It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Predicting the Future with Stichomancy? Please Try It And Report Back.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
You can get a free Stichomancy reading in a couple of places on the web. Here is an interesting site worth exploring:

www.facade.com...

Stichomancy is one of the oldest forms of divination (at least 3000 years old in fact), in which the querant opens to a random page of randomly selected book in a library, to find an excerpt that applies to the situation at hand.

I think this stuff is about as mysterious a form of divination as there is. And I think it is extremely uncanny, because it taps into your mind and into fate (or random chance) in a most amazing way.

Most of all, I find it amazing how many times I try this, and find it is 100% accurate. Something is working here -- at some hidden and highly demonstratable level. I'd be interesting in hearing if anyone has success with this. It is as eerie as anything I've ever experienced.

I did a search -- this topic has hardly ever been discussed here at ATS. I'm interested in what success you many have with this, or what you think.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I see one fundamental flaw here. This stichomancy reading thingy is a _javascript program...similar to a game. Which means it has to be referencing a database of preprogrammed answers....unless of course they've crafted the first artificial intelligence known to man that can think for itself and give each person a unique answer.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I used to do that trick to show people how easy it is to interpret anything as being an answer to a particular question.

I was shocked by how accurate it was myself, to tell the truth!

I thought I was being funny, but I always wound up with a true believer on my hands, and felt like I needed to stop doing that. I had no idea it had a name.

All you need is a book, how can that be the same as some web page?
Answer: It can't, you are advocating webomancy or something.

Interesting thread, maybe a dangerous subject, I once played a hand of blackjack with the dealer of fate for my life and drew a 21.
I got to start breathing again, I gave card counting up that night! The lightening display went on for hours.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter
I see one fundamental flaw here. This stichomancy reading thingy is a _javascript program...similar to a game.

Yes, it is a game of chance. To me it seems similar to I-Ching or Tarot, except YOU are the one making up the rules as to what something means.

The point of stichomancy is that you pull a totally random passage out of some text (say -- an ATS post, or in this case some sort of database of text) and try to figure out how that passage applies to your question, or to your life in general.

The reason I like this technique is that the text you select is totally at the hands of fate -- you have been brought to a particular moment in time, holding a particular book, reading a particular phrase. Yes it is pure chance. But why do things happen the way they do?

The second reason I like this technique is that YOU are the one answering the question. Why did you give that answer? It deals with two utter mysterious at the same time: the mystery of fate, and the mystery of human consciousness.

However, your point is well taken. I'm not sure if I want to trust any answers generated purely by Javascript. Not answers to any significant questions, anyway.

You can practice stichomancy with any book -- like the Bible for example -- you don't need the website I referred to.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I do find this idea interesting though. Thanks for pointing it out.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian
I used to do that trick to show people how easy it is to interpret anything as being an answer to a particular question. I was shocked by how accurate it was myself, to tell the truth!

Just a thought here Cyberbian -- maybe you aren't giving yourself enough credit for latent psychic abilities. Maybe you aren't willing to admit that you actually have certain perceptiveness. You dismiss it within yourself because it might have a dark nature? (I don't blame you for that!)

One thing that is obvious from your above post: YOU were the one making the interpretation. And the questions were being answered, one way or another.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

We came upon a sight that brought us all up standing. We had been passing through a little heavier timber than was usual to this part of the country, when we suddenly emerged into an open space in the center of which was such a band as might have caused the most courageous to pause. It consisted of upward of five hundred individuals representing several species closely allied to man. There were anthropoid apes and gorillas--these I had no difficulty in recognizing; but there were other forms which I had never before seen, and I was hard put to it to say whether they were ape or man. Some of them resembled the corpse we had found upon the narrow beach.

The above passage was picked at random (according to the website) from the book "The Land That Time Forgot", by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

What was my question? Guess. I will post it below after you've thought about it for a second....

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

The question that I posted, which is supposedly answered by that random passage and the laws of stichomancy, was as follows:

"What is the fate of the USA?"

It gives you something to ponder. Yes, it is definitely open to many interpretations, but these interpretations are all yours to make. Of course we are projecting our own ideas onto the passage, but someone will undoubtedly tap into the correct answer. (Well, perhaps.)

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
umm...
kay.
no clue how to interpret the last one which makes this somewhat worthless buuuut

The first excerpt represents the past or something you must release, and is drawn from The Mad King by Edgar Rice Burroughs:
of herself to be frightened like a little child by ghostly noises?

She tried to return to her reading, but for the life of her she could not keep her eyes off the silent, painted woman who stared and stared and stared in cold, threatening si- lence upon this ancient enemy of her house.

