It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

vampires & New Orleans?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

The Endless Night Festival returns to our beloved New Orleans on October 30th through November 2nd 2008 for the eleventh installment of this international gothic, underground, vamp and masquerade event!

We are very pleased and excited to announce our weekend will include not only the Masque Ball: Day of the Dead on Saturday, November 1st, but the Dark Bazaar, traditional opening and closing ceremonies and the return of the legendary Lost Boys Beach Party.

Many make the pilgrimage each year and now that we have the most perfect venue for the weekend, the mysterious Temple of the Scottish Rite, we can make this the best Endless Night Festival yet!

What else is exciting we have worked out a cooperation of co-sponsorship and cross promotion with our friends from the Anne Rice Vampire Lestat Fan Club. Their main event will be Friday, October 31st and our main event will be Saturday, November 1st, so everyone will have a great weekend together.

The most important things is we support the continued rebirth of the most legendary haunted and vamp city in the Americas! There is no other place to spend Halloween for the hard core vamp, Anne Rice fan, goth or New Orleans lover. Both veterans and those who always dreamed of elegance, history and decadence of this city has overwhelmed us and that is why we continue to do this event with the love, which is Endless Nights.

Endless Nights Festival XI

I hate only posting speculation, but with vampires there are so little facts.

I have no idea if this is something that would be good to attend to try & find vampires.
It seems that real vampires would avoid something like this. Or maybe they can go & blend in with the stereotype just to sort of go along with it - for their own amusement.

It will definitely be place to meet vampire lovers who are honest they are lovers and not vampires AND a place to meet those who want to be or claim to be vampires.

Which brings me to this sort of dissappointing realization (not dissappointing enought to quit searching, though). It seems there are really only 2 outcomes about the existence of vampires:
1) we will never know.
2) they exist.

It seems difficult or impossible to disprove their existence, other than saying by virtue of lack of evidence they do not exist (which I don't buy). There are enough myths and stories that you can't outrightly deny their existence without hard facts.

So until there is enough proof/encounters I think the best you can say is you don't know. It's the most truthful, I think. And, it's probably going to be "proof" on an individual level, IE if one of you has a first hand encounter with one, a real 100% vampire, it's not necessarily going to convince everyone else.

Add to this the problem of some definitions of "vampire" including an individual who doesn't survive SOLELY on blood, but still needs it in addition to their food and it gets real hairy. Not saying that the current definition of Sang. vampires is a lie, but it is hard to prove, because a non-vampire can drink blood every so often in addition to eathign regular meals (with no ill effects) and claim to be a vampire - how could you proove which one was real and which one was just doing it?

So I guess back on topic, it will be an interestign time to be here in NOLA come halloween. Any opinions on the possibility of real vampires beign there or avoiding it?

[edit on 7/14/2008 by madhatter3113]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I posted about a POSSIBLE encounter in another thread, but at the time, I thought he was going to harm me, I didn't even think he could have been a Vampire until this week.

I've been all over the French Quarter and have never seen someone and thought they were a vampire. I have decent intuition and do get vibes from certain people I see out there, but never the thought "Vampire".

I've been along the river and away from the burbon st. riffraff, in the really beautiful almost gothic parts of New Orleans and have never seen one. I've been in some sketchy parts of the quarter and never seen one, mostly homeless anarchist/gutterpunk types. (gutterpunk in descriptive meaning, not in aderragatory way).

Lots of tourists, and handfuls of odd folks, but no vampires. I've been in a few cemetairies at dusk and no funny business happneed. If there were graves distrubed, it would be a pretty big deal here and probably make the news, because cemetaries are a "sacred" part of the city. Nobody dicks around with them, even vandals don't mess with them much.

What Iwas gettign at was: it'd be interestign to attend part of the ball and then jost go wander around and see if the "clientelle" of the city is any different. If I go, I'll let you guys know what I find.

Honest to god, I think 10 years ago, this city WAS pretty much the dark creepy place everyone thinks it is. But much has changed especially after hurrican Katrina. I in my early teens and my parents didn't let me go wandering around here by myself, unfortunately. So, I have second hand accounts of online sites that are now defunct and from people who were here 10 years ago.

