have been trying to see if her counterfit gift cards would work? of course it probably would have said that in the article.

the town is 35.36 miles from atlanta, so shouldnt that be approximated at 35 miles instead of 32 miles? or even at 30 miles. (of course that might just be road distance, i got it off mapquest).

her last name is also pike? the 2 gift cards totaling 2.32?

OR she does look pretty happy in her mugshot, maybe she just wanted the fame

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I didn't even know wal-mart sold giftcards.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
And this is surprising to anyone? Hell, I meet people that do incredibly crazy and dumb things all the time...

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Yep, they do...in fact, it's a cheaper way to get gas...as there is a special rate per gallon if you pay by gift card....

she was trying to buy what.. $1,600 in merchandise ?

This puts it beyond the scope of a joke, and constitutes fraud...they are perfectly within their rights to prosecute, and I for one, welcome this removal from the shallow end of the gene pool....

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
No guesses as to where the lady had been shortly beforehand:

top topics

join