It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Two Gays Only Count as One Parent, Therefore they shouldn't be able to adopt':McCain

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   

'Two Gays Only Count as One Parent, Therefore they shouldn't be able to adopt':McCain

rawstory.com

"I think that we've proven that both parents are important in the success of a family so, no, I don't believe in gay adoption," McCain said in reply to a reporter's query.

McCain then remarked that he and his wife, Cindy, were proud to be adoptive parents of a daughter born in Bangladesh, and he encouraged others to adopt. Asked if those adopting should be a "traditional couple," McCain answered, "Yes."

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-7-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Oh Boy...Touchy subject.

Although I won't force my views onto others, speaking from a personal point of view: I feel that if two people live their lives as responsible people and would love to raise a child and provide for him out of pure love, then why deny that child or that couple the right, just because of differences from the "traditional" outlook and acceptance?

Agree? Disagree?

The responses were condemned by gay and lesbian groups.

"He's completely out of touch," said Kara Suffredini, public policy director for the Family Equality Council. "There's no reason, except for the sake of red meat for his base, to throw up screens in the way of children in foster care getting homes."

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I have nothing against someone being gay, but if you can't concieve naturally there must be a reason...and that includes regular male/female relationships too. Plus isn't he TOO OLD to be adopting anyway to tell others to do it?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

look at some people that consieve naturaly and what they do to their Kids

the news is litterd with abuse and torture of Kids

sometimes those who cant consieve are the ones that are best suited to be parents as they are more likely to nurture that child and be more loving.

i have my reservations on same sex marriges and havent been very pro when it comes to this sort of agenda.

but facts speak for them selves

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Oh Boy...Touchy subject.

Although I won't force my views onto others, speaking from a personal point of view: I feel that if two people live their lives as responsible people and would love to raise a child and provide for him out of pure love, then why deny that child or that couple the right, just because of differences from the "traditional" outlook and acceptance?

Agree? Disagree?

I agree, and I think the hole just keeps getting deeper for McCain. What ever happened to skirting the question better? he just lost out on a large base of voters.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
this leads me to the real question of "what is a parent?"
if it's, as i believe, someone who provides a home,love,nourishment both physically and emotionally and does their best to make that child's life better, does it really matter if they are gay or straight?
who is he to say that children without parents can't have them unless said parents are straight? and furthermore what kind of person would espouse this belief? these are the kinds of things we should think about when voting in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
What a colossal clown McCain is. I would rather have a gay as a parnet than a druggie pillhead or an old geezer who seems to have a temper problem. McCain needs to just get with the real world, and the 20th century, and quit being a judgmental buffoon.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I detest McCain, he is a war-mongerer

But I agree with two gays should not be able to adopt, just not the way he said it kinda

There's too many reasons, however if I was president i would disallow it as well.

If gays want to get married find, let them it's THEIR right
that is pro choice

but just like abortion, there's another life involved here so it has nothing to do with pro-choice

I strongly am against gay adoption. The kid should not have to go through that.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
why is that? are you trying to say that being a gay parent "infects" the child with homosexuality? that's clearly a rediculous idea and i'd like to see some facts to back that up. or are you saying that homosexuals can't love children and provide a loving home like heterosexuals? again some fact to back up those opinions would be appreciated.

edit to add: the child shouldn't have to go through what? (sorry didnt' quite see that when i posted) do you mean social stygma of having gay parents? because honestly that stigma only exists because people perpetuate it through ignorance and fear of that which is different.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by optimus primal]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
What a colossal clown McCain is. I would rather have a gay as a parnet than a druggie pillhead or an old geezer who seems to have a temper problem. McCain needs to just get with the real world, and the 20th century, and quit being a judgmental buffoon.

Right on. McCain really shows his age with opinions such as these. "Hi, I'm a grizzled old man who hates fags...vote for me!"

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

so you would rather have a child live in a foster home
or moving from one family to another untill they reach adult hood because someone has decided their fate already?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
@Bodrul- I agree completely with you there. I guess I'm just not a big fan of adoption, it seems like all the agencys are making a profit though off of the childrens unfortunate situations.

At some point, people do need to realize that they can't have everything that they may want in life, and that includes children too. I just choose to keep my beliefs simple, heck if I was "shooting blanks", I wouldn't go try and adopt. It's all luck of the draw.

At the same time though I would not stop gays/straights from adopting, it's not my or the goverments buisness.It doesn't go against the constitution in any way, so wheres the problem? At least thats how I see it.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
John Mccain presents his viewpoints clearly and without "skirting the question".

I respect this, no matter what his viewpoint may be.

CX

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What the hell does it matter if the kid is brought up by two gay parents?

I worked at a school for 7 years looking after kids, many who had suffered all of the abuses you could think of.

Every one of those families had a mum and a dad. Not gay parents.

From what i've seen, gay couples make excellent parents, and give thier kids just as much if not more effort than a "normal" family.

McCain is going to need a bigger shovel if he keeps digging his hole like this.

CX.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Very touchy subject, especially for me. My wife is bi-sexual. I have also studied the homosexual phenomenon in college, and at the turn of the century we were split on gayness. Half of the people who were gay had 'the gay gene' and half did not. This put nature vs nurture at 50:50.

My opinion is that some people have 'the gay gene' and that is what makes them gay. I honestly think the other half are emulating this. I dont think the half that is emulating the gay gene (and yes i realize it isnt necesarrily one gene but its the generic scientific term and so i am using it here) should be allowed to adopt. If there is something that makes you attracted to the same sex in your metaphysical existance beyond 'pure choice' you deserve to be treated as others. If you are being gay as personal choice then you should accept the consequences of that choice.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I don't care if someone is gay or not.Its the human being that should be the factor in adopting.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by forsakenwayfarer

Okay, but common sense dictates if you want to be the president, you give some purple prose or something, something to not piss-off certain people. McCain has little awareness of this, obviously.

link   
I think the whole idea of gay adoptions is rather selfish. Imagine the ridicule and harrassment the kid would have to deal with at school on a daily basis. Maybe the two parents are mature enough to deal with the rejection and cruel comments, but why subject an innocent child to that kind of abuse? We all know that kids can be extremely cruel to those who are different or not part of the clique.

Before you go flaming me, First think how would you have felt if you had that type of living arrangement as a child? Remember just how cruel little kids really can be because you're short, fat, don't have nice clothes, etc..

[edit on 7/15/08 by LLoyd45]

link   
Gays shouldn't adopt? I agree. If their relationships are as volitile as us straights. A child should be brought up in a relationship where the parents are committed to each other and the family. Be it gay or straight.

Btw, doesn't Cheney have a gay daughter that he totally supports? I'd watch out if I was McCain. Don't piss off the Master.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
More filth from the five year head kicked McCain. He is nuttier than a fruitcake.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join