It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to see Atlantis on Google Earth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Cool video I found showing one part of Atlantis, perhaps the section known as Posiedia
www.metacafe.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Rather than watching a video on it, can we get some coordinates so we can investigate this ourselves?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by screamo

umm....i would say that if you look around cuba you will get the idea. that was what was being shown...cuba.

that a popular recent theory, after the discovery of underwater ruins there.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by screamo
Rather than watching a video on it, can we get some coordinates so we can investigate this ourselves?

Try looking at Cuba. It looks like the southwestern area of the island.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
What annoys me I must say is those that believe in Atlantis must do so as a result of reading Plato’s account in the Timaeus.

Plato’s account specifically states that Atlantis was located “beyond the Pillars of Hercules” – in the Atlantic ocean!

The Pillars of Hercules is widely regarded as being what is now called the Straits of Gibraltar.

If you look beyond the Straits of Gibraltar you will see the true remnants of Atlantis – The Azores (38°19'44.88"N 28° 1'40.24"W). The Azores are the mountain tops of what was a large land mass – or Atlantis!

Google Earth clearly shows that there was once a large land mass in this area of the Atlantic.

It should also be noted that this area is smack bang on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge (MAR). The MAR is a divergent tectonic plate boundary located along the floor of the Atlantic Ocean. It separates the Eurasian Plate and North American Plate in the North Atlantic, and the African Plate from the South American Plate in the South Atlantic. In short, a great place to swallow up a large land mass.

It is widely accepted now that the areas around Cuba and the Bimini Roads etc were probably outposts or shipping ports the Atlanteans used to transfer the rare and precious metal Orchirilum (sorry for spelling). Again, Pluto tells us that it was this precious metal that made the Atlanteans so rich and powerful.

The last remaining survivors of Atlantis were discovered in the Canary Islands back in the 1500’s by the Spanish who quickly enslaved then killed them. The Canary Islands are not far from the Azores!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I looked at Google Earth out from the Straights of Gibraltar and first came across this barren strip of rock. Something about it made me want to take a closer look. In just a few minutes I found two interesting areas having just started working my way up from the South. In this first one, I was drawn to the strange color and tube like shape. It was then that I noticed someone had created a huge arrow pointing to it.

32°26'47.20"N , 16°29'23.36"W

In this next one, I couldn't help but be reminded of the "glass tubes" of Mars. Look closely and you will see serrations in another tube like strip that appear unnatural. Directly below this tube are two more smooth tube rock shapes. Volcanic tubes perhaps? I wonder at the age of this rock then.

32°26'37.94"N , 16°29'22.55"W

bottom right closer -

...this second site comes in much clearer (you can see the serrations) just using the web based google maps rather than the app. Just search Spain and right off the coast of Morocco there's a large island Madeira and a strip of rock off it southeast.

Forgive me if this is off topic but it was the topic that lead me to this find.
Any clue as to what these may be?

[edit on 14-7-2008 by 1stearthwarden]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
At one time Atlantis was one continent i believe, but it eventually broke up into 3 islands before the final destruction, the western tip could be far to the west and the eastern section to the east.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Yeah, I believe they covered this area near Cuba on a show "decoding the past". I think they concluded that the road looking formations were naturally occurring. After diving on the area etc.

I believe they also concluded that the location near the Azores was more likely. I don't believe they found any solid proof though.

Don't know why that show was canceled. That guy was a bit of a dork but the show as a whole was very interesting.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchNLearn

It is widely accepted now that the areas around Cuba and the Bimini Roads etc were probably outposts or shipping ports the Atlanteans used to transfer the rare and precious metal Orchirilum (sorry for spelling). Again, Pluto tells us that it was this precious metal that made the Atlanteans so rich and powerful.

It's widely accepted that Cuba was an Atlantean outpost? That's kind of hard to believe, especially when consider that lack of evidence for Atlantis even existing.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

It's widely accepted that Cuba was an Atlantean outpost? That's kind of hard to believe, especially when consider that lack of evidence for Atlantis even existing.

Sorry, in my post I was referring to those that "do" believe in Atlantis - so to those that are serious about Atlantis being real - it is widely accepted...

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Thats just a Sloppy Joe Stain.... Move along..

Honestly, its just sitting around waiting to be found, Its not hard to believe that a Island Sank, we have alot of Islands in our waters that go thru Periodic Sinking and Rising throughout history,

What Im waiting for is the Sphinx to be Opened up.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trance Optic
What Im waiting for is the Sphinx to be Opened up.

