It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baptist church in assault rifle giveaway

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Baptist church in assault rifle giveaway

www.theregister.co.uk

An Oklahoma baptist church has insisted it will proceed with its controversial plan to give away an AR-15 semiautomatic assault rifle* during a youth conference - a move described as "a way of trying to encourage young people to attend the event", according to local Koko 5 news.

Windsor Hills Baptist apparently has a history of worshipping God through firepower, and last year ran a shooting competition as part of its annual shindig. This year, it reportedly shelled out $800 for said trophy semi, but the church’s youth pastor, Bob Ross, claimed the main thrust of the conference wasn't about guns but rather "teens finding faith".

He stressed that the event featured 21 hours of preaching between bursts of gunfire, and defended: “I don’t want people thinking ‘My goodness, we’re putting a weapon in the hand of somebody that doesn’t respect it who are then going to go out and kill. That’s not at all what we’re trying to do.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
What Would Jesus Shoot?

Modern American Protestantism has lost its collective mind over the past few decades and bares absolutely no resemblence to the small country church Christianity I grew up in.... Indeed there is little Jesus left in the teachings of many of these places... I hesitate to use the word church anymore.

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
So what, they're giving away a gun. If I went to church I would show up on the day they where handing it out.
I drove through Oklahoma once. Besides getting blank stares from people (thats what I get for having a calif license plate) their did'nt seem to be that much to do there. I don"t see anything wrong with having people get together be it by bake sale or gun, that would strengthen community.

You can look at the positive or negative it's all subjective.
On the positive maybe these kids will learn about gun safety and the proper way to handle a weapon.
On the negative side maybe the winner will take out the congregation.

pick-e-choose-pick-e-choose-one-ya-win-one-ya-lose.

[edit on 7/14/2008 by liamoohay]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Thou shalt not kill, but this shall.

An assault rifle? Isn't that a bit excessive? I thought the message these religions were trying to preach was one of peace... not "piece".

How are you supposed to deliver a message of peace when your giving away something that's intended to do just the opposite. It's an assault rifle, it's designed for warfare.

Hey, you can pick up about 100 RC Helicopters for 2,000 bucks now... kids like RC Helicopters.
No?
The Air force often lets people ride along with the pilot during flybys at air shows for a minor fee. Kids would LOVE that.

They couldn't think of anything better than an assault rifle to lure kids?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by liamoohay

Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is. Its Oklahoma. Like most of us in flyover territory, firearms ownership is part of the way of life and for many represents a part of a better, traditional way of life that is slipping away as the years pass.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

What Would Jesus Shoot?

Not "what", but "Who"!!

Heck, I'd join that church if I could get a chance to get that rifle.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
An assault rifle? Isn't that a bit excessive? I thought the message these religions were trying to preach was one of peace... not "piece".

How are you supposed to deliver a message of peace when your giving away something that's intended to do just the opposite. It's an assault rifle, it's designed for warfare.

True, it's designed for warfare, but it doesn't have to be used that way.

Originally posted by johnskyThe Air force often lets people ride along with the pilot during flybys at air shows for a minor fee....

No, they don't.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
What Would Jesus Shoot?

Dunno'. But Americans shoot home invaders.

About 15 years ago when we lived in Alabama, the local truck dealership was giving away shotguns and shotgun racks to anyone who bought a new truck.

It was just part of the local way of life in Alabama.
I've been through Oklahoma but have never lived there.
I suppose that's their way of life out there.

BTW .. hope your knees are feeling better grover. Mine hurt like heck. Sometimes when mine ache I think of you.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Um it's NOT an "assault riffle", it's a semi automatic .223/5.56x45 caliber rifle no different then any other semi automatic rifle, Assault Rifles are Select fire weapons, An AR15 is by name alone not a select fire, Assault Rifle...

These pc left wing fear tactics are getting old, Who cares if they are giving away a gun, I'm around guns everyday, my family and friends carry them, chances are you walk by several dozen armed citizens everyday if you live in a concealed carry state and you don't even realize you're around guns all the time... but oh no! if you see them it's suddenly more DANGEROUS!!!!

I pray for the day schools teach children to shoot at an early age and teach them how to be responsible, and safe around and with firearms...

It was the wishes of many of the founders of this country for the general populations be trained in the use of weapons and war to protect yourself and your state/country from whoever threatens it, No not the military but ordinary citizens, It's called the militia, And guess what many of the founders were? CHRISTIANS...

