It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm In DIAL UP HELL!!!!! Rabbit's RANT

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
I feel for you my friend, a tear rolled down my cheek as I read your post.

Me, too! I was laughing so hard!

Sorry, Dave, I know it's a horrible pain! I don't have a horror story... Yet.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Totally unrelated Rant but since you are offering the space.

My Wife took off for two weeks to the Lower 48 to play with her family while I'm stuck here doing all of her work and mine!!!!!!!!!!!! Yesterday I had to go all day without a meal, worked 12 hours and I'm still behind. Then her damn cat's jump on me in the middle of the night because she is not home!!!!!!!!

If I don't get some rest pretty soon, I'M GOING POSTAL!!!!!!

Thank you I feel better now. I know this was about the Internet but what the heck, a rant is a rant.

Well, I've got a gazillion invoices to enter, so back to my fun life. Hang in there Rabbit and buy your kid a decent laptop. I have a friend near there who might let you park in his driveway if you can figure out your wireless

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
REPLY TO CRAKEUR [reply to feature not working for some reason -- I'm sure it's a conspiracy, just haven't worked out the details yet]

Thanks Crakeur, we do try (and are mostly successful) enjoying being here on this lil' chunka rock. Yesterday my favorite weather site was offline and ditto today. Then a while ago, the dreaded flashing red light on the modem, so I did what any sensible person would, I spun around three times on one foot and chanted curses, then laid a 28-oz framing hammer next to the box so it could contemplate its fate. As you can see, that worked.

Right now, enjoyment comes in the form of preparing our house for the hurricane that's coming our way on or about August 17th. ooops.... that's not considered prophecy is it?

Cheers, and Dave....... just think how zippy things will seem to you after you recover from this dial-up horror. I'm picturing a little motherboard altar next to your PC. Chiphenge.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by argentus]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
My dial up hell was when i realised i had just looked at
the modem, because it was makeing this noise ,and actuly told it to STFU.

lol

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave Rabbit

My horror story:

I had AOL dial-up for 9 years. I received over 40 AOL/AIM messages per day that were plain spam, more spam email than I care to shake a stick at, and more lag than I could imagine.

When doing essays and reports, the internet would cut on me, or the AOL software would cause my computer to freeze, making me do a reboot and losing all my work.

Worse was when I had to take online tests for classes and the connection went out. Since the test was online, and timed, it wouldn't let me log back in to retake it.

Even worse was when someone had somehow got the account info, spread it, and then we recieved a $3000 bill for going overtime on our internet usage (our plan only allowed 40 hrs of internet per month).

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I was on dial up for a couple of years when broadband was unavailable where I used to live (bb was quite new at the time in the UK). I actually still played online shooters, the best one being Deus Ex, the trouble was that you had to shoot at someone about 50 metres in front of them to hit them in order to compensate for ping difference
, I still enjoyed the hell out of it though.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Corum

Ah, Deus Ex.. The greatest game ever made.. I built about 30 maps for that game. I also had dial-up in those days, with a lightning 46k dl speed..Makes for a great slide-show. Its interesting how that game tied to real-world conspiracies.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave Rabbit

I live in dialup land, I actually live in the middle of nowhere Mexico where we just got phone service within the last year here and dial up is the only avalible internet connection, so I have no choice other than dial up and it is truley hell, be greatfull you have all those bells and whistles in Dallas, naybe in the next couple of years we might get paved roads?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreezerAh, Deus Ex.. The greatest game ever made..Its interesting how that game tied to real-world conspiracies.

You're right there, Freezer. Best game ever and a very interesting conspiratorial storyline too, it's old now but I would still recommend people play it, it's a timeless classic.

Oriam, can you not get mobile phone broadband where you live? I feel for anyone without a choice having to use dial up.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I find it hillarious as I try and scroll down "recent posts" and see this thread.............because I, right now, am in DIAL UP HELL.

I am in a temporay living situation - a hotel room - between moves - and my only internet option is dial up in my hotel room.

DIAL UP! I cant even check email. I can try but it takes 15 minutes for the page to load, then another 5-10 minutues to open new mail.

ATS?
It takes about 5 minutues to open a thead
And another 5 minutes for my response to be posted!

I cant even load a site to do a speed test to find out how sloooooooooooow this connection really is

Then I sit here and think: Some people have only known Dial Up!

Oh and Im using "NetZero HighSpeed".....LMAO
"high speed".

[edit on 7/29/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
9yrs ago I got a phone line installed specifically for dial-up

128k normal connect speeds even with slow computers and win 96/98
Now, since 02 my dial up is usually 26-28k
ONCE I got online at 56k
Made the mistake of posting criticism of the gov't* and my dial up speed dropped the next day.
Phone lines are not capable of high speed and they have installed new wiring into and in my house.

I use 3 isps and all have dropped my connect speed a couple weeks after I begin posting on the net.

I cut the cable and refused to let the cable company replace it.
My sat has been converted to a bird feeder.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join