It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran: Talks with US possible soon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Allowing anyone to carry out an attack on an embassy while the host nation does nothing is an act of war. And that situation is far from resolved. Relations between both nations has been damn near nonexistant since the crisis.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Okay, seriously go back and read the excerpt on the last page, about the history of that event. It was due to the US attempting to install a dictatorship in Iran.

And that government is LONG gone. The Iranians saw to that.

Why go in and fight what the Iranians have already removed?

1979 was a long time ago. That government is gone now, and you want to go in and attack them for what? Removing the government you had a problem with?

Revolutions over man.

The Iranians have installed a democratically elected government since then.

You're going to go in and remove a government that had nothing to do with that incident? And install what, another dictatorship so it can happen all over again?

[edit on 15-7-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

1979 was a long time ago. That government is gone now, and you want to go in and attack them for what? Removing the government you had a problem with?

Revolutions over man.

That government may be gone but that event still effects the relationship between the two countries. Especially when the hostages have said that Iran's president was one of the hostage takers.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Unkle Greggo

Granted relations haven't recovered since the incident.

... but the proposed option on the table at the moment seems to be a pre-emptive invasion of Iran.

That's hardly relation building.
That's just starting the mess all over again.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Last i looked Iranians can't democraticaly vote the Govt out because the democraticaly voted in Govt won't let them.And i think there a little bit nastier then the shah don't think they don't lots of blood on there hands.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

He added that in the next months "certain things will happen" and insisted that no power in the world could afford to ignore Iran.

I put my money on this being a nuclear test.

Iran wont start a war, and the only other thing to place them front and centre is a display.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Iran wanting to talk is nothing but a tactic to delay. This is a common strategy perfected by the North Koreans. The EU has been 'talking' to Iran for about 5 years now and nothing has come from it except for more UN sanctions.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Agree with some that Iran's government is near perfect in its cat-and-mouse baiting game, however this is the first hint of any possible favorable outcome that DOESN"T involve us all BLOWING the # out of EACH OTHER that I've read in a looooong time.

Y'know...... sometimes I think Lewis Black and I were separated at birth. I even have the sneer right now.

Good news, I hope. Let it be so. Selah.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
were those before or after Iran
said if the US or Israel launched an attack on them

Iran threatens the U.S. and Israel all the time without the stipulation of having to be attacked first.

Here is one:
Iran threatens U.S. with 'harm and pain'
"Iran threatened the United States with "harm and pain" Wednesday if the U.S. tries to use the U.N. Security Council" -- So now we cannot even use the UN security council according to Iran.

Iran threatens use of 'smart' bomb
"We will use these (bombs) against our enemies when the time comes, Defense Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar said on state television Sunday."

Iran threatens U.S. with pre-emptive strike
See, it goes both ways.

These are just a few related to the U.S. but there are a lot more threats towards Israel.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

I believe it, see Iran is waiting for a change in regime in the US to see some light at the end of the warmongering tunnel called the Bush administration.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by bodrul

I believe it, see Iran is waiting for a change in regime in the US to see some light at the end of the warmongering tunnel called the Bush administration.

Yes, Iran is a nation of fluffy kittens and rainbows.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Unkle Greggo

I don't know but please post here any links to Iran attacks to any country around the world lately and the invasion of such country.

I bet I can name two that the warmongering bush administration has attacked and invaded already in this century.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
You guys just dont get it. You have several on this thread that ALWAYS defend Iran stating they think the veiled threat is indeed a nuke test or the like, aaaand your all ok with this? After all the talk of they are just peaceful and just want energy crap? Now its ok they lied and that doesnt matter because they have the right anyways. 2 Wrongs make a right I suppose is your motto.

I hate to say it, but if you dont think Israel/US both dont know exactly what and when Iran is doing, your not using your brains. If this is indeed whats going on you can expect shock and awes big brother to make an appearance soon.

They are trying to play the hand that all rogue nations play of I have something I shouldnt and if you want it from me give me a cookie first. I hope more than anything the days of giving ANYTHING to a nation that behaves badly and then is forced to do the right thing are over. You do the right thing because well its right, you dont throw a fit, hold anything hostage and then get a reward for taking it all back.

