It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS.MIX: Above Politics Show 24

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by donwhite

You are of course correct I am both a Kiwi and a Cantabrian for practical reasons . Its kind of tricky to explain . There is a lot of provincial pride in New Zealand I think it stems from the fact that the country is geographically small . Like in many places sport has helped to create inter provincial rivals . Rugby is NZ national game and traditionally the prize that has symbolized supremacy is the Ranfurly Shield .

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

You are of course correct I am both a Kiwi and a Cantabrian for practical reasons. Its kind of tricky to explain. There is a lot of provincial pride in New Zealand I think it stems from the fact that the country is geographically small. Like in many places sport has helped to create inter provincial rivals.

Ignore me. Sometimes. We have similar rivalries between states, cities and schools. Superficially they appear harmless. But it is when those connections equal networking that shuts out other people that I fall out with too much identity. See Note 1.

Note 1.
The Ranfurly Shield, known as the Log o' Wood, is the most prestigious trophy in New Zealand's domestic rugby union competition. First played for in 1904, the Ranfurly Shield is based on a challenge system, rather than a league or knockout competition as with most football trophies.

The holding union must defend the Shield in challenge matches, and if a challenger defeats them, they become the new holder of the Shield. The Shield is currently held by Auckland, who won it from Canterbury in Week 10 of the Round Robin in the 2007 Air New Zealand Cup.

The Ranfurly Shield is still regarded as the greatest prize in New Zealand rugby, thanks to its long history, the fact that every challenge is a sudden-death defence of the Shield, and any team, no matter how lowly, has a chance to win.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I just wanted to point out that new listeners are beginning to discover the AP Show. We're hoping for more "word of mouth" like this.

What are YOU doing to help spread the word?

new topics

<< 1   >>

join