It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Says Drill, Drill, Drill — and Oil Drops $9!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
That spot of oil you see floating, if it came from an oil rig it would be black and thick like putty. Crude oil from a rig off shore would not look like that. Thats from some fool who doesn't take care of his yacht or power boat. Nice try!

I'm not REALLY sure which picture you are referring to where you see "oil".

But if it is the last picture on Shar's post, i do believe that's a jellyfish in the water. Has the same markings as this one does.

Jellyfish in Florida

I'm not positive now, maybe Shar can help out here, but that's what it looks like to me!

[edit on 7/15/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Exactly how long is it going to take, until we start seeing oil drilled from this at the bowsers?

This oil drop in my mind is just lip service.

I doubt we'll see the flow on effects anyway!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

So why is cities like Tampa, Marco Island, Naples all of those cities of the west coast, they have beautiful waters thats right of the coast of the Gulf. Hell, Marco Island by itself is in the Gulf Of Mexico and I see nothing but beautiful water all around. F*ck China we should just bomb there oil rigs and steal there oil. (yea right)

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Yes it is a jellyfish. Sorry I didn't make it clear in this one for people. I did in the last one.

Its in clear ocean water in florida. See thats what I was showing the difference between florida and the gulf coast.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
So you try to say that we have all this infrastructure in place to see oil in 2 months,

Im sorry if i made is sound like we could built Oil Rigs and produce oil in 2 months.. my bad... that would be difficult, drilling for oil on land is a bit easier, and would take less time to built the infristructure.

Now, idk if you watch TV, but i do every once in a while...

There is a TV show on now, i havent seen it, but its from the creators of the Deadlest Catch... its Called Black Gold

Its some suedo-reality show, about drilling for oil... no biggie right, until you find out that it took them 55 Days, from the start of drilling to when they had thier first barrel of oil...

But that was just for a TV show... i guess if its for ratings, you can get oil in 2 months, but if its for national sercurity, it will take 10 years...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Definitely Jelly Fish in that picture ill be the first one to tell you. However I would like to know where in Fl was that picture taken.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Those pictures in FL. were taken at south beach in Miami.

To another poster again the reason Fl. coast is still nice is because they have not let these oil wells get close to them.

They are miles and miles away. Now however Bush wants this ban to be lifted so they can ruin the Fl. coast line like they did the gulfs.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

Nice! I cant wait till start swimming in that crappy water. I cant wait till I take my kids to the beach and take pictures of them in that water. However it will take about 8 years so maybe I should just move out of Florida and move to..... OMG I dont think no other state in the nation has beautiful beach like in Florida. I mean dont you just like fishing off the 7 mile bridge and switch from throwing your line off the Gulf but then change your mind then throw your line off to the Atlantic? Has anyone fished off the 7 mile bridge?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Its some suedo-reality show, about drilling for oil... no biggie right, until you find out that it took them 55 Days, from the start of drilling to when they had thier first barrel of oil...

I realize you are not claiming it to be science but this does not include, a)finding the oil b) determining the logistics/engineering for building the platform c)actually building the platform and d)pumping the oil.

Did you see my math on this coastal and ANWR oil? Not counting the Green River Shale oil, we will only get a four year supply from all the oil on the coasts and in ANWR. Honestly you think that is worth it?

Daewoo Oil Platform

This article is from 2007 and says it will be 2011 before the platform will be delivered. Roughly 4 years to build a platform.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage

I realize you are not claiming it to be science but this does not include, a)finding the oil b) determining the logistics/engineering for building the platform c)actually building the platform and d)pumping the oil.

Did you see my math on this coastal and ANWR oil? Not counting the Green River Shale oil, we will only get a four year supply from all the oil on the coasts and in ANWR. Honestly you think that is worth it?

Daewoo Oil Platform

This article is from 2007 and says it will be 2011 before the platform will be delivered. Roughly 4 years to build a platform.

Nice, so I guess I have more time in Florida

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Solo954

I haven't fished off the 7 mile bridge. However, enjoy it while it last because if this drilling happens this is what Florida will look like in no time at all.

I know for a fact its been like that for well over 15 years. I think one could ask the EPA or some higher up to know how long its actually been this way.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
It isn't just the oil that fouls the water, either. Before they reach the oil they drill pretty deep, and the first thing that comes up is drilling mud. Lots of it. I remember seeing it in the water off Devereaux Point in Goleta when I was learning to surf, way back in the early 80's. That stuff was nasty! There's a reason it is on the bottom of the ocean to begin with, it died and sank down there!

I heard the "not a drop of oil spilled during Katrina and Rita" line earlier today on Fox. Somebody is getting their talking points right from the mouth of the beast. Too bad you didn't add the counterpoint from the guy who said there were satellite pictures that didn't lie showing the Gulf covered in oil after the storms.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

This oil drop in my mind is just lip service.

I'm sure Bush & Co. are working hard right now to scare the traders and speculators in order to get the gas prices lower for the upcoming US presidential election.

But that will only do so much, there's also the problem with the dollar.