What the hell happened? did all the vampires leave? were they ever here at all? It seems like if they were gonna be found anywhere in the US (going with the Lestat archetype), theyd be here. But if they aren't like that, who knows.

Another reason why this city seems liek the ideal place is illustrated by a Brad Pit quote fro mwhen he lived here soon after the hurricane.

But for Pitt and Jolie, the best thing about New Orleans is the anonymity it affords them. "Let me tell you, we're in this house in Prague right now and there's about 12 cars of paparazzi outside and some tourists with video cameras," the actor told the Times-Picayune. "I can't describe why we're allowed to live a more normal life [in New Orleans]."

The thing he misses the most, he said, is bicycling through the city's streets at night. "Living in the French Quarter is a thrill for us," he said. "We have some semblance of real family life. People have been very, very gracious with us. If we're on the front deck, people go by and say, 'Hi.' Then they go on their way, very friendly."

from www.people.com...

It's becasue for better or worse (better and worse is more like it), people here don't care. That's the prevailing attitude. They don't care in a laizzes faire kind of way (people can do whatever and not be judged) and also don't care about things they should care about. But my point is that Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie lived here for a time. They didn't get mobbed by paparazzi like they do elsewhere. People would see these ridiculously famous celebrities, say hi, and then go on their way.

A vampire wouldn't HAVE to hide here, no one would care, unless they resorted to murder to get their blood. But even then, it could be passed off as just another murder.

So the point of the point is: it's frustrating to not find one when this seems like the ideal place to do so.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Good posts, Mad Hatter. It is very discouraging, the idea that we've realized. So as much as some of us may want to know, how do we know what we're searching for, any more, when not all vampires even drink blood? Really, Hollywood made that a constant... In one of these threads previously, i believe it was jackinthebox, who asked me, "what if they turned out to be evrything that is wrong with the world-" also suggesting, what if they weren't what we'd expect; well, not that i would have seen a vampire-vampire, and so not that i would know, but just by looking back into mythology, we know nothing. We know even less than what we thought we did when we started. How frustrating.

...Sigh, the party sounds fun, though. Of course, i would seriously doubt any "real" ones would show. Unless they were in disguise as humans with really cruddy vampire costumes on!
But seriously, it is just for vampire fans. It's insured. And it is a long way away. But of course, if you go and find one-and live to tell the tale- it would be of interest here.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Levita

Levita, I'm glad to have met another like minded vampire searcher

Your posts are insightful, as well.

i believe it was jackinthebox, who asked me, "what if they turned out to be evrything that is wrong with the world-

Exactly. I'm not a christian but grew up with it. I've started wondering what if the bible is true, but not in the way people think. Like what if "demons" are really "greys" or "reptilians" or in this case "vampires"? It's be tough to think of them as through & through monsters without any humanity at all.

We know even less than what we thought we did when we started.

yes. at least myths were based on real experiences or people tying to explsin a real issue or problem or occurance. They may have been exaggerated some. or may be 100% true. But with all of the fiction & fans out now polluting the truth, it's much more difficult now.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
It's a good place to go to for research. Even if you don't meet someone who falls to to their claim of being one in your mind, you will find lots of information. Also, a lot of people to interview to possibly find the answers you want.

To the question of where did the vampires or vampire/ dark culture go after Hurricane Katrina... dark subculture is ever sustaining in NYC, Los Angeles and Chicago. Newly, Seattle ranks fourth on a poll. So if you're closer to any of those cities, or do a search on nightlife in the area, of hangouts, clubs and more, you may find some good info., or a 'real'(claiming) vampire.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
When I lived in Louisiana, I had always wanted to go to New Orleans. After Hurricane Katrina hit, I drove through the city. My girlfriend told me it was in bad shape even before the hurricane, and after seeing the decayed downtown area I believe it. The vampires would have moved out a long time ago. There still are ghosts and other supernatural phenomena in the area, but I doubt you would find vampires. (I believe all supernatural legends are based on fact). Still, I think the ball would be fun and it is good for the city to rebuild.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by madhatter3113
Honest to god, I think 10 years ago, this city WAS pretty much the dark creepy place everyone thinks it is. But much has changed especially after hurrican Katrina.

