It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans concede: Lifting Moratorium = Pointless

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7

We have the land, we have the permits, we just won't do it! Explain that one to me.

I think I can. In many cases, those permits are just to drill, not to extract. That is, they can look for oil, but they are not allowed to bring it up out of the ground. That requires a seperate permit. And it can take years to even get a permit for extraction, so long as to be prohibitive. For example, Shell (I believe) was awarded a contract to drill in the Gulf in 1984; in this particular area they drilled and found oil at least on three seperate occasions. In the early 1990s, they applied for a permit to extract. It took the government over a decade to make a decision: the permit was denied.

My apologies if someone has already brought up this point.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   

But that doesnt offer any help now. And people want help now. And this is the best Bush can offer? After 7 years, he can offer THIS?

Simply lifting the moratorium made the price of oil drop.

www.onenewsnow.com...

NEW YORK - Oil prices fell harder than they have in 17 years Tuesday, as fears that record fuel prices are spreading broad economic pain led to the third big sell-off in just over a week.

You think its just a coincidence that it happened the day after the moratorium is lifted?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Is a scam, and election psychological game, to boost the public opinion toward Republicans and to help McCain.

Now we know who truly is holding our oil prices hostage.

listen, pay attention and learn the ugly realties of how devious, liars and dirty our political leaders are.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
You think its just a coincidence that it happened the day after the moratorium is lifted?

Not a coinididence...... by design.

I agree.....it's a Psyche scam......oil will be up over $150 before you know it. Lindsey Williams video is correct.....The oil price is dictated by
the banks.

The credit industry hasn't fallen yet.....When that shoe drops, the dollar drops more, oil goes thru the roof. Plus there is a lag between the price per barrel and price per gas.

www.zealllc.com...

Look at the ratios on the last chart........(Thanks Rikriley)

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Pinktip]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Is a scam, and election psychological game, to boost the public opinion toward Republicans and to help McCain.

Now we know who truly is holding our oil prices hostage.

listen, pay attention and learn the ugly realties of how devious, liars and dirty our political leaders are.

Democrats want to do nothing and HOPE on some magical new, cost effective energy source to appear and this guy blames Republicans. Riiiight.

Its also democrats who often imply that the rising costs are part of the plan to force people in to these unfordable technologies. On top of that its democrats who are in control of congress and yet they still blame Republicans.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Obama, Pelosi and Reid's 68 Million Acre Joke

politicallydrunk.blogspot.com...

18 months ago they ran on a platform that promised us increased energy independence and lower energy costs. In 18 months they have done nothing, proposed no legislation designed to lower energy costs or offset global oil production that peaked in 2005, and now are blocking legislation that will not solve our problems, but will set us on the right path. What is occurring in Washington today is what happens when our elected officials become more focused on obtaining power than doing the job they were elected to complete.

Click Here to Participate in the Drill Now Email Initiative.

[edit on 103131p://bWednesday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7

We have the land, we have the permits, we just won't do it! Explain that one to me.

We also have alternatives, remember the electric car? Have you seen the movie "What happened to the electric car".

Seriously you are just spouting crap you see on tv and do no research.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Cowgirlstraitup7]

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Cowgirlstraitup7]

Okay how's this for research to explain why there isn't drilling on the land already approved for exploration:

For starters - YOU are believing the crap fed to you by the liberal media and have done NO work of your own to back it up, Cowgirl.

The Democrats in office - IE Pelosi, Harry Reid, and others - have repeatedly changed the numbers on just how much land is available for drilling.

First they said it was 58 million acres. This if from 6/20/2008. Oh and notice the last sentence in particular.

On that map they showed all the places people and companies can drill right now, some 58 million acres. That is a lot of acres, 58 million acres. But they are not drilling there. They have made a decision not to drill. Not because there is no oil there, they have made a business judgment not to drill.

Source: www.c-spanarchives.org.../77531&id=8590868

A month later, they changed it to 68 million acres.

FACT: OIL COMPANIES ARE NOT DRILLING IN AREAS CURRENTLY UNDER LEASE

There Are 68 Million Acres of Leased Federal Lands That Are NOT Producing Oil.

Source: democrats.senate.gov...

Oh wait, they aren't done! Now it's 100 million acres!

Pelosi and other Democratic leaders also unveiled another series of proposals to deal with the energy and gas price crisis, and renewed their calls for immediate drilling on nearly 100 million domestic acres already approved for exploration. They also called for Bush to release oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

thehill.com...

Notice that last sentence - I'll get to that a bit later.

So however many acres it is that the oil companies have, why won't they drill there? You say "they just won't!" but the real answer makes more sense.

These acres they have aren't the best acres for drilling. Some are barren, meaning they don't have oil and gas beneath them. Some of the land has already been tested and has come up empty or light or too difficult to get to - remember you have to build an infrastructure.

These oil companies need to make sure there is oil and enough of it there to make the investment worth it. They are businesses, after all.

There's another reason drilling can't happen, something Pelosi and Reid won't tell you, according to Mark Levin who is an AM radio talk show host and a litigator for a conservative group. He says the liberal left has left standing a number of lawsuits that block the progression of oil drilling.

One of them is the Polar Bear Case in Alaska. www.climateark.org...

