It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Says Drill, Drill, Drill — and Oil Drops $9!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Correct but what you have to take into consideration is that if we do decide to drill we would have to find a way around the reefs. Thus making this journey longer then 2 months like my good friend said. Thats what I ment when i mentioned the reefs

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Zindo, you bring up a good point.

The GLOBAL demand is rising... ill try to make this as simple as i can... using a 'theoretical' example...

Lets say there are 10 units of oil per year. And we have 3 countries, the US, India, and China. Lets say, the US uses 6 of those, india and China both use 2.

So, in year 1, there is a demand for 10 units, and there is a supply of 10 units...

Now, in year 2, the demand goes up, US 6 China 3 India 3... now there is a DEMAND of 12, but the supply is still at 10. With a greater Demand then supply, the PRICE of the good will rise. Because of the greater competition for the limited supply.

The above is a very simple demonstration of what is happening.

Global Demand is Rising, and the Global supply is not rising with it. That is why the price is going up. Its very simple economics, Its highschool level Econ...

Increase Demmand while Supply stays the same = Increase in price
Increase Supply while Demmand stays the same = Decrease in price

This isnt ground breaking, this is basic highschool Economics...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
In my opinion, this is the kind of moronic thought that we need to stop.
10 years! Ten years to get a drop of oil out of the ground... that is a made up number, and most people bought it, bought it right from the mouth of the Major Media...
People that say it will take 10 years HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Does the US Department of Energy not know what they are talking about either?

The projections in the OCS access case indicate that access to the Pacific, Atlantic, and eastern Gulf regions would not have a significant impact on domestic crude oil and natural gas production or prices before 2030. Leasing would begin no sooner than 2012, and production would not be expected to start before 2017.
Source

But of course I am sure G.W Bush and John McCain know much more than the Energy Dept...

Do you realise how long 10 years is??? We fought and WON WWI AND WWII in less then 10 years...
We finnished the Pannama Cannel in less then 10 years
We stated we wanted to go to the MOON, and in less then 10 years we did
The Trans-American Railroad, less then 10 years
The Manhatten Project, less then 10 years

And all of that has to do with oil prices how?

We could see our first barrel of oil in 2 months if we wanted... instead, our senators, and reps just want to argue, and complain about everything...

And you know this how?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I hope that this will open people's minds and eyes to the reality that our own elected politicians are playing all of us like fools.

And guess what we are nothing than the pieces in their game of chess.

Remember elections are just a few months away I said it before the prices of gas will go down just before them and then you see what is going to happen next.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Yes everyone in America knows gas is priced by supply and demand. It took you an algebra class to figure out the math. However from my understanding is that we can drill off 3 different placed correct? Alaska, Gulf of Mexico and off of Texas am I right or does someone need to revise me?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Solo954

Solo, you seem very concerened about the coral reefs, so i will adress you.

The oil companies are very SAFE, they don't pollute like everyone wants them too. When Hurricane Katrina came thru the Gulf, not ONE DROP of oil was spilled.

The off shore oil platforms are built BEYOND the horizen, out of sight from the shore.

And with the new technology in drilling, the platforms DO NOT have to be directly OVER the source of oil.

So, if there was a LARGE oil desposit DIRECTLY under a coral reef off of Florida, they could build the platform MILES away from the Reef, and DIRECTIONAL Drill to the oil deposit under the Reef.

Now, here is a small chart of the oil avalbile in North America

And, as you can see, less then 2% of NA oil is off shore...

However from my understanding is that we can drill off 3 different placed correct? Alaska, Gulf of Mexico and off of Texas

??? Are you saying that those are the only 3 places that the US drills??? If that is the case, you are incorrect. In just about EVERY state, there is drilling... and oil...

And off of texas IS the Gulf Of Mexico...

And here is a little titbit, that can REALY help American become oil dependent.