By right every citizens should get a AR15 when they are born...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
1st - Has anyone personally contacted the church and inquired about the giveaway to understand their purposes and the history leading up to it? If you had, and did so with the intent to actually listen, you would hear about their firm belief in the right of individuals to bare arms for the protection of their families and property. The church has held this competition and giveaway for many years. This year a disgruntled former member took a shot at them (figuratively of course) by calling the news station and handing them the kind of story that is easily distorted by folks who don't appreciate the necessity and cost of freedom.

2nd-Baptists are not Protestant, see www.pbministries.org...

***To all servicemen who may read this post, Thank you for serving.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by C0le

You get a star! I'd give you two if I could.

I smacked my boss on the shoulder with a rolled up newspaper today. I guess it's an "assault newspaper."

Oh, and Johnsky? Learn your Bible before you start quoting it. Original text was "Thou shalt not murder.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by C0le

I don't really care for any of the religious connotations in this thread...But I agree with you. Here's my deal:

Being a left leaning kind of guy that I am, I tend to believe America can and should be a leader in egalitarianism. However, we need to understand why the SECOND AMENDMENT is there. The Constitution and the Bill of Rights do NOT guarantee your rights. They outline them.

You and your rifle guarantee your rights, and guarantee that you have a means by which to fight to keep them. I would love to own an AR 15...But I'm partial to the AR 30 .308/7.62x54.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by netwarrior

Learn your Bible before you start quoting it. Original text was "Thou shalt not murder.

Would you mind backing that up? Please, I would really appreciate it.

People freak out about guns just like people freak out about long haired hippies and gay pride parades. villianizing the far left is basically villianizing the far right so whats the point?

Many people think of church as a peaceful Holy place. You give away a gun at a church function you bet someones going to scratch there head.

There is more than one traditional way of living in the world so I would just look at this as world colliding rather than an assult on gun ownership.

[edit on 8/14/08 by stikkinikki]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Praise God and pass the ammo!

Oh come on, someone had to say it.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

At risk of turning this thread into a religious discussion and derailing it from its original purpose, I will try to answer your question as thoroughly as possible. I refer you to: www.biblestudy.org

and www.jewishveg.com which gives a better explanation of the distinction between premeditated murder and self-defense.

If "Thou shalt not kill" were the proper translation, no person who took the Ten Commandments seriously could kill in self defense, even if it meant loss of the threatened person’s life, or could kill in warfare, even if his or her country were attacked. There could be no capital punishment no matter how horrible a person’s crimes were.

Lets not forget that God instructed the Israelites in ways of waging war.

Additionally, I direct your attention to Luke 22:36-38

King James Bible

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

It is universally agreed that the main purpose of a sword is to kill. This is not to say that one can't, say, cut weeds with it or use it to hack open a coconut. Yet, in today's world, defending yourself with a sword when your attacker has a fully automatic Ingram Mac-10 would be very foolish indeed. Therefore, I have (and sell) the modern day equivalent to swords.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Wow, I'm an AR-15 away from feeling the holy spirit myself.

Having a potluck gun giveaway sums up the all time low of faith in America, I would say.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

You don't need an AR-15, DeadFlagsBlue. When you open your mouth only bullets come out.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Damn .. Wish i was a "youth" and lived there LMAO !!!!

Good for them .. I just hope they properly instruct the recipient in gun safety.

Just remember people a gun is just like a car , It can only kill people if misused... and in America Car's kill more people then guns do.

Want the streets to be safer? Arm people.. Want them to be run by criminals? Take away law abiding peoples guns.

Australia is just one example of this proof

Guns don't kill people..... People and Rabid Rabbits kill people

Edit..

DeadFlagBlues I have no proof that this is the case here But it is my experience that Die Hard born again Christians are the particular group that most often do this sort of thing.

Just wish i could find that story online where i saw something like this a year or so ago.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by wolfmanjack]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by netwarrior
reply to post by C0le

Oh, and Johnsky? Learn your Bible before you start quoting it. Original text was "Thou shalt not murder.

Erm, depends on who you ask. The Protestants make it murder, the Catholics make it kill. Hebrew is a semetic language, and like all semetic languages, is a bit rubbish when it comes to specifics.

As Christ preached peace and love and general floweryness, it's probably "kill". But you justify taking a human life any way you want too.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
Erm, depends on who you ask. The Protestants make it murder, the Catholics make it kill. Hebrew is a semetic language, and like all semetic languages, is a bit rubbish when it comes to specifics.

As Christ preached peace and love and general floweryness, it's probably "kill". But you justify taking a human life any way you want too.

Anyone that gives me the option of my life or theirs is beyond that kind of morality. In that kind of a situation the kind of moral high horse can and will get you killed. If you honestly believe that there is never a reason to defend yourself with force that is fine for you. But being insulting to others because you are convinced you are right does not make you look superior.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join