It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents Should Limit Young Children's Exposure To Background TV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Parents Should Limit Young Children's Exposure To Background TV

www.sciencedaily.com

"Background TV, as an ever-changing audiovisual distractor, disrupts children's efforts to sustain attention to ongoing play behaviors," according to Marie Evans Schmidt, who is now a research associate at the Center on Media and Child Health at Children's Hospital Boston and is the lead author of the study. "Background TV is potentially a chronic environmental risk factor affecting most American children. Parents should limit their young children's exposure to background television."

The study was funded by the National Science Foundation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Of course, this could feed into a number or ongoing CTs regarding the possibility of an effort to 'dumb down' the media-dependent.

Either way, anything that leads to people turning off their TV sets is a plus in my book.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
IMHO, there is only one place for a TV. The bin.

Something's not quite right with it. Besides it being used to manipulate people's emotions, I find even a TV on in another room irritating. Turn it off, and suddenly, I feel peace.

My wife watches it a fair bit, and I've noticed that after about 3 hours of watching it, she becomes tired and irritated, while at the same time laughing at the "comedy" it presents.

join