It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you want to know when you will die?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Hoping it doesn't happen.

Besides, how do you warn people about that? Hey, by the way, I had this dream...

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Siblin

That would be a good way to phrase it.

I think I would have to tell them. I would feel horrible if by some freak chance, something did happen and I could have warned them about it.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I would too.
I've told my best friend and I'm thinking of telling my family, maybe. But there were a lot of people involved in the dream that I don't know well, and since my details are sketchy (the date, the exact circumstances, and so on), I don't know what good if any it would do.

I really, really want to brush it off as a dream. I'm allowing some possibility of it being real though, since I do occasionally have dreams that somehow end up happening. Like this past month, I had a dream that I was being followed by a customer at work. He resembled an actor that typically plays kind, charismatic people. He kept following me, though, and distracting me from my job. He gives a friendly smile every time I catch him behind me again. I try to get away and WHAM, nice, friendly guy suddenly transforms into (funnily enough, given your avatar) Anton Chigurh and dream gets scary.

Not long after this, in real life, a customer keeps coming over to the department I work in and being overly flirtatious to the extreme (lingering for more than thirty minutes each time). He's distracting me from my work, so I try to politely ignore him, allowing my co-workers to deal with him instead as I am new to the department anyway (his comments continue to be directed at me though). This goes on for a couple weeks, and he is getting more and more obnoxious. Then one afternoon, he leaves after lingering for yet another good half hour...next thing I know, one of the ladies in an adjacent department is dragging me aside and giving me a stern warning to keep away from that guy at all costs, because as it turns out, this guy is a genuine stalker -- he'd been caught stalking another woman who worked at our store several months prior.

There are quite a few more examples of stuff like that happening, but that is just a really recent one. I don't remember dreams often and the death dream is the most vivid one I've ever had in my life. So I hope people can see why I'm not ignoring it altogether just 'cause it's a dream. Even though I certainly hope it is.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Siblin

Well, that is a pretty crazy coincidince if nothing else. I hope that your death dream isn't nearly as accurate.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Well, yes and no.

I can see advantages and disadvantages to knowing.

On one had if I knew how i was going to die, I might be more prepared for it when it happens.

On the other hand, Knowing how im going to die might drive me crazy. I might become bent on making sure what kills me doesnt happen. Who knows what I would do to try to stop it from happening.

Knowing how I die could give me a chance to to go do things I have always wanted to do before I die. It would give me a chance to say things to friends and family members. Things that ive always wanted to say, but just didnt have the courage to say before.It would give me a chance to work out any issues I may have with other people.

So yes and no.

I guess though, If I have to pick, I would pick yes.

I think having the chance to do all the positives listed above out wieghs the risks.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
*Disclaimer: I just watched the Bucket List and that is the inspiration for this thread*

I am curious, if you were given the opportunity to know the exact time of your death, would you take the opportunity? Would you view it as liberating or as a curse? If you did know, do you think you would change the way you are living your life now? If so, why not make those changes without knowing? Thanks for any input.

I think we as a society and culture are heading over a cliff because we run our economy on war and being scared.

I live my life as if I am under a death threat at all times which I believe I am. There are just too many ways to screw up.

Maybe tomorrow Ill think differently.

sarc

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Done. The first and last time I messed with a ouiji board I asked it when I would die. It moved to 21. I'm 45 now. So I am guessing it meant the 21 first century. I was nine at the time and really dumb.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I absolutely would want to know when I am going to die. While the idea that our lives are so predetermined would be somewhat unsettling, imagine how liberating it would be to know when your exact time of death will be. Day-to-day life will pretty much lose all of its danger, since you'll know you're invincible (at least to death) until the fateful day arrives.

As that day comes closer and closer, you can start breaking more and more rules without fear of retribution. Burn all your bridges. Max out all your credit cards. Default on business deals. Abuse all sorts of drugs in a reckless manner.

When the day is only a couple of weeks away, your behavior can become even more brazen and you can commit murders, assaults, rapes and robberies without the slightest thought. Finally, when you're just one day away, pull off your biggest stunt of all and make a fool-proof suicide attempt, just to see if you can change fate.

If I knew I were going to die tomorrow, for example, I'd try jumping out of a commercial airplane without a parachute onto solid ground. There's no way someone could survive that, right? But if my fate is already mapped out for me and I can't die until tomorrow, how would that work out?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join