Presently the girl's eyes went wide in horror. She could feel the scalp upon her head contract with fright. Her terror- filled gaze was frozen upon that awful figure that loomed so large and sinister above her, for the thing had moved! She had seen it with her own eyes. There could be no mistake-- no hallucination of overwrought nerves about it. The Blentz

The second excerpt represents the present or the deciding factor of the moment, and is drawn from Westward Ho! by Charles Kingsley:
rivers? This might be the nucleus of a great commercial settlement--

And yet, was even that worth while? To settle here only to torment his soul with fresh schemes, fresh ambitions; not to rest, but only to change one labor for another? Was not your dreamer right? Did they not all need rest? What if they each sat down among the flowers, beside an Indian bride? They might live like Christians, while they lived like the birds of heaven.--

What a dead silence! He looked up and round; the birds had ceased to chirp; the parroquets were hiding behind the leaves; the monkeys were clustered motionless upon the highest twigs; only out of the

The third excerpt represents the future or something you must embrace, and is drawn from On Horsemanship by Xenophon:
of the mouth, in first one, and then the other half of the exercise.[18] But of the two we commend the oval form of the volte rather than the circular; for the horse, being already sated with the straight course, will be all the more ready to turn, and will be practised at once in the straight course and in wheeling. At the curve, he should be held up,[19] because it is neither easy nor indeed safe when the horse is at full speed to turn sharp, especially if the ground is broken[20] or slippery.

[17] [pede], figure of eight.

[18] Or, "on first one and then the other half of the manege."

[19] [upolambanein]. See "Hipparch," iii. 14; "Hunting," iii. 10; vi.

question? (oh i hope this edit thingie makes the question small)(haha nope, whats that font size thing for if it doesnt change my font's size
)
i asked if my boyfriend would call me tomorrow

[edit on 15-7-2008 by BiohazardsBack]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by BiohazardsBack

Interesting Bio. This is not for me to say, but for you (since you asked the question and received this custom answer, crafted by FATE.) It is presumptuous of me to comment, but I am going to do just that.

If was me asking the question, and receiving this answer, I would say that the final prognosis is that your boyfriend is highly conflicted about whether to call you or not. He wants to call -- but finds the ground "slippery", and he wants to go the "straight course" rather than in a circular pattern.

You should call him if he doesn't call you. Why not? You are the rider here, and he is the horse. The first and second paragraphs indicate that you want to call him. You are the one exerting control in this situation. Go ahead. But be careful not to be thrown off!

That is my opinion as to what this means. I have no idea, of course. My opinion on this is not as good as your opinion, but I thought you might want an independent perspective.

Edit: I forgot to ask. What do YOU think? And am I EVEN CLOSE?

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division

Originally posted by Cyberbian
I used to do that trick to show people how easy it is to interpret anything as being an answer to a particular question. I was shocked by how accurate it was myself, to tell the truth!

Just a thought here Cyberbian -- maybe you aren't giving yourself enough credit for latent psychic abilities. Maybe you aren't willing to admit that you actually have certain perceptiveness. You dismiss it within yourself because it might have a dark nature? (I don't blame you for that!)

One thing that is obvious from your above post: YOU were the one making the interpretation. And the questions were being answered, one way or another.

You take me for a non-believer, and I guess I am: I Know! I am not much into "believing". I want to believe, but I take some convincing.
Like you said I don't know what my talents are, but I have seen an awful lot of different ones at work. Things I have never heard of.

Have you ever heard of someone looking at someones face and seeing the face of every incarnation of that person flash by like some kind of slide show? Happened once.

Ever had conversations with a group of people where every other sentence is not spoken? Been there done that a number of times.
I could go on for hours.

Whatever resulted in the "hits" poking a finger into a random book at a random page and paragraph, it wan't me. I have had others do the poking, and the interpretation was frequently not open to interpretation.

Try it, ask a question, grab the first book you happen to come across, open to a random page without looking and poke your finger to a paragraph and read the answer. Forget the software this joker is promoting.

I know something was going on. But like I said about that hand of blackjack. I don't like to mess with the dealer of chance too much anymore. She plays rough! Breathe man, just breath!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I tried this after reading it in a divination book a few years back... but I was under the impression that a bible had to be used?

I will try this tommorrow and post my results, using a random book, seeing as I have no bible

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Here is my answer to "Do ETs exist"?

Do ETs exist
The excerpt represents the core issue or deciding factor on which you must meditate, and is drawn from La Grande Breteche by Honore de Balzac:
" 'I know that Gorenflot wants to marry you, that poverty alone prevents your setting up house, and that you told him you would not be his wife till he found means to become a master mason.--Well, go and fetch him; tell him to come here with his trowel and tools. Contrive to wake no one in his house but himself. His reward will be beyond your wishes. Above all, go out without saying a word--or else!' and he frowned.

"Rosalie was going, and he called her back. 'Here, take my latch-key,' said he.

