It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forests to fall for food and fuel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Forests to fall for food and fuel

news.bbc.co.uk

Demand for land to grow food, fuel crops and wood is set to outstrip supply, leading to the probable destruction of forests, a report warns.

The Rights and Resources Initiative (RRI) says only half of the extra land needed by 2030 is available without eating into tropical forested areas.

A companion report documents poor progress in reforming land ownership and governance in developing countries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Secret report: biofuel caused food crisis

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This does not sound good in any way what so ever. There has been talk of food shortages, as well as fuel which pushes up food prices also. Now there is a looming shortage of land to use for farming. All this seems to point to things are going to be getting worse. Baring a new technology I don't know if the next decades will be a good time to be living on this planet.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

sty

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

we ARE in trouble. Daily Mail also talks about penguins that die because of the strange rainfall in Antarctica.. it looks like all the things work together for our destruction. And we cannot do anything to stop it.. too late.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
While I am in no way stating this as a matter of fact, it bears mentioning that the 'creation' of this perception is not entirely out of the realm of probability.

This planet has produced sufficient food for the entire population (not that they all get some) for generations beyond counting. This sudden mismanagement of food resources must be presented to me with great unambiguous detail before I am willing to accept the 'solution' which is sure to be presented as the most appropriate 'cure' for our ills.

I suspect there will rightly be suspicion of globally coordinated market and food supply manipulation. I anticipate and welcome rebuttal to restore my faith that this is not another wealth draining scheme, or another 'fear' tool of the propaganda machine.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sty

I am afraid I do have to agree, we are in trouble.
As to doing anything about it, I also agree there is not to much we can do. More crops will have to be planted. More land will have to be prepared for it. I do not consider farm land to be land that has been rounied as with devolved land.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
While I am in no way stating this as a matter of fact, it bears mentioning that the 'creation' of this perception is not entirely out of the realm of probability.

Agreed

I suspect there will rightly be suspicion of globally coordinated market and food supply manipulation. I anticipate and welcome rebuttal to restore my faith that this is not another wealth draining scheme, or another 'fear' tool of the propaganda machine.

I fear you will probably be right also. Mostly because with few exceptions in the end it is always the little people who will get the shaft in the end.

new topics

top topics

join