It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama camp: Satirical magazine cover "tasteless"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Obama camp: Satirical magazine cover "tasteless"

www.examiner.com

WASHINGTON (Map, News) - Barack Obama's campaign says a satirical New Yorker magazine cover showing the Democratic presidential candidate dressed as a Muslim and his wife as a terrorist is "tasteless and offensive."

The illustration on the issue that hits newsstands Monday, titled "The Politics of Fear" and drawn by Barry Blitt, depicts Barack Obama wearing sandals, robe and a turban and his wife, Michelle, dressed in camouflage, combat boots and an assault rifle strapped over her shoulder - standing in the Oval Office.

The couple is doing a fist tap in front of a fireplace in which an American flag is burning. Over the mantel hangs a portrait of Osama bin Laden.

"The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Senator Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton. "But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I'm an Obama supporter and I think the cover is pretty funny. But then, I get that it's a satire. Too many people might think it's the truth about the Obamas--too many people already do.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   

This illustration provided by The New Yorker magazine, the cover of the July 21, 2008 issue by artist Barry Blitt, shows Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama dressed as a Muslim and his wife as a terrorist. The magazine says the cover is meant to satirize the use of scare tactics and misinformation in the presidential election to derail Obama’s campaign, but Obama's campaign called it "tasteless and offensive." (AP Photo/New Yorker)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

give a sister some RESPECT

oh this is jokes, i was just going to PM a certain member with this
woundering if they would use it as an avatar

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Not a bad idea there bodrul...

That would make an intresting Avatar...

But i like mine better...

And on topic, i am glad that some of Obamas supporters are taking this for what it is... Satire...

Thats all, it was made to be funny, and it is...

All that being said, i am probaly going to buy the New Yorker for the first time ever... in fact, idea...

heres my theroy on WHY they did this.

Everyone knows that the 'Print' media is going out of Business, so... how can they get people intrested in thier newsrag again? WHy, put a contoverial Pic on the cover... and BOOM... Everyone is going to buy this now...

And a paper that was going bankrupt, has its best selling issue of ALL TIME...

Just a theroy...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
WAAAAAHHHHHH!

A potential President of the United States getting upset by a magazine cover.?

America may have become a nation of whiners, but do we really need a whiner as a leader?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The racism is going to come. If it is harnessed in the form of laughter, you will be very wise.

new topics

top topics

join