" 'Jean!' Monsieur de Merret called in a voice of thunder down the passage. Jean, who was both coachman and confidential servant, left

I cant go out and tell you what it means I guess. I know what it means now and indeed have a new respect for freemasons and their way.

[edit on 7/15/2008 by prometheus1111]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

Extrordinary !!!
Your question somewhat fits into my question. Perhaps we are all connected and there is no such thing as independence, only interdependence. Very exciting stuff

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
MY question: What is the Truth About Iraq?

"Words! Words only," says Sir John. "Master Collins is somewhat of a liar at best."

He carried it so gravely that, for the moment, I thought he was dipped in this secret traffick too, and that there was not an honest ironmaster in Sussex.

"Name o' Reason!" says Sebastian, and raps with his cow-tail on the table, "whose guns are they, then?"

"Yours, manifestly," says Sir John. "You come with the King's Order for 'em, and Master Collins casts them in his foundry.

My reading: Master Collins is Iraq (making weapons in the foundry.) Sir John is George W. Bush, (calling Saddam a liar.) Sebastian is the average USA citizen, asking for reason and explanation, and egging Sir John (a.k.a George Bush) on a bit. The Kings Order? Obviously the constitution, giving the right to bear arms, and the right for the President to wage war.

The narrator, questioning the honesty of Sir John and speculating in secret trafficking -- I guess that is me!

Very uncanny. What I receive from this is as follows: we attacked Iraq for bearing arms, a right that we give to every citizen of this country, and a situation the USA actually helped create by making so many weapons.

Also: George Bush called Saddam a liar. Was George Bush lying himself? That isn't answered -- it is left as speculation in the above text.

There might be more. I will have to meditate on it for a while.

Edit: Small adjustments.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Another Question: Will the USA attack Iran?

A fragment of Auber's plaintive tune passed like a sigh across his memory.

For the repose of Gaston's young, world-loving spirit, they sang all that he had taught them of Il Trovatore.

After this day, Felipe and all those who knew and loved the Padre best, saw serenity had returned to his features; but for some reason they began to watch those features with more care.

"Still," they said, "he is not old." And as the months went by they would repeat: "We shall have him yet for many years."

Thus the season rolled round, bringing the time for the expected messages....

My reading on this answer: Aurber's song is the cry for war. Gaston is Iran (in repose -- perhaps dead), Felipe is the USA, Padre is Israel (He is not old. He was best loved by Felipe.) Il Trovator represents the Koran.

Edit: The text is a bit ambiguous. I take it that serenity returned to Padre's (Israel's) features, after the "repose" (death) of Gaston (Iran) and that Israel was watched carefully, and with suspicion, after that.

The outcome: Iran will be attacked and destroyed. The consequences of this will be catastrophic war for the entire world, driven by Koranic disciples. In particular: The "Expected Message" is the dissolution of Israel (but that is some far time away.)

Hope not. But that is my prognosis, and it is clear as day to me from the above text.

Edit: More adjustments after thinking some more.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Great Thread...!

I've used this method before and have always found it to be really accurate, although it doesn't miss and hit the wall...it's not known for it's tact, in other words.

I asked...Are we facing economic and social collapse? What about food supply?

From Entering the Circle, I got this...

" Having finished her story, Maria began to prepare our supper. She added wood to the fire in the stove and gathered the cooking ingredients from the cupboards in her small kitchen. After she had finished cooking, she took small pieces of the lamb and potato dish she had made and placed them deliberately in the fire. At the same time, she said some indistinguishable words under her breath. I recognised this as an Altai ceremony, honoring and feeding the spirit of the home fire before each meal. After the fire had embraced the pieces of food as a symbol of our gratitude, we were allowed to eat."

I find this deeply reassuring....yes, our structure will have to change, but we will still be provided for, as long as we remain grateful, and connected to more than just our shallow modern lives.

Blessings

Cait

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
You wanna try something like this, just get a fortune cookie. Every time I get one, it comes true... although the manner in which it comes true is always different than what I would expect. This makes it easy to go by unnoticed.

Life comes with a mischievous genie attached.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
I find this deeply reassuring....yes, our structure will have to change, but we will still be provided for, as long as we remain grateful, and connected to more than just our shallow modern lives.

I agree completely with your reading. I also noted the "spiritual" part of the text, which clearly says (at least to me) that money is just a relatively minor part of our sustenance. It is pretty amazing, this connection.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
You wanna try something like this, just get a fortune cookie. Every time I get one, it comes true... although the manner in which it comes true is always different than what I would expect. This makes it easy to go by unnoticed.

Life comes with a mischievous genie attached.

Absolutely no doubt that fortune cookies are a type of stichomancy, for sure. The problem is that you have to look for a very deep meaning, beyond the superficial, otherwise that message is wasted, of course.

Good point, Kruel.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join