It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baptist church in assault rifle giveaway

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
If there were no guns their would be no gun related deaths. ok, I can grasp that. Now, tell me how you plan on getting rid of guns? The technology is there, you can't make it go away, you will never get rid of guns. Now, take guns out of the hands of mot of the populace, and what do you have? Knife crime. Ask our friends across the pond in the UK they will tell you, knife crime is rampant. Now, if we are to live in a world where you can't get rid of guns, then should we not at least teach our children to respect these things that we will never get rid of? Should we not teach our children that if they are going to eat an animal that they should have to take that animals life so as not to be a hypocrite and only eat meat that was slaughtered by people in a warehouse? Not educating our children on something that is always going to be thee makes them ignorant. All I hear about this site is "Deny Ignorance" so do that, deny ignorance to your children, or at least allow those of us that don't want our kids growing up afraid of some metal and gunpowder to deny it for our own.

Yes, a projectile goin at supersonic speeds will kill. So will an arrow. So will a knife. So will a baseball. So will a bat. And, so will a rock, hence why we have border patrol shooting mexicans that are pelting them with rocks.

[edit on 8/14/2008 by Finn1916]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I wish I'd had that AR-15 when I came home from picking up my daughter from softball practice and found a strange car in my driveway. It seems I pulled up just as a man (yet unknown) was in the process of robbing my home. This is just one instance of why it's prudent, in my humble opinion, to be an armed citizen.

I can assure you I will be now. My husband is in the process of procuring a pistol for me and I will then attend classes to get my conceal and carry permit. He already has a pistol as he is former law enforcement and currently employed as a Director of Security and is C.L.E.E.T. certified.

I've only considered carrying a firearm maybe twice in my lifetime. Never thought I would have the need for it. Now I can't wait to have one. There's nothing like being confronted by a man robbing your house to light a fire under your *** to get yourself armed. I'll bet those who cry that there's no place for guns in a civilized society have never been faced with a threat like that before.

I have three children in the home ages 5, 7 and 12 and firearms have been in our home since before they were born.They've been taught that guns are not toys and know that there would be harsh punishment for even touching one. Not once have any of them made that mistake. My husband and I plan on teaching all of them the use of firearms ASAP because of the incident last Thursday.

The next time I come home and find a strange car in my driveway, he better hope he's made his peace with God.

I guess I should add that I don't see anything wrong with a church giving a gun away as long as they take measures to insure that the youth is given proper instructions in the use, care and maintenance of it.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by soldiermom

soldiermom I'm glad nobody was hurt during your lesson. Unfortunately, most anti-gunners won't learn until someone sticks a gun in their face and makes them decide if it will be their wife or their daughter that will be used as a party favor first.

I learned that lesson through a combination of methods. A: I'm a Cajun and we get guns as soon as our parents can find 'em small enough to fit our little arms. B: I grew up in a *very* bad neighborhood and C: I, too, was the victim of an attempted home invasion.

Yeah. If there were no guns *anywhere* there would be no gun crime. If there were no cars there'd be no car accidents either. Very weak argument. Besides, the technology is already out there. I'm a gunsmith, and some of you would be *very* surprised how easy it is to make a gun with only simple tools.

Heck, the Afghanis make very serviceable AKs using only simple hand tools.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by netwarrior

Your point about wives and daughters is my main motivation for getting a handgun. He could've easily overpowered me, had his way and then went for my 12 and 5 year old daughters. A gun is the only means of protection against something like that especially since I live in the country. Noone could hear my calls for help out here so a bullet would be my only saving grace. I don't think self defense would help much in my situation because he was a lot bigger than me.

As far as I'm concerned, a gun is the only way to go. If it's an assault rifle, all the better.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
How would you feel if the Imam at your local mosque was handing this out?

Inner city boys and girls club?

Would it change anyones views on it or still just protecting your family?

Could anyone other then a church get away with giving a child a gun?

Could they just give the gun to the child or would they have to give it to a guardian or with permission from one?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Lophorus

Children most likly are not going to recieve this firearm. Its the adults that are buying the tickets to support the church. You've purposely tried to misslead this with foolish questions and remarks. Your baiting is wasted!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It is going to be given to a child/youth under 18 is the way I seen it that was in no way bating cowboy. Jumping to conclusions too?

Its going to be given as a trophy they said. You do not get awarded a trophy from a draw you get a prize.

They said it will be given as a trophy to a competition at a youth conference.

They also said it was to bring in the youth to the church. Another reason to think it will be given to a youth/child.

Sounds like its going to be award to a youth no a parent.

Did you read the O.P.?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

In most states, the legal age to own and possess a firearm is 18. The legal age to purchase is generally 21.

Originally posted by soldiermom
reply to post by netwarrior

Your point about wives and daughters is my main motivation for getting a handgun. He could've easily overpowered me, had his way and then went for my 12 and 5 year old daughters. A gun is the only means of protection against something like that especially since I live in the country. Noone could hear my calls for help out here so a bullet would be my only saving grace. I don't think self defense would help much in my situation because he was a lot bigger than me.

As far as I'm concerned, a gun is the only way to go. If it's an assault rifle, all the better.

Just so you know, and anyone else reading this.. that is not an assault rifle being given away. An assault rifle is capable of select fire (switching from semi auto to full auto or burst fire, anything where more than one round is fired per pull of trigger). An AR15 is NOT an assault rifle. The AR stands for "armalite rifle." To be an assault rifle it would have to be capable of automatic fire in some way.

The whole "assault weapons ban" has given people a false definiton of what an assault rifle is. But, assault rifles are legal if you pay the 200 dollars for a class III tax stamp.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by angrysniper]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrysniper

In most states, the legal age to own and possess a firearm is 18. The legal age to purchase is generally 21.

Thank you that is what I wanted to know. I'm not from the same country as this article.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lophorus
How would you feel if the Imam at your local mosque was handing this out?

Inner city boys and girls club?

Would it change anyones views on it or still just protecting your family?

Could anyone other then a church get away with giving a child a gun?

Could they just give the gun to the child or would they have to give it to a guardian or with permission from one?

As far as an Iman or and inner city boys and girls club giving away a rifle to a kid, as long as the kid gets PROPER training from an adult that knows proper safety procedures, I could care less what your faith is or where you live and own gun. Hell, I think the more peple that own guns the better. An armed society is a politnot gonna kick my door own to rob me cause they know i'm packin society.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
To those in the US who find firearms such an evil plague, I would invite you to post the following in front of your home, with print large enough to be easily read from the street:

"This home is a GUN FREE ZONE."

I do not doubt that you will never have any issues with home invasions, ruffians, or common criminals. They will respect you as peaceable citizens and leave you to continue in quiet bliss. However, should an illiterate criminal choose your homestead as a target, do not violate your own gun free zone by requesting an armed law enforcement officer to enter, that would be an awful thing to have your home befouled with the stench of CLP.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join