It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

video game-mind control?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
jra

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I highly doubt that video games train you for anything really (at least in regards for becoming mindless soldiers or whatever). Especialy fps type games. Using a mouse and keyboard is nothing like using a real gun. I also don't think violence in games desensitizes you, if you can't tell reality from fantasy, than you might have some serious problems.

Some games deal with problem solving and managing resources and units. Pretty much all stratigy games are military themed, but i don't see them training anyone specificly for military purposes. It would no doubt impove your ability to manage things and problem solve, but so would playing a lot of chess.

The only types of games that really train you for any real world applications would be flight sims. Microsoft flight simulator is used by flight schools to help train people who want to become pilots.

I don't see games as something used to control people and make them mindless soldiers. Quite the opposite. I see them as an entertainment and educational tools that can open your mind (at least the good games do). Games that have challenging puzzles and all that stuff doesn't make one so mindless i'd think. Plus games arn't really antisocial. Just look at the tons of multiplayer games out there now. Not to mention all the lan parties that go on these days. Games are usualy something shared with a lot of people now.

But i do agree that DDR is evil
I really don't like that game. I think it's silly in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Yes video games are another ploy of desensitizing the youth.

Why do you think there are som many cop shows on. At first they were
intersting to watch, now you just change the channel.

This is to prepare us for the streets of the future so that when crime
or cops are involved we will not be so concerned or worried.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I doubt its mind control and its no more violent then whats on tv 24/7.

there are people that are prone to cyber addiction which in the beginning the term was laughed at but its now reconised as a condition related to gambling and such.

someone posted something about the government being behind the games not quite true just one game I know of thats made by the US army which you can download for free. its to spark kids interest in the military as can be seen here,
www.americasarmy.com...

it looks great but its for team players and when I play games I am a lone wolf that likes to hunt team players so its not really for my playing style

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Video gaming tunes the eyes and coordination of the body.. Say you track objects on screen moving fast, and etc..

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I don't believe DDR is any more mind control then the junk music that kids listen to these days.

I also don't believe there's any kind of planned mind control or conspiracy going on with video games, because we are just starting to learn what effects they have on us. I wouldn't be suprised if in the future they would be designed to do something sinister like that, but I think we'll see them used for healing and legitimate training by then.

It has been documented that people who play video games have different brain activity patterns then those who don't. People who play video games have faster and more accurate responses at identifying visual objects whether on the screen or in the real world . They also have better eye hand coordination skills.

I don't think it's too much of a leap to think that kids who are still developing their character & morals can be desensitized by being exposed to violent video games & violent movies. It's a fact that the Columbine Kids played some video games that had allot of killing & blood.

I've been playing video games for about 30 years, and I feel it has had some affect on me. For the most part I think video games are good, but just like anything else too much is not healthy - especially for very young or unbalanced people.

It's my belief that just like weight lifting strengthens the muscles, certain video games can strengthen different parts of the brain. Too much upper body weight training will lead to an unbalanced body & doesn't make for a good athlete. Too much repetitive motion or brain exercises of some video games likewise can cause an unbalanced brain.

Although I have yet to read about this any studies, I believe that some video games can cause the release of certain chemicals that not only influences thought patterns but may influence physical growth etc.

Police use them for training, so they have quicker and more accurate responses. Military uses them for the same and so do pilots.

Training kids for unreal scenarios or killing before they understand life can only do damage. That's why I support ratings and age limits for buying such stuff.

Just like I have a problem with book censorship I would not support any censorship of video games that adults use.

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by outsider]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I do think that games were made to keep your attention away from what is going on in the real world..anyone that plays games 24/7 is in a world of thier own and they do see things in a whole different view.They can not focus on real life situations ,it is sort of being on drugs.they ecape living by playing games. But who is ever is behind the games has a plan to burn out our minds and make us all in a state of DAHHH! It is adictive and has the same effect as drugs,,just look for your self.Compare two people one on drugs and one that palys video games ????

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by candra
I do think that games were made to keep your attention away from what is going on in the real world.

it is sort of being on drugs. they ecape living by playing games.

It is adictive and has the same effect as drugs,,just look for your self.

Sorry, but I just don't buy the conspiracy that games were created to take your attention away from the real world.

I do agree that they can be a just like a drug and we know drugs have many good uses as well as being easily abused. Although I think the hangovers from playing video games are a little nicer than that of alcohal or other drugs.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
I wouldnt agree that video games make the idea of kiling look cool more over it just desensitizes so in a roundabout way your right, its a way for the companies to help create willing soldiers to fuel war machines.

Oh second thought I just realized that my avatar/name makes me one of them!

