It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Moron Award is, err, Awarded!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:
TN1

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I believe this is a serious forum ,well when we are talking about science and technology !!I would like to suggest everyone :Reading and Studying ...This is the answer to everything !I will agree with some posts saying that we have to concentrate only on the topics and nothing else ,secondly i would like to remind everybody that we don't have to confuse pseudoscience with science and NEVER express something without any scientific backing or proofs or even indications!!!That's why i haven't answer the most of the topics here!!Because the most of them are not in any recognisable field of science -engeenering and mathematics .
These topics have no beggining and no end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Will,
by its very definition, moderator implies somesort of a fair, reasonable person. Your last statement and indeed the actions of Kano haven't really been that. I hope you can see this for what it is, not an attack on you per se, more an error of judgement on the way something should have been handled.

If it comes to it, then I'm sure someone could start to petition Simon for changes, but why go to all that bother when it can be settled far more amicably and we can get on with what's important - talking to each other about things that matter to us.

TN, when you say 'reading' and 'studying' is all you need, do you mean study as in reading more and more or actually studying outside of a book, Cd, programme?

Its just that I half agree with you, but I think you also learn by interaction - by doing, the 'practical' if you will.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Mad scientist, this insults me still.

You have not been treating me unfairly by "treating me as I am, when we should be treating him as he can be".

I have been a very good poster up until ONE STUPID WORD, FEET INSTEAD OF MILES. In a stupid post that was praising a peice of junk that is completely worthless which is why America really has no effort in getting it!

And this thread insults me as if I have BEEN what I am not.

I've not been a moronic poster, though more recently now I have been because this is so aggrevating, and it seems like B-T and the more liberal of the posters here are all out to get me, when I challenge their stupid attacks against bush that have no basis.

Then there is that Subscorpion who thought of me as ignorant because he gave bad directions and can't use a GPS, I still answered his dumb question...without his incompetence with a map!

All this began with this retarded thread! which took ONE single stupid word, and some how blew it into my WHOLE career here on Abovetopsecret.

Well Kano if you surely believe you should give me this Moron award, then you should award yourself one, because you could not even keep up with our little discussion about E=mc^2, or other bits of quantum mechanics.

Until the dumb Million rounