It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you want to know when you will die?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
If we are all going to die, I suppose knowing when, where and how one would end up meeting the ‘grim reaper’ wouldn’t be so bad an idea. At least we could live life the fullest and then we won’t leave our stinking meatbags of a fleshy body knowing nothing has been left undone. I hate surprises and I hate being left in the dark about anything that I know darn will happen anyway. I think our astrological charts would indicate the time of death. It's a claim that I've read somewhere on the internet years ago.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Thanks for the post. I know someone similar to your first example. It is fascinating to me to observe how people deal with that knowledge. To feel relatively healthy, yet to know that you have a very limited time left must be such a strange experience. The person I know has been reading some of the books that were left out of the bible, so to me that tells me that he is questioning Christianity.

He seems to be ok with the whole thing though, so it sounds like he is fairly comfortable with what he thinks will happen.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Now that I'm thinking about it, and even though it's not a choice, I would like if someone I knew could find out and give me a rough estimate of the time I have left. I wouldn't want to know all the specifics. Just knowing if I had 5, 10, 20, 40+ years to go would be fine. That would be enough information for me to do things differently or keep going at the pace I'm going now.

The thing I think of now the most since my time of death is uncertain, is that I always think I should write some letters to my kids (who are 2 and 10 months) and keep them sealed to my death in case it should be soon. Maybe take a few pictures with them that they could keep. They are so young and I don't want them to feel like they never knew anything about me or how much I love them. Makes me kind of sad typing about it.

Although, I've assumed I'm going to live a long while, because no one in my family has died in the 23 years I've been alive. The oldest family member I have is my great grandma, who is 97, with no health problems except her hearing is going. Not to derail, but she's my hero because she immediately fled from Poland when Hitler invaded it. I mean if she never did that, I'd probably either not exist or have been born in Poland.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessicka

Just knowing if I had 5, 10, 20, 40+ years to go would be fine.

What if it was five days?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Hmm. . . well I guess I feel that the sooner it would be, the more I would like to be able to know.

When I was typing that, the thought of days never even occurred to me.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Great question Karl..

I'm not sure.

I'm, half and half, on the one hand, maybe i'd "accomplish" more because I knew how long I had to do it... but then, I'd think, "well, i only have, say, 50 years, maybe I'll just do what i want..."

I live my life now realising that I don't want to be tied down by money, job, etc, (i'm a design student, however i'd much prefer to be a painter), and knowing that, well, IMHO, life is pointless, why not spend it enjoyably?

I am bad with commitments and being restricted, so I guess realistically if I knew how much time I had to live I wouldn't be able to handle it, and honestly, I'd probably commit suicide.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Vilyariel

I am bad with commitments and being restricted, so I guess realistically if I knew how much time I had to live I wouldn't be able to handle it, and honestly, I'd probably commit suicide.

Another interesting comment. Thank you. I wonder how many other people are out there that feel the same way. Knowing the time of your death would make you want to kill yourself. That is a lot to wrap your mind around.

Thanks again to everyone for the good replies. So far this is my favorite thread that I have created. I hate to whore myself for flags, but I would appreciate it if it was flagged. Personally, and I know I shouldn't do this, but I do pass judgment on threads based on their flag count. Hopefully if we get some more flags, more people will post their opinions.

OK, I'm done whoring.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I wrote something true here, but in retrospect I don't want someone reading this and thinking it's a good idea. I came to my decision very naturally and by the process of my own thoughts. I don't want to influence anyone who might be prone to romanticzing something morbid. Everyone needs to work this out according to their own ideas.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by CallMeMaury]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CallMeMaury

Do you have anything in particular you want to experience before you die? Is it just an age limit, or do you have an agenda?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I wrote something true here, but in retrospect I don't want someone reading this and thinking it's a good idea. I came to my decision very naturally and by the process of my own thoughts. I don't want to influence anyone who might be prone to romanticzing something morbid. Everyone needs to work this out according to their own ideas.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by CallMeMaury]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CallMeMaury

If its hell, then I guess I screwed up pretty bad.

Yeah, eternal suffering (if hell is real) is quite a penalty for screwing up. "Pretty bad" might be a bit of an understatement.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

If there is a being of infinite power and wisdom who creates imperfect, finite creatures and then punishes them for their weaknesses for eternity, I am not sure I'd rather spend forever with him in Heaven.

How can a finite transgression have an infinite punishment?

Blah, anyway I think the idea of Hell is a perverse notion that couldn't possibly be true in this universe. But yeah, if I'm wrong it would suck. But chances are I would end up there even if I tried to avoid it.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
Why not dedicate time to spirituality now, in your daily lives?

what does this mean?

I am not a spiritual person in the slightest and this isn't a negative comment on it, I just want to know what dedicating time to spirituality means?

Praying?

Forgot to add..
I would definately want to know. I would relish it. I would do and say a lot of things I am hesitant to do or say now. (yea.. foolish I know)

[edit on 15-7-2008 by gormly]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Funny to see this thread this morning. I just watched the same movie last night, and was contemplating this on the way to the office this morning.

I think that I would like to know. I see knowing as an opportunity to go out on my own terms, or at least have a little influence on the manor in which I go. I think that death will certainly be an experience, and I'd like to experience it to the fullest. In other words, I'd like to walk through the door, rather than be shoved.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I'd love to know when and where and the exact causes, etc.
If I found out that I was going to die a painful long drawn out pathetic death then I would probably take steps ahead of time to end my life a bit early and not have to deal with it all.

Oh .. you mentioned The Bucket List movie. I started this thread and you can add your own bucket list.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I would want to know this more than anything. I would like to know exactly when, how, and most of all, what happens afterwards.
There are many who talk about after death experiences, but hear-say is just not good enough. I would love to know and if there are any psychics on here that may know just pm me with some sort of proof that you are truly psychic.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I think i wouldn't want to know, simply because i would become paranoid thinking of it.
There are advantages, and disadvantages to both options. I guess it just depends on the type of person you are..

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
if you knew you were supposed to die, say by the car accident example, and u chose to face it...would it be considered suicide?

on a more serious note, reading these responses, ive been inside so far on my off day of work doing nothing productive. jsut reading these, im motivated to go out and do something, at least for once day! ill check with you guys later

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
id want to know, i dont fear death i came to the realization and eventual love with the fact that i will die. i look forward to it realy but i dont want to speed it up by commiting suicide. i would like to know simply so that i could prepare things ahead of time like getting my wife ready to move on after i die. i know that if she dies i allready decided that ill live with the remaining time i have with out a love intrest. id rather be alone and fondly remember my angel and what she means to me then seek out a new relationship. but id like her to be able to make her choices about moving on knowing that i love her more than iv ever loved any one and that i just want her to be happy no matter what. id also like to know so i have a chance to go see my family and have one last family meal with them. i dont fear dying i welcome it when ever it comes. but knowing the circumstances and time would be nice.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by alciefrederic

but I don't think I can bear such pain

Interesting point of view. To me, death is a certainty. We all have to go through it. I don't think I would view the knowledge of the time of my death as being much more painful than living a wasted life and dying unexpectedly.

YESSSSS. that is an awesome response. If i had the choice to know, i think i wouldn't want to know, instead i'll jut live trying to constantly make positive progress in my own life and help other people improve theirs, i know i have some kind of effect in everyone around me jsut like they have on mine, people usually just dont realize these things until its too late. someone i know tried to commit suicide yesterday, and i would've never imagined that person had that desire... it made ME cry because i've thought about it many times, but when i stop and think of my life and compare to so many others in this world...mine isnt that bad, it is the product of my actions. i wanna die knowing that i did the bet i could.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join