I agree, why do you think they make all those first-person shooters so realistic? SOCOM games were made by the U.S Army if I'm not mistaken and play those games as part of their training. So I wouldn't be suprised one bit as games being part of mind control.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I wouldn't go as far as saying it "Mind Control" but they certainly do influence use. War games have to be the worst, what�s up with the Medal of Honor series? They allow you to play through some of the most horrific moments in history and almost glorify them. Operation Overlord and Pearl Harbor, hundreds of British and Americans died then, why are they selling this!?

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
gov mind controlled videogames is like everything i talk about combined. lol. And I would have to agree that that is what it is but they are still fun to play

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Datters, after playing Medal of Honor and seeing Saving Private Ryan, even though they couldn't have even approached horror of the reality, I found I had a new respect for the people who really had to storm those beaches. I hold those people in the very highest honor. I learned something which made me want to learn more.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yea... and Grand Theft Auto is mind control to make people run around with rocket launchers and AK's

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo
Yea... and Grand Theft Auto is mind control to make people run around with rocket launchers and AK's

I AGREE...GTA IS mind control...once I start playin' after school...I'm hooked...I CAN'T STOP PLAYIN' IT...unless somethin' really cool happens and I have to go...If...you know what I mean...!

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chitose

Originally posted by Shugo

I AGREE...GTA IS mind control...once I start playin' after school...I'm hooked...I CAN'T STOP PLAYIN' IT...unless somethin' really cool happens and I have to go...If...you know what I mean...!

Uh... actually I was being sarcastic.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I totaly agree with you, also i've noticed that alot of war games are being made by a comapy called EG Games no bougt u've heard of them, well i think that ur theory could tie in with these guys maybe they got a contract with the government to make war games to prepear us for the future.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Most video games are designed for mind controll to make you wanna continue playing them.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Mind control... hah. The worst video game mind control is so you continuing playing them... then they make another one added on... and you want that one... it's just for game corps to make more money. There is nothing wierd about it.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   
"Mind control... hah. The worst video game mind control is so you continuing playing them... then they make another one added on... and you want that one... it's just for game corps to make more money. There is nothing wierd about it."

I agree and sound marketing too. If I owned the company I'd demand something like this.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Shugo, intrepid glad you guys agree with me I hate mind control unless i'm the 1 controlling my own mind that is.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cardsharp

This is to prepare us for the streets of the future so that when crime
or cops are involved we will not be so concerned or worried.

I agree with you partly on what you said. I think certain video games teach you how to think strategically when you are confronted with certain situations in your life. For example, if you like to play games like Resident Evil, Pain Killer, DOOM and Quake series, or Silent hill it prepares you mentally if it was EVER possible for the government to release a exerimental virus in a rural area and you would probably pick up the nearest solid object or projectile weapon and put a big hole in the Mo'Fo's head. As for games like Hitman, Grand Theft Auto series, Manhunt, and MAFIA teaches you how to think like a criminal and depending on the individual they could either BE a criminal or use that criminal instics so that you know how a criminal may think before he makes a move on you giving you a couple of extra steps ahead of him to turn the tide to your favor. Strategic war games like Socom Navy Seals, Battlefield 1942, Joint Operations, and Call of Duty gives gamers knowledge on how to strategize your attacks during or before you even attack. That is for anyone who is planning to start their own militia after the government starts the NWO movement. A perfect example of learning war time strategy is a Army game that is free to download called Americas Army. THAT right there my fellow ATS posters is why the soldiers of the Army volunteer ALL of their free time to play video games while learning different tactical plans depending on the situation. As for RPGs like EverCrack (EverQuest), Final Fantasy series, and whatever else (I dont play RPGs) they deal with a little number crunching and resource management. This seems like the type of game genre to train the future computer hacker (very respectable, and always needed when the time comes). Games like Splinter Cell and Theif teaches the gamer to be sneaky and could be the next spy for their country. I have to admit when I play the Splinter Cell series I am more aware of all the security cameras around different businesses that I travel to and I look around for a alternate way to get in that establishment other than walking through the front or back door. YES games do not teach you how to be a overnight Ace gun shooter by actually picking a gun up your first time and shooting a bullseye on your very first shot, but games do teach you a bit of what I have mentioned in the above genres. I must admit that I am a General type of guy that knows how to get my men in there with as little casualties as possible (Socom, BF 1942 and the likes) with a little bit of a sneaky spy in me (Splinter Cell) along with a criminal mind (thanks Manhunt!!). So when the $*it hits the fan, I will be mentally ready and able to adapt to whatever crappy situation I may face, but that is just me but for every different individual it is up to them to be the ying or the yang or BOTH. It depends on their mentality.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join