It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Koala Loving Rush

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Well, alot of you probably know that koalas are my favorite cuddly creature. No offense kitty Miss. Ever since I can remember I have loved these little things and have never been lucky enough, living in the midwest, to see one. Well, I finally saw two today!!!!

The San Diego Zoo has shared two koalas, Bamba and Coombah, with the Indianapolis Zoo for the summer. Thank you SDZ!

So my sister and I packed up the hot soccer mom van and went to see them. Even the teenagers enjoyed them. Awwwww.

I know....they are cute and adorable but will rip your eye out in a heartbeat.

Here's my pics: I don't really know which Bamba and which is Coombah, doesn't matter.....of course they were both sleeping which I knew they probably would be.

This little guy would not show it's face for nothing.

Anyway, I was excited. So, if you could have a pet, you know....other than the typical dog or cat or canary...what would it be?

Rush

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
They are cool animals!!! It is funny seeing reactions from other parts of the globe. When ever I go to Aussie Zoo or other zoos I usually bypass the Koalas because they can be seen in almost any back yard. (I my area anyway) just like possums which annoy the crap out of me ‘coz I have to feed them every time I go outside at night. They are kinda like pets, in that I do feed them nightly, you can pat them but the upside is, you don’t have to worry about them when you go away.

On the other hand I would love to see a raccoon or a squirrel. We don’t even get them in Zoos here. They would be awesome pets, but then there will be some who find the wild ones as annoying as I do the Possums…..

[edit on 14/7/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
On the other hand I would love to see a raccoon or a squirrel. We don’t even get them in Zoos here. They would be awesome pets, but then there will be some who find the wild ones as annoying as I do the Possums…..

That's really funny that you say that. Our property is wooded and that's all we see....raccoons and squirrels. My husband and I were just talking about the raccoons today because they came up on our patio, which they always do, and ate a couple of my candles. They steal my flower pots, eat the suet for the woodpeckers, and what bird seed the squirrels don't eat. The poor birds can't hardly get a good meal. lol We've got the possums too, but not so much....creepy tails....ug.

How I would love to look out back and see the koalas. We always want what we can't have, huh? You must take some pics of the 'backyard' koalas, I would love to see them. I can take pics of our squirrels, but of course the raccoons are only out at night and believe it or not they are pretty smart, they won't come out until they are sure that we've all gone to bed. lol I still can't believe that they ate the damn candles.

My favorite backyard resident here is a very large pileated woodpecker, that in the 4 yrs. since we've been here can always sense when I have my camera and takes off when I get close. It's gorgeous. There is also red fox out there which I still haven't seen. Oh, alot of deer. we had five outside just a couple of weeks ago. If we could just throw a couple of koalas in the mix I would be happy.

Thanks for posting, Viking.

Rush

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Glad you finally got to see some Koala bears! You should get your husband to try to cuddle one and take pictures! Would be funny to see how far he gets before losing a eye or two!

Unfortunately I don't have any exciting animals in my backyard.

As for a pet, I want a Ferret. Don't know why but they seem cool. Unfortunately they are illegal in my state.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
In BNE you should have possums at least....and depending where in Brisvegas (anywhere near Caboolture or Springwood for instance) you should see a Koala or 2.

Unfortunately they are illegal in my state.

As are Rabbits. Bummer. But you can have a guinea pig?!?! Work that one out!!:shk:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

I love it, Hatter. I'm laughing so hard that I'm fricking crying.

The world needs more peace..........and koalas.

Originally posted by LI(f)E.
You should get your husband to try to cuddle one and take pictures! Would be funny to see how far he gets before losing a eye or two!

You are so bad. LMAO

So why are ferrets illegal?

Rush

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Not 100%sure. Possibly something to do with them being rare here?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Rush they are the sweetest thing!
Glad you got to see them.
Gosh I love my kitties, not totally sure what other pet I would have if I could, as Iam a firm believer that exotic pets need to stay in the wild.
But if I could have a pet for just one day, then it go back to it's habitat, it would be a Tiger or an Arctic Wolf. I love both equally.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

I instantly thought of Mitch Hedberg when I noticed this thread. You beat me to it. I will miss his unique comic personality and delivery.

May he R.I.P!

VIKINGANT , www.youtube.com... This video was taken in the Everglades National Park. The preserved area is of the west coast of Florida. I have seen many raccoons in my time but the truly wild ones are the most beautiful. I have pictures of my own ,but I have them on dvd and would need to dig for them.

This is closest to what I have seen as far as having a very wild color. I guess my point is ..the further you get from people the more beautiful and brighter the raccoon's fur is. The raccoons that feed on human garbage don't seem to have as much color. If you want to see a raccoon make sure you go wild.

That being said ...... I'm jealous that I don't have koalas in my back yard or many other things that you have in Australia.

By the way..... I don't know Steve ,but I do know where he made this video and it's a wonderful place that just happens to have one of the most unique ecosystems in the world.

hsur2112, Thanks for the thought!

koalas rule the adorable category!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Rush they are the sweetest thing!
Glad you got to see them.

Hi AD and thanks for posting. I love the tiger. But you know, the tiger was really the only animal that was not active, other than the koalas. lol

The baboons were hilarious as usual, but they had a baby. I know, awwwww. We must have watched them for a good thirty minutes and it was amazing. The adults all huddled around the baby, I presume it was the mother that was holding it, and the, for lack of better words, junior baboons were just running amuck. Playing and fighting like kids do. But all of the adults were taking an active role protecting the mother and baby. The baby was wiggly and really just wanted to go play with the big kids I think.

