It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wynne speaks out (Barksdale Nuke Incident)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Wynne speaks out (Barksdale Nuke Incident)

www.airforcetimes.com

The June 5 forced resignations of Air Force Secretary Michael W. Wynne and Chief of Staff Gen. T. Michael Moseley — the first time in U.S. history the top uniformed and civilian leaders of any service were ousted simultaneously — shocked the Air Force and highlighted deep fissures between the Pentagon and Air Force leadership.

Wynne sat down July 9 for a wide-ranging discussion with Military Times editors and reporters, explaining why he was really fired, what went wrong with the nuclear enterprise, what can be done about Iraq and how he sees the future of the Air Force.

The questions, answers and order of questions have been edited for clarity.

Military Times: Why were you fired? Was it the accidental transfer of nuclear weapons from Minot Air Force Base, N.D., to Barksdale Air Force Base, La., in August and the mistaken shipment of nuclear warhead fuses to Taiwan in 2006, or were there other factors?

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ATS Premium: Barksdale Missile Number Six: The Stolen Nuclear Weapon

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I added the bracketed portion of the title for clarity

I just caught this looking for some information on some recent flurry of activity at the Barksdale AFB.

He does try and deflect blame away from this, I haven't read it completely but wanted to share this one for those interested, as a matter of fact I didn't even check to see if this was posted yet, my apoogies and a quick closure will follow if has already been posted.

www.airforcetimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Ok, having read the entire article now, it seems to be a mix of deflection, sour grapes, although he does seem to take partial blame for not keeping a close eye on the classification of the parts that were sent to Taiwan, he does seem to have a major beef with Gates, I wouldn't think anything unknown would be revealed since it is from the AF times, but it was interesting to read the thoughts of one of those who took the fall for the Barksdale Incident.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think the firing of Air Force Secretary Michael W. Wynne and Chief of Staff Gen. T. Michael Moseley, was just a show.

The Air Force NEEDED to do SOMETHING to get the media off thier back...

So this is just a basic, simple, distracition... Thats all...

Im reading the interview, and it is very good actualy...

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Sacrificial lambs as they say, I did find the portion concerning the lack of staff revealing.

All in all, it is most likely a complete failure of the command structure that should have maintained close scrutiny of those weapons.

If the scrutiny was that lax on the nukes, how bad must it be in lesser areas?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
what's weird,,, while obviously this scenario makes much more sense to be fired,,,,,,, the day b4 this came out--- iread an article of hoiw moseley was being fired for or resigning because

he was in charge of awarding a contract to a buddy---for making a promo video to be used at air shows for the thunderbirds

he gave the contract to his buddy for 50 million----yet the next lowest bid was for 25 million

hmmm,,

but imagine 50 mil to make a little promo video-----talk about waisting taxpayer money---hell even 25 mil is outrageous-----i would have loved to been able to bid on that contract

'so,,,, while the nuke firing makes way more sense-----what about what i read about him

total bs-----or an uninformed media outlet or is this in addition to that?????

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by shortywarn

I am sure I am not the only one who would like to read the article you mention, if you get a chance please provide us with a link.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
i read that on a "sketchy website originally---but it look spretty true,,,ny times , ny post article and many others sources

www.nypost.com...

www.nytimes.com...

judicial-inc.biz...

ps---i hate the music on this site,,,it's awful and annoying ---geez!!!!

pogoblog.typepad.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by shortywarn

Thanks for the links, that's some really disturbing reading, it is beyond me how these senior staffers could conduct themselves in this manner.

I am reading through the pdf file of the IG inspection, and it is very disappointing, if anyone is interested in the IG report on the TAPS investigation go here:

IG Investigation report pdf

Sending the country's youth to far away wars, while they sit comfortably in the states misusing taxpayer money to set themselves up after retirement.

They dishonor the uniform they wear

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Sent nukes to the wrong place.

Sent classified nuclear weapons parts to another country.

Has a huge beef with the army over the proper use of air support in the war zones and they were doing nothing to help the situation get better.

I think Gates did what he had to because these guys never stepped one foot on the ground in a war zone and were a couple of pencil pushers that screwed up big time many times.

The air force had no good excuse for not giving our troops the propper air cover and that is what broke the cammels back.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Quotes originally posted by Sky watcher:

Sent nukes to the wrong place.

The 'right' place...

Sent classified nuclear weapons parts to another country.

On purpose...

Probably would have been too obvious to give them promotions. My guess is that they'll simply move over to the private-sector and each will then be given their reward for jobs well done.

top topics

join