Any chance at peace is totally relying on Iran doing the right thing and quick before they regret it bigtime. Seems a shame to work hard to get your country up the ladder a bit tryin to throw the whole 3rd world country stigma off and get blown right back to it for making bad decisions.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I don't know but please post here any links to Iran attacks to any country around the world lately and the invasion of such country.

Well, there was the Iraq/Iran war.
Then we have all the terrorists groups Iran supports by providing arms, money and men like the one's killing U.S. soldiers & allied forces in Iraq.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Protect Israel and steal the oil- that is the aim of the US. Any other speculation is just a diversionary tactic. Sure the US will talk, while secretly invading. Send the diplomats over at the taxpayers expense just as buzywork. We know the real plan and it also comes out of our pocket.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthman4
Protect Israel and steal the oil- that is the aim of the US. Any other speculation is just a diversionary tactic. Sure the US will talk, while secretly invading. Send the diplomats over at the taxpayers expense just as buzywork. We know the real plan and it also comes out of our pocket.

So I suppose we should sever ties with an ally. And what message does that send to other allies? Have you ever considered that it's that these nations have a valuable resource is why they attempt the bold gestures that leads to conflict?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Iraq invaded iran with the blessing of the USA

The two nations severed diplomatic relations in June 1980, and sporadic border clashes increased. On September 17, in a statement addressed to the Iraqi parliament, Saddam Hussein stated that "The frequent and blatant Iranian violations of Iraqi sovereignty...have rendered the 1975 Algiers Agreement null and void... This river...must have its Iraqi-Arab identity restored as it was throughout history in name and in reality with all the disposal rights emanating from full sovereignty over the river." Iraq launched a full-scale invasion of Iran on September 22, 1980. Iraq's pretext was an alleged assassination attempt on Foreign Minister Tariq Aziz in southern Iraq, which Saddam Hussein blamed on "Iranian agents", in one of his speeches.

and even when iraq used chemical weapons against them:

Source

www.commondreams.org...

www.thestar.co.za...

they didn`t reply in kind;

and i know its wiki but theres alot of citations actually:

en.wikipedia.org...

including the infamous rumsfeld picture with Hussein;

so you see - even the Iraq - Iran war , iran didn`t invade.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
What really stood out to me about this is that for years, Bush has been saying that there's no way he would talk with Iran. He accused Obama of wanting to negotiate with the enemy... remember him saying that Obama was "appeasing the terrorists"? Does anyone remember that?

President Bush said that Sen. Barack Obama and Democrats favor a policy of appeasement toward terrorists.
"We have an obligation to call this what it is – the false comfort of appeasement, which has been repeatedly discredited by history.”
White House aides are acknowledging that this was a reference to the fact that Sen. Obama and other Democrats have publicly said that it would be ok for the U.S. President to meet with leaders like the Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad.

Source

And now he's COMPLETELY changed his mind on that? LOL

I'm actually glad to see that McCain and Bush are following Obama's suggestions as regards Afghanistan and Iran. They should have been listening to him all along. Interestingly, Bush is talking about getting troops out of Iraq, too. Another Obama position. LOL

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
so you see - even the Iraq - Iran war , iran didn`t invade.

Sorry, but that is debatable.
There were lots of border skirmishes leading up to the full blown war. I'll see if I can find the links.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
And now he's COMPLETELY changed his mind on that?

Not really. You are exaggerating this just a tad. However, let me say I think it's a mistake regarding sending someone to Iran to sit at the talks.

BUT....this is not really negotiations nor is it what Obama wants to do. Obama wanted direct talks with Iran, ie Obama and Ahmed sitting at a table or other high end officials tallking directly.

This low level guy being sent over there will not be negotiating anything. He is only going to listen, plus this is a one time deal. Another point is we really don't know the real reason for sending this guy. Perhaps he is going to tell Iran to go screw themselves.

Anyway, I don't like but he is not going to negotiate nor is this what Obama was talking about.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join