It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's with Mormons Baptizing The Non Mormon Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
This is disturbing. Apparently they have millions of dead people on file, and
baptise them with a mormon member standing in for the dead person to receive the baptism. The jews have actually taken it to courtHere .

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Of all the strange things they do this is probably the most innocuous in my opinion. That and their holy underwear, perhaps.

I'm tired of the pimply-faced "elders" on my doorstep and their ridiculous liquor laws (legislated by the Mormon majority in our house and senate) that force me to buy booze from the state at exorbitant prices due to their "sin taxes" imposed upon us "Gentiles."

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
If it is a meaningless & ineffectual ritual, whats the harm?

I am reminded of what the wise man Gamaliel said regarding the activities of the Fisrst Century Christians:

(Acts 5:38-40) 38 And so, under the present circumstances, I say to YOU, Do not meddle with these men, but let them alone; (because, if this scheme or this work is from men, it will be overthrown; 39 but if it is from God, YOU will not be able to overthrow them
otherwise, YOU may perhaps be found fighters actually against God.”

Who cares what they do? There actions of baptizing the dead have no discernable effect on anyone living or dead.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Once I am dead, I don't care if even the clown college comes and baptizes me.
What does it matter? I'm still dead, and its not going to change my soul wherever it is.

Ama

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

If I'm dead, I'm not going to care what happens to my body, but my family will. I don't think I would want anyone doing anything to my dead relatives, let alone baptizing them.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
It's a disrespect to the living and the dead. They have no buisness doing this. It's very much tied to your spiritual beliefs as to weather or not it bothers you.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
If it is a meaningless & ineffectual ritual, whats the harm?

I agree that it's meaningless and ineffectual. However, I understand the distress that the families have. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable if some satanist put a 'curse' on me or my dead relatives - no matter how meaningless and ineffectual it was.

It would just make me uncomfortable.

I understand where they are coming from.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The Mormon's believe there is an after life. They also believe that the unbaptized deserve a chance to be baptized. They also believe that the spirits in heaven have a choice to accept or decline the baptism.

It's just another way to honor the dead, and another way to view the natural ways of death.

there are a lot of things that other religions and sects do that I do not understand. However I do understand ritual and it's psychological benefits. Getting bent out of shape about it only hurts the person who is bent.

I don't understand why so many fear the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

[edit on 7/15/2008 by eye open doors]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Yes I tend to agree with everything eye_open_doors says. Not unlike my family (who are Christians of another brand) fought over where my dad was gonna be buried, he didn't care, he was dead.

If you are don't believe what the Mormons teach then it makes no difference what they do. If you b eleive in something else then it is your belief that will prevail. The whole jewish court thing was done for a reason, and Mormons no longer baptize the jewish dead because they have been told not to.

But for those that are interest here are the verse's in the King James Version Bible on which they baptized the dead because. If you have a King James Bible, not a NIV, or a whatever bible you will see this in your bible as well, read what follows:

1 Cor 15:29 "Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead? "
and

1 Peter 3:19 "By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;"

In the book of Mormon:

Alma 40:11-12 says: 11 Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.
12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of cpeace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.

These two verses refer to what is called spirit prision which is what is being referred to in the 1Peter verse.

I see it this way, unless you are will to read the Book of Mormon, you shouldn't judge it. This is a classic case of the saying, 'don't judge a book by it's cover'. It wasn't until I read it that I understood it. At first is just seemed odd, but then I felt it.
Once I read the Doctrine and Coventants, another Mormon book it all fell together a became clear.

But trust me with this, that what they practice is as sound as any Christians belief and practices. They do not take God lightly.
Every single religous group has other books they read from and quote from, they have people of today they hold up high.

But if you really want to learn more listen to the interview I did today and lets go from there.
Here's the links...
The Mormon Interviews-A Pearl of Great Price
Part One
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Part Two
Part Three

Have more questions, just let me know on one of the pod posts...

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Zaimless]

top topics

join