Now, we go to the zoo, of course, every year, but this was the first time that 98% of the animals we out and active. A great day for the kids!

We miss the 21 yr. old Kodiak bear, Ahkiok who died on June 10. Always a favorite among the visitors.

Rush

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I would go to the Como Zoo in St. Paul MN, (it's one of the few remaining free zoos) as a child. The nocturnal cave was my favorite. The creatures were so mysterious.

I would have:

Sugar Glider

They are so cool, and they make this odd noise. I knew this woman about 13 years back that was the first to have them in the U.S., I hope it was legally! Anywho, she had a male and female, and they had this little hanging basket they would rest in.

White Bat (Ectophylla Alba)

Bats rule, and you mustn't worry about them getting into your hair. Those dang wives tales. *shakes fist* I think it was Ace Ventura: Pet Detective that got me on the white bats.

Aye Aye

The island of Madagascar has some unique animals, however this is the quirkiest. It's fingers are special tools enabling it to eat grub worms and such. It's eyes are like that, because is needs to see in the dark. The people from Madagascar would kill them if they were seen, because the Aye Aye was thought to be a harbinger of death.

[edit on 7/15/2008 by eye open doors]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Those bats are cool. I wish our zoo had a 'nocturnal' area. Now that white bat sure has a creepy nose. What is that thing for?

When we camp, the kids love to go out at night with me to star gaze and animal watch. We hear the bats before we see them, They are more afraid of the raccoons.......and whatever ghost was the subject of the night's ghost story. lol

Rush

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by silverking
hsur2112, Thanks for the thought!

koalas rule the adorable category!

And according to the AP today, they rule the lucky category too............

'Lucky' koala bear survives head-on car collision

SYDNEY, Australia - They call this koala bear "lucky."

The 3-year-old male koala was struck by a car and carried for seven miles with his head and arm wedged through the vehicle's front grill, but was not badly hurt.

Staff members at the Australian Wildlife Hospital in Queensland state dubbed him Ely "Lucky" Grills, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported on Tuesday.

"He was very flat and unresponsive for a couple of hours, but (after) a bit of TLC and some feed and some fluids — and a bit of pain relief because obviously he would have had a headache — he was up and eating and doing really well," hospital manager Gail Gipp told ABC.

source

Wow, the name is so fitting. Aw, poor thing.

Rush

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

You mustn't be afraid of it's nose, and I don't know why it's so cool looking. Bats are your friend... they eat the bugs that... well... bug you! Man, raccoons are another of my favorites. Their little hands are so cool. Ghost stories by the fire sounds like good times.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Man, I have had more squirrel encounters than people encounters in my life, it seems.

Its too bad you guys can't get ferrets. I have 2, Leela and Robert Goulet. The coolest pets ever. But you need to give them their own room. They don't smell, because they're descented, but they make everything around them smell because they crap everywhere. Litter training is literally impossible with my little guys. I've tried everything.

Buuut you Aussies are lucky because you have the 2 coolest animals I have ever laid my eyes on, tree kangaroos and ring-tailed possum. My girlfriend and I were in the Royal Botanical Gardens and one of those possums snuck up behind us and scared my girl out of her flip flop. She ran away and the possum picked up the flip flop and ran after her with it, which I have to say is one of the cutest things I've ever seen in my life.

Are Aussies allowed to own Wombats or Wallabes? I saw a rat wallabe that I can imagine would have been a great pet. He loved being held and followed us around the beach everywhere. Whats the law on having marsupials as pets?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The possum ran after her with the flipflop......LMAO. That is hilarious.

Here's my funniest, true raccoon story...

We were camping at our favorite state park. This park has alot of raccoon, they roam around at night looking for food and are not afraid of the campers or their occupants. They will walk right under your feet. Our daughter was about 9 yrs. old at the time and she had brought one of her friends. The girl's and I had gone out on a night walk by the "creepy bullfrog swamp" so they were already a little scared. hehe Anyway, we get back to sit by the campfire and my husband starts to tell the story of "One Eyed Jack" the meanest raccoon in the park and how he came to lose his eye. The girl's were freaked and all of a sudden under my daughter's chair walked out 'One Eyed Jack', literally one eyed. HEHEHE I lost part of my hearing that night after the girl's screamed at the top of their lungs. Jeez, it was so funny. Come to find out, hubby had seen OEJ under the camper and while he was telling his story he had set down a marshmallow to coax OEJ over. Now they never know what to believe when we tell our stories.

Rush

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by eye open doors

I actually do like bats because I hate mosquitos more.

Rush

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

Mosquitoes are wicked itchy causing little creatures... I still try not to kill them when they bite though. Bats f'ing rule.

So do koala bears... hell pretty much any animal from Australia is awesome. The wombat, now that's a cool creature.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Rush...

I really think you're genuine in your belief that koala's do exist, but these are CLEARLY CGI, I can see the editing on the photoshop, and where's the EXIF data???

Where were you when you took these and I do mean latitudinally and did they make a sound? Why were they not filmed until they chose to mate???

Highly suspicious.

IMO they are CGI, in fact I KNOW I have seen a thread on these EXACT koalas before, brb while I try to find it.

But thanks for posting

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join