Others include lawsuits on the refineries in Louisiana and lawsuits on coal burning electric plants.

Makes perfect sense when put into that context.

Oh and one more thing that I mentioned earlier - remember the last line from that last excerpt?

They also called for Bush to release oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

Pelosi called for the release of 10% of the oil in the National Reserve.

Now answer me this - why is it when John McCain proposed the federal gas tax holiday that he was chastized particularly by Democrats because the proposal was nothing but a temporary fix and Pelosi isn't being chastized for suggesting something equally if not more temporary? How far do you think the release of 10% of the federal reserve is going to go? The answer is not far at all.

So there you have it, Cowgirl. There's the research you asked for. Hope you take the time read it and understand it and realize that the Conservatives aren't the cause of the gas and oil crisis in this country and neither is Bush, no matter how much you desperately want to hate him and blame him for everything. Congress is dead set on blocking every move the conservatives make because it furthers their agenda. How is that good for the people of America?

[edit on 16-7-2008 by sos37]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I am going to tag this thread because I am planning to come back to it to bring it up when things start to get ugly after the elections.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

61 Million acres are already leased, but that does not mean that there is oil on all of it, or that it is economically feasible to retreive it.

what do you all think would happen if they were forced to get that oil first?

Higher prices..... Think about it.......

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

This folks is an example of a well thought out, thoroughly researched post full of facts and accurate information!!!!

If this was in Political Ideologies, I would "applaud you!!!!!!!!!

Excellent job, keep up the good work...

Semper

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Once again, Somebody is selling 100 acres and you buy 1 of these acres. You find gold on this acre. What would you do? Would you buy the other 99 acres hopingthey contain gold too or would you let somebody else buy the 99 acres and possibly strike it rich? I would buy the other 99 acres because of the possibility that they mightcontain gold. Call it greed but it is reality. Oil companies do the same. They lease in blocks to keep the competition out just in case there is oil in the surrounding area. That doesn't mean that all the land they lease has oil on it. It is merely a method they use to protect their financial investment.

Way to go sos37. Good points. We need more drilling and everything else to get OPEC out of our life.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by jam321]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Your are mentally ill if you don't think we should do every thing we can to help the good American people out,drilling,solar,bio,hydrogen,wind,wave,nuclear.If we had a good government it would drop the politics and would have done all this years ago

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Good points.

Also, I'm sure the oilcos would agree to swap some of that unprofitable acreage for some acreage offshore or in ANWR.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by jsobecky]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
OK quick question - From an independents perspective.

Why not drill? Could it raise the price of gas? I think not. Could it lower the price of gas? Maybe. I think that it makes sense to drill our own oil. Countries like Germany, France, and Spain are building refineries, and exploring their coast lines. Why does it not make sense for the US to do the same?

I understand that everyone has to tote their political line and all, but being removed form the politics of it allows us to make logical and not emotional decisions.

Read the questions below - and ask yourselves - Could it lower the cost of gas? Could it cause the price of gas to increase?

Why not develop alternative energy technologies?

Why not build refineries?

Why not build Nuclear Power plants?

Why not lower the tax portion of the price of gas to what they were making when gas was $1.19?

Why not research coal to oil options?

Why not research extracting oil from shale?

I think if you look at each of those questions - simply motivated to reduce the price of gas - then the answers are simple. Our logic becomes clouded when other factors and political propaganda are introduced. The one thing I do agree with the dems on is that - adjusting to strife is what makes this country great - and if prices go up or stay the same - it will force our country to take that next step to leading the world in a new direction. Invention is fueled by necessity and right now we need energy.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by l0ngsh0t]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

oh dear god way to leave word out to make this fit your argument, he said it won't produce a barrell of oil "tomorrow" meaning that if we started today we wouldn't have oil tomorrow. OF COURSE WE WOULDN'T drilling takes time

please stop being so biased in your posts, try to read then entire quote, and using the entire quote if you are going to use it for your arguments. don't put spin on it, otherwise you are no more trustworthy than Fox

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

You are so right! To the naysaysers out there, every job created creates about between 3 and 8 other jobs. And not all of these jobs will be in the areas where the drilling is taking place. It will have a positive effect on the entire country.
Whether you agree with Congress or not, if you don't write, call, or email them, then how in the H*** can they know what you think, or want. I have written my senators, my represenative, and the speaker of the house, informing them what I think about our current energy policy and what I feel needs to be done, short term, intermediate term and long term, to bring us to energy independence.
If all you are going to do is complain, without attempting action then you just wasting everybody's time!

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SRTkid86

Wow. A few interesting points

1.) I can't believe this thread is still being argued

2.) You obviously didnt read my OP. I put the "tomorrow" in there. If you had read further, you would see that i am saying im not against drilling, but im against using this moratorium to blame democrats

they are saying "gas prices are high, lift the moratorium!!! ITS DEMOCRATS FAULT"

then, Bush says "it wont do squat for a long time" (my words)

And then people like you come in here thinking you're all high and mighty

Please.

Learn to read the entire thing yourself, next time, before you let your fingers fly.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
61 million, errr 68 million, uhhmm 100 million, yeah that's the ticket, 100 million acres not being drilled on. (Some old SNL comedy there!)

That is nothing compared to the 1.1 BILLION acres that we are not allowed to drill on.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join