It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So called 'Respected Foes'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOpsychiczebra
I don't care if you show me respect or not. In fact I have no interest in debating the nature of respect with you or anyone else. If you read my OP you will see what this thread is actually about. Not your personal crusade for the lack of respect you feel you get from whoever. Why are you going on about this? Don't take it so personally. Chill out.

LOL you just don't get it do you? Your anger gives you away. I'm not taking anything personally, this isn't about me, it's about you bud.
When your 'only respect those that earn it' policy is turned on you, you get angry. I'm not the one that isn't chilled lol.

I have no personal crusade, respect is just common decency.
The attitude that someone shouldn't be respected until they earn it leads to bigotry, and yes racism. Respecting other Humans for what they do for you, instead of for what they are (a human being) is what leads to bigotry.

I don't care if you respect me either, not my point, it's your loss not mine. Maybe when you've had a little more life experience you'll see my point, maybe...

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Pretending you know what I posted isn't the same as you actually reading my posts. You clearly haven't read what I posted. Forget it, go and get some fresh air away from your computer.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I will add people to my friends list when I think they make good posts and threads. I never know if someone clicks me back or not, but Im not here to facebook or anything, just to read interesting things. It's easier to click on someone from your friends list and then see what new posts and threads they have made recently then to use the favorite button.
Misclicked and unclicked a couple ''foes''.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I don't think I've added anyone as a foe. I have two people who've added me as a foe, one who added me because she disagreed with my belief that I don't deserve to have smoke blown in my face when I'm eating, and the other who added me because he respected the arguments I made against him in a thread about god knows what now, though I've now seen him make a lot of posts I agree with.

I haven't added anyone as a foe because, IMHO, if you can make a real honest to god foe on the Interwebz (respected or not,) where you'll never know anything more about a person than what you just happen to read at ATS... well, congratulations on being weird.

If you disagree with me about something, it's not going to affect me enough to make me consider you a foe. Which means I'll continue being the guy with a funny nickname and no avatar who takes everything with a grain of salt and a truckload of sarcasm. If you want, you can make a list for that and put me on it. :-)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
If I don't like someone enough to put them on a 'foes' list then I certainly don't respect them. Therefore - my 'respected foes' list is empty. Foes.. yes. Respected .. no.

Empty list.

This.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Sounds like you have an anger management issue.

People can be on opposite sides of an issue, foes and still get along.

Debate is the lifeblood of this board. Who wants to read a bunch of people agreeing about everything. Can't learn anything that way.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Does anyone use it for people they genuinely respect?

oddly enough i do. i have one person on it.

ANOK is the only one on my foes list because i have a lot of respect for him but im not sure we've ever agreed on anything. ever. but that doesnt mean i cant respect him and the strength of his convictions.

if there were other members who i respected but NEVER agreed with i might put them on my foes list also.

if i find myself in a position where i continually disagree with a member who consistantly rubs me the wrong way, i simply dont acknowlege them.

simple enough for me.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
It's funny that quite a few replies have said they think having friends lists is 'silly' and 'immature'.

Surely one reason for having someone on your friends list is to make it easy to keep up with the discussions of those people whom you respect and enjoy their debate and discussion.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

In point of fact I do. DonWhite. We never ever agree on anything...yet we manage inspite of that to have very civil conversations on topics that can lead to hard feelings. I most definitely respect him, and he's a foe. So there you go.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by UFOpsychiczebra

I have to say that "scum of the earth" is a tad harsh.
Without actually meeting the person, how can you form such a strong opinion?

It is their internet persona/ego you are referring to, they may actually be a saint in "real life".

I have argued/debated with a few people on here, and generally u2u'd them after to say i enjoyed said debate.
I may get heated but never let it show or boil over with the kind of hatred or anger that you have shown.

I think you should just ignore those who wind you up so much, and concentrate on people/posts that you agree with or are interested in.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Blup

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Such members as the one i'm guessing you're talking about are actually here to cause a stir and negative feelings. You can see that just by looking at their username.

If you feel there is absolutely nothing at all you can learn from them, better press on ignore, you'll do yourself a favour and you won't give them the satisfaction. I did just that. I dont mind people having a different oppinion than mine, but if i find something really disturbing, i don't wanna have to deal with that over and over again.

Peace

top topics

<< 1   >>

join