The United States has the largest known deposits of oil shale in the world, according to the Bureau of Land Management and holds an estimated 2,500 gigabarrels of potentially recoverable oil, enough to meet U.S. demand for oil at current rates for 110 years. However, oil shale does not actually contain oil, but a waxy oil precursor known as kerogen. For this reason and because there is not yet any significant commercial production of oil from oil shale in the United States as of 2008, its oil shale reserves do not meet the petroleum industry definition of proven oil reserves.

The US would have to work to develope the Technology to remove this, and refine this... thats a tech problem though...

[edit on 7/15/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
In this thread here.

We were talking about this. I posted my thoughts and some pictures to show the difference where drilling takes place at and where it does not take place.

Nasty gulf where drilling takes place!!! It's like this all the way up past Texas. Been this way for well over 15 years now.

Florida's where no drilling is. Notice the difference!

Its clear and beautiful.

So clear you can see a jellyfish.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Solo954

We would first have to fix the economy before we can fix our oil crisis, and with 2 big major banks falling under the FDIC already, and not to mention the famous government list that has banks name on the "OK" list but are not releasing the names, Im sure were probably looking at another panic or depression. Its a tale that has happened 4 times already.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

That is NOT from oil rigs, the first two photos are run off sewage from the land. Bacterial polution does not come from crude. That spot of oil you see floating, if it came from an oil rig it would be black and thick like putty. Crude oil from a rig off shore would not look like that. Thats from some fool who doesn't take care of his yacht or power boat. Nice try!

Zindo

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

There is currently 68 million acres of coastline that has been set aside for drilling and the oil companies have not even touched so why would opening up more entice them to start drilling?

Link

Link 2

Link 3

Available Oil

The White House estimates that there are 18 billion barrels of oil offshore that have not been exploited because of state bans, 10 billion to 12 billion in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil in the Green River Basin. iReport.com: Is drilling the best option?

The US uses 20 million barrels of oil per day, there is estimated to be 18 billion barrels offshore and 10-12 billion in ANWR for a total of 30 billion barrels at current oil consumption we would net only 4 years of oil from both of these locations. So, lets see it will take 8-10 years to see any of this oil and we will only get a 4 years supply. This doesnt sound like a very good idea. That is assuming that our oil consumption stays the same.

Barrels of Oil Per Day

If people would start doing the math on this supposed available oil they would quickly realize that it has the same fixing ability as the "holiday gas tax" hoax. Wake up people, this is Bush trying to line the pockets of his oil buddies.

Eveyone wants cheaper oil or a better fuel, but this is not the answer. It only serves to exploit the coastline and ANWR and get more money in the pockets of oil companies. Do the math and try to argue the numbers. It just doesnt make sense to drill.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

reply to post by Solo954

Solo, you seem very concerened about the coral reefs, so i will adress you.

And with the new technology in drilling, the platforms DO NOT have to be

North America

And, as you can see, less then 2% of NA oil is off shore...

I believe the reason why you say that is because Bush had stated in a press conference. Bush also said there weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. I dont believe anything that sounds smart coming out of that mans mouth. However being that I live in Miami, Fl I can take into consideration what those pictures show me

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

Shar...

The first 2 pics are from the Gulf

The second 2 are from the Atlantic Ocean...

Anyone who has lived in Florida knows this...

The Gulf is nasty...

And now that im looking at the pic a bit more, the first few pics are from Lousiania, and the color of the water is probly due to run-off, from sewage, and deposits from the mississippi...
---

And Zindo, i think the object in the last pic is a JellyFish... not an oil splot...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

However only 90 percent of crude oil is good, the other 10 percent is waste. So where would we dump the waste?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Don't tell me nice try. I'm showing pictures of the WHOLE GULF. Not someones back little tiny play area.