After that, who knows?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

What do you mean by that? I dont think it would favor McCain he voted infavor of the ban not to lift it. If anything it would help Obama and I dont think that what the republican party wants.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Not too sure if you have ever worked in the oilpatch...I have. In fact I have worked in that lovely plave you linked...Alberta. I know a thing or two about getting oil from the ground and into your gas tank. 10 years is not too much. I don't want to rewrite this so I will just repost what I worte in another thread. These are logical estimates and will standup. I projected 7 years, but that is pushing it.

Originally posted by Rook1545
It might...eventually.

There are somethings that need to be considered. First off is timeframe. I have been listening to some pretty conservative guys on the radio lately, and they seem to have absolutely no clue. They are all for drilling NOW, and think it will bring down gas prices tomorrow. Here is a quick list of considerations:

1. Refining. This is critical. Once you get the oil out you need to refine it into gas. New ones would have to be built. This takes time, alot of time. I have worked oilfield and have seen how long it takes to build these, you are looking at probably at least 7 years from the start of planning to having refined gas.

People might say "well what about the refineries we have?" They are pretty much at max capacity. It really doesn't make sense to have a huge monster gas factory running 24/7 and only run it at 60-80% capacity, that is wasting money, alot of it. This is probably why the oil companies are sitting on alot of their leases, no place to put the oil after getting it out of the ground.

2. Upgrading. When you pull the oil out of the ground it is not ready to go into the refinery. Depending on the field it could have quite a bit of sediment and water in it, that needs to get taken out. The mid-line facilities to remove this take about 2 years to build from planning to shipping. That is fine it fits in the timeframe to build the refineries.

3. Labour. Where are you going to get all of the people to do the drilling and the building and running of this stuff? Sure there are quite a few people out of jobs that could use the work, but there is the training required. That is fine though again it fits into the timeframe for the refinery.

Now you could go ahead and drill the oil and have someone else refine it for you...but that leaves you in the exact same situation you are in right now. The companies drill the oil, sell it to another company to refine it, then buy it back at a higher price. Might work until the refineries are done, but doesn't solve anything in the mean time. I think for the drill now to work they would have had to have started on it quite a while ago.

You can try to argue these, but it would be futile. I think if you look at what I have there, it is pretty logical. 7-10 years is not that big of a stretch of the imagination.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Solo954

I was mainly talking about the timing that the Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke made his announcement and the US Labor Department report came out. (See my post on the first page) Wasn't really commenting on the oil ban lift.

I think they might be starting to use these sort of reports, and we'll probably start hearing a lot more, to scare the oil market to try to get the price of oil /gas down for the upcoming election.

Now they'll be trying anything they can to get the oil/gas prices down.

[Edit to add:]

Oh, by the way, never fished off 7 mile bridge, but have been over it plenty of times.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

So if we were to drill crude oil, I understand that 90 percent is good and the other 10 percent of crude is waste. Where would we dump out that 10 percent?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solo954

So if we were to drill crude oil, I understand that 90 percent is good and the other 10 percent of crude is waste. Where would we dump out that 10 percent?

They usually either pump it back into the ground, or try to get it as clean as possible and then use it for road bed.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Does that depend on the company you work for, what they wish to do with the waste? The reason why I ask is because i seen a documentary on an Oil company i believe it was shell. So anyway they were drilling in Africa and they were explaining how they usually dump the waste in local rivers and lakes, and the natives use these nearby sources of water for washing, fishing and even for
hygiene. Thats why I ask, i mean im pretty sure we have laws that protect us from that but I would be quite interested in hearing what really goes on.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Solo954]

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Solo954]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone

Bacterial polution does not come from crude.

I was kind of surprised that where drilling in the Gulf was going on that there was a bacterial problem in those areas. You would have thought, at least I did, that the bacteria would have been killed off by oil if there was a spill.

I was thinking along the same lines as you were.

So, I did a search, and what I found surprised me!

Scientists Find That Tons Of Oil Seep Into The Gulf Of Mexico Each Year

Twice an Exxon Valdez spill worth of oil seeps into the Gulf of Mexico every year, according to a new study that will be presented January 27 at the Ocean Sciences Meeting in San Antonio, Texas.

But the oil isn't destroying habitats or wiping out ocean life. The ooze is a natural phenomena that's been going on for many thousands of years, according to Roger Mitchell, Vice President of Program Development at the Earth Satellite Corporation (EarthSat) in Rockville Md. "The wildlife have adapted and evolved and have no problem dealing with the oil," he said.

Oil that finds its way to the surface from natural seeps get broken down by bacteria and ends up as carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas.

So, according to this report, a lot, or at least some, of the problems with the high bacteria levels in the Gulf where oil drilling is being done is a "natural phenomena", the bacteria feed on the oil!

Here's some more links.

Bacteria Role Is Hailed in Gulf Oil Cleanup - New York Times
Oil-Eating Bacteria to Clean Up Spills
Two Novel Species of Bacteria Isolated From Oil Wells
Oil-eating Bacteria Make Light Work of Heavy Fuel

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join