What the hell happened? did all the vampires leave? were they ever here at all?

I was in the city 10 + years ago, and trust me, there were vampires. I'm not sure if you have come across the name "Kagens" which was a bar on Decatur Street? Well, it WAS a vampire bar. Not a goth bar like Whirling Dervish. VAMPIRE.

It was said that Satan resided there, and the guy that everyone said was Satan always creeped me out, I would steer clear of him even before I knew that he was "Satan". I truly believe that he was (and probably still is) a "real" vampire.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by quaple_pouge

I would have loved to of gone to New Orleans 10 years ago. The decline of the city started before Katrina (which did not help matters).
Close to this topic, I have never met a vampire (that I know of) and would think it to be an interesting experience. Do you know of any vampire hangouts in the Chicago area?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Satan himself?!!!!
i doubt it.
But if you saw one, what kind of 'vampire' was it? Biological, etherial?
If you think the one(s) you saw were, did you ever see them have sustainment?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Levita

Of course I did not believe that he was THE Satan, maybe it was just his name, maybe he was the main vampire. Like I said, he always creeped me out so I stayed away from him.

I never did see any of them feed, I did hang out in the bar a lot, but I was 16 - 17 - 18 years old and thought it was a cool place. Of course I believed when I was told that vampires were there. There were always a few people, male and female, that hung around with the "known" vamps that were extremely pale, dark circles under the eyes and pretty emaciated.....I always just figured they were around strictly for the purpose of feeding......Oh course they could've just been junkies.

If I were going to guess what kind of vampire Satan was, I would have to say he was biological. I did see him drinking what I assumed to be alcoholic beverages, we were in a bar, but maybe he just liked to have his blood decanted into a glass.

[edit on 16/7/08 by quaple_pouge]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Yes, the city was quite interesting and fun "back in the day". Even though it has changed a lot, I still love it and go as often as I can.

I'm sorry, but I have never been to Chicago, so I cannnot say if ther are any vampire bars in the area.

Edited for spelling.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Thank you for your reply. I hope to revisit New Orleans in the future and will go to Savannah Georgia. After reading the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, the city looks like a good place for vampires.

[edit on 7/16/2008 by kidflash2008]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The "vampire people" that I remember seeing are still around. They just have normal jobs so unless you catch them out late at night at a club you aren't going to really run into them in their "wear."

I remember seeing a lot more of them around the storm, yes, but then again I remember seeing a lot of people around then that I will more than likely never see again.

If you haven't been to one of the Anne Rice parties, you should, I actually thought the ones that she hosted didn't happen anymore, but maybe I am mistaken. Al Copeland is dead now, so I'm surprised she hasn't jumped back into the city and gotten rid of that God-awful Cheesecake Bistro on St. Charles, but I digress.

I remember hearing rumors about them being able to get into the underground area of the quarter, like where you walk on the sidewalk and can look down a good ten-fifteen feet below where all the electrical stuff is. However, I don't even know where the entrance of that is, and I have never seen anyone down there.

An Eyehategod fan..

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

I had forgotten about the Endless Night Festival, so I will definitely try to be in the City at some point during that long weekend. You should try to go for that!

I LOVE that book!! I have always wanted to go to Savannah...not sure about the vampires, but if I could meet half as many interesting people John Berendt met, I'd be in hog heaven!!

To Niteboy:

I am also very surprised that Anne Rice hasn't gone after the Cheesecake Bistro. She certainly made a big stink about it when the project was first being discussed. However, since she is a Christian now, it may not be as big a deal to her....

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by madhatter3113

If it is being held at the Scottish Rite Temple... You know some real ones will show up....

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Savannah is an old city with a lot of mystical areas, so I figure it would be a good place for vampires. My father visited there years ago and thought about retiring there. Lots of old gothic mansions getting fixed up at that time. Also. Anne Rice has always been a devout Catholic. She is writing more on that to give her vampire sagas a break.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
thanks for all the replies!