How do you know it's not been opened up by the 'authorities' and already been raped?

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Jinni]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
There remains yet a lot to be discovered underwater. Stay tuned for some amazing finds, surface dwellers.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
There remains yet a lot to be discovered underwater. Stay tuned for some amazing finds, surface dwellers.

Nautical and martime archaeology are two of the more glamorous areas of Archaeology. They need dedicated people and more funding, if you can provide either go for it.

Underwater archaeology is 25-50 times more expensive than traditional land archaeology, you cannot use the basis of most digs, untrained volunteers and graduate students. You need people with special skills.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The best possible location for Atlantis is Crete/Minos. Plato was writing a book when he gave the location and did not know exactly where it was. The arguments for the Crete/Minos location is a catastrophic volcanic explosion destroyed the area over 3500 years ago. There was a very sophisticated and wealthy society that lived there before the explosion. That doesn't mean there may not be any ancient cities elsewhere, it just means Atlantis was more likely in Crete. I know a lot of the ancient astronaut historians hate this idea, but it is more likely the truth than any other (and backed up by many historians). Were learning more and more about this great society that existed and hopefully the Atlantis question will be answered once and for all.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Howdy Kidflash 2008

I agree completely, the Atlantis of Plato is probably just an expanded tale based on the remembrances of the explosion of Thera and the damage to the Minoan civilization.

[edit on 16/7/08 by Hanslune]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The place they are looking at could still be Lemura or Mu. I saw the program on the History Channel and they are learning more and more about that Minoan society. I do believe Plato was writing a book and took some liberties (as in location) with the story. I am one of those who believes myths and legends are loosely based on fact.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Some legends are based on facts some are not, there is no hard and fast rule.

Lemuria is a made up continent and so is Mu. The names have been taken over by fringe in attempt to breath some life into unproven speculation.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

I have not hear much about Lemuria or Mu, and what I have heard is pretty out there. I don't put much to those ideas, but I still would read about them for the fun of it.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
The most believable location for Atlantis is Indonesia. The islands forming this country are the only remaining sections of a much larger land mass that sits below less than 100m of water that is murky, and full of volcanic sediment of the type said to cause the seas after the destruction of Atlantis to be "impassible". Krakatoa is the dominant caldera in the most volcanically active region on the planet - at the mouth of the region, so to speak.

With Atlantis described as a temperate climate in which agriculture could be practiced year-round, you must look for a place with monsoonal weather patterns. Where rainfall can support plant growth at all times. This is not the Med and its desert climate. Additionally, you must look for a region where elephants were indigenous and capable of being domesticated, because the Atlanteans used them as beasts of burden as shown in their artwork. There are only two places on the planet where the elephant is native - Asia and Africa, and the only ones domesticated are Asian.

People look at the swallowing of Atlantis as being from a mega-tsunami. It is more likely, since the destruction is placed at the end of the last Ice Age, that it was caused by a rising sea level caused by the melting of polar ice caps and glaciers set upon by a layer of ash sent into the air by a massive volcanic explosion - a Supervolcano. This was an extinction level event, destroying many species including the Wolly Mammoth and the Sabretooth Tiger. The aforementioned land mass, larger than Libya and Asia Minor, South of Asia, has been proven to have been above sea level before the Ice Age, and would have required less than a 75m rise in sea level to have completely vanished into the ocean. A continent swallowed by the sea, in other words.

Plato's description of the "Ocean of the Atlanteans" is misleading, because in those times, the "Atlantic Ocean" referred to the entire body of water surrounding the Earth from the Pillars on around. There was no recognized split into Atlantic and Pacific. This causes one to have to completely reconsider the geographic directions Plato was describing.

The Atlantic civilization, like any empire destroyed, led to its surviving citizens traveling the world in all directions and doing what humans do after losing their home - recreate it somewhere else. The similarities in building design, temples and worship, irrigation systems and art styles between what is portrayed as Atlantis and Egypt point to Atlanteans having set up there. The depiction of the elephant on totems in Incan and Aztec societies, where the elephant is not indigenous, worshipped, or used as a beast of burden, seems to suggest that these civilizations have icons, building design, and ideology directly in line with that of Atlantis. That, and the use of futuristic technology such as the sundial and the first calendars, which would be consistent with the ahead of their time nature ascribed to Atlantis, can only mean that these civilizations came about as a direct result of the castaways of Atlantis recreating their civilization wherever they went.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join