Oh no its the WHOLE GULF. Take a drive up the gulf coast all of it. Enjoy what you will see.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

The gulf doesnt look that nasty. I live in Miami I go fishing on a boat down to the keys all the time. Never had I seen the Gulf look that nasty

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Even if the price of oil dropped and we had gas back at $1.30 a gallon or 2; I am still going to continue to do my share to not pollute and recycle.I am also still going to convert my house to use solar and continue to drive an economical fuel efficient automobile.None of it means squat. We still need to find a better energy plan.I encourage everyone else to continue to do the same in that this is our home and we don't want to live in filth do we?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solo954

The gulf doesnt look that nasty. I live in Miami I go fishing on a boat down to the keys all the time. Never had I seen the Gulf look that nasty

I give you true pictures. Take your boat up to the actual gulf, where all the oil wells are.

Florida has not had these oil wells. This is why Florida is still beautiful and pretty.

Now take your boat to Louisiana and Texas etc.. where the oil drills are and then tell someone its not this nasty.

These are true pictures from just last week. This gulf has been like this for well over 15 years at least cause thats when I first visited there and saw this for myself.

How long before that I do not know.

I said many times now that Florida is still beautiful and should remain this way.

However, put the drills in and this is what you will get!!!

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

reply to post by jtma508

That is true.

IF we had to go find the oil, then build piplines, and drilling platforms, it would take a few years...

But, we have:
Platforms built
Pipelines built
And we know where the oil is

All the hard work is done.. the oil companies just need the permission to drill...

How are the platforms and pipelines already built on land and coatline that has been protected? If your talking about the 68 million acres that the oil companies already have access to, then you point is made, but that raises the question as to why they havent started drilling.
I would like to see some links to support your claims. show me that the oil has already been found on these protected areas, show me that they already have platforms and pipelines on this protected land.

10 years! Ten years to get a drop of oil out of the ground... that is a made up number, and most people bought it, bought it right from the mouth of the Major Media...

People that say it will take 10 years HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Do you realise how long 10 years is??? We fought and WON WWI AND WWII in less then 10 years...
We finnished the Pannama Cannel in less then 10 years
We stated we wanted to go to the MOON, and in less then 10 years we did
The Trans-American Railroad, less then 10 years
The Manhatten Project, less then 10 years

But, we can do all these things? But we couldnt get a drop of oil out of the ground in 10 years... thats just moronic... and morons need to stop saying it... cause if you tell a lie enough times, people will start to belive it...

We could see our first barrel of oil in 2 months if we wanted... instead, our senators, and reps just want to argue, and complain about everything...

We have everything in place to get oil from places like ANWAR... we have pipelines built, platforms built... everything is in place... we just wait for congress to allow American COmpanies to drill...

But then you turn around and agree with jtma508 when he/she explains that it takes a long time to actually see oil from these sites. So you try to say that we have all this infrastructure in place to see oil in 2 months, please provide a link to show that we will see oil in 2 months from drilling offshore and in anwr.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solo954

In and around the Area of the Keys, there is an mixing of the gulf, and the waters from the Atlantic.

The Further up the West Coast of FLorida you go, the Nastier it gets... My familiy was looking for houses ALL over florida, and where every we were on the West coast, the WATER WAS NASTY... very nasty...

So, we bought a house on the East coast, and it WAS very nice...

So... basicly, dont judge ALL of the gulf, because of the nice water in the Keys... even though the Keys are nice...

And im going to level with you here, i love the water, i Love fishing, i love diving on the reefs, and i would be pissed if they got destroyed by big oil... but that isnt going to happen... The oil companies have some of the best enviormental safty records now... they have come A LONG way over the years...

AND, let us not forget, China is Drilling for oil, 90 miles off the coast of Florida ALREADY... so...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Its not even that. I feel like we will be seeing a technological revolution where we will no longer see oil no more. Oil in the future would be worth nothing, like CDs. All these new concept cars that are ready to be released in the next coming 10 years, its almost like Oil should already be obsolete atleast in America within the next 2 years. All im saying is that if technology gets better then alternative fuel should become more spread thru out the country. Can you imagine wars just for oil?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join