No, i haven't heard of Kagens. I'm pretty sure it's gone, now.
The Dirvish is still there, though, as is some bar called Pravda (spelled in fake cyrillic). It seems a little "higher class" than the Whirling Dirvish, & it's still a darkish bar. But I never got the feeling it was a vampire bar.

I was too young back 10 years ago (not really though), but I would have loved to see Kagens. damn.

niteboy82:
"I remember hearing rumors about them being able to get into the underground area of the quarter, like where you walk on the sidewalk and can look down a good ten-fifteen feet below where all the electrical stuff is. However, I don't even know where the entrance of that is, and I have never seen anyone down there. "

DUDE!! It's interesting how few people realize that even though NOLA is so low in altitude and homes don't have basements, there actually IS an underground. I've noticed that myself. I think the first time was when I walked across one of those grates when it was cool out and felt this heat coming out of them. I looked down and had to move around to get @ a good angle to the street light shine, but I saw there electrical equipment down there and the "floor" was at LEAST one story down. Probably closer to 15 feet in some places like you said.

I know someone who works for the power company, so I'll ask is there an "entrance grate" Maybe I'll go exploring around down there. But that electrical # is really dangerous if you touch the wrong thing and I don't know how much is insulated, since people aren't supposed to be down there, and the power company de-energizes the equipment to work on it. People get kiled trying to steal copper from substations.

Speaking of underground, me and a couple of friends found a Civil Defense bunker and opened it up. That son of a bitch goes 4 stories underground! In New Orleans! It's been resealed, though and I don't blame them. The bottom story is filled with nasty water from Katrina and the air is terrible.

Take as needed for pain

bodhisattva:
I can't believe the Masons are letting the festival use their temple.
I'm going to get my ticked this week.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Yes, Kagens has been closed for 15 or more years...I believe I was 18 or 19 when it closed down....I was so upset when it did. It was the coolest place I have ever hung out.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
quaple_pouge:
" There were always a few people, male and female, that hung around with the "known" vamps that were extremely pale, dark circles under the eyes and pretty emaciated.....I always just figured they were around strictly for the purpose of feeding......Oh course they could've just been junkies."

Were there both male and female vampires?
Any other descriptions that you remember? Fangs? Clothing style? goth-type makeup? Tattoos? piercings? Hairstyle? Did you see the same vamps over & over again?

You said "they" were around for the purpose of feeding. You mean the groupies were there to feed the vampires?

Thanks for your contributions (as well as everyone). I'll look up the bar online and talk to people about it. I finally have some sort of starting point!!

niteboy82:
I just asked the guy I know who works for the power company abotu the "electrical vaults". He said:

Some vaults are pretty big, much larger than the grate is. He's been in a few. He said that someone may be able to live in one of the bigger vaults, but it's really dangerous because it's easy to kill yourself if you are not aware of the things to avoid touching.

He said there are no passages linking the vaults. Theres is conduit, many 4" diamater pipes with cable in them, conncting the vaults, but nothing near big enough for a person to crawl through. And there never were any large passageways connectign the vaults.

He said he is strictly referring to the "electrical vaults", the ones with the transformers & whatnot in them. He said vaults of other types MAY have connectign passages, IF they exist. He does nto know of any other than the electrical ones.

He also mentioned some tunnels by the convention center @ the end of Canal St. He said the city was working on a Subway project, which they abandoned. As far as he knows the tunnels are still there, but are sealed up. Maybe the vampires live here? I'm going to go investigate & see if I can find a way in or if someone else opened them up.

So
for mentioning those underground rooms. No one else I know of knows about 'em. (They're really obvious, but no one bothers to look.) They're fascinating & I hate to be a debunker but I don't think vampires travelled in them. Maybe lived down there. And like I said, that's just the electrical ones I'm debunking. I see tons of manholes when I'm out there. I'll have to get a hardhat and some official looking clothes and just start prying them open with a crowbar.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

If there are vampires, I don't think they would look like the goth or emo types. They could for a night if they want to feed on one. I would think they would look normal and if they did feed on people, it would be the homeless (not to sound cold but no one would miss them).
Just my theory to throw out here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join