It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Definition of terrorism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I found this quite amusing and well references to what we see today.

Wiki Definition

The term "terrorism" comes from Latin terrere, "to frighten" via the French word terrorisme,[9] which is often associated with the regime de la terreur, the Reign of Terror of the revolutionary government in France from 1793 to 1794. A leader in the French revolution, Maximilien Robespierre, proclaimed in 1794, “Terror is nothing other than justice, prompt, severe, inflexible; it is therefore an emanation of virtue; it is not so much a special principle as it is a consequence of the general principle of democracy applied to our country's most urgent needs.”[10] The Committee of Public Safety agents that enforced the policies of "The Terror" were referred to as "Terrorists."[11] The English word "terrorism" was first recorded in English dictionaries in 1798 as meaning "systematic use of terror as a policy."[9] The term appeared earlier in English in newspapers, such as a 1795 use of the term in The Times. The Oxford English Dictionary still records a definition of terrorism as "Government by intimidation carried out by the party in power in France between 1789-1794. Generally, a policy intended to cause terror in those against whom it is adopted."[12]

As they say..... History repeats itself.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The meaning of words change over time.
"Gay" used to refer to something joyful once upon a time, when Johnny Cames Marching Home, Again.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by Alxandro]

[edit on 14-7-2008 by Alxandro]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I should totally insert a picture of my ex wife here but i'd be sued... because she'd terrorize me more with the lawyers for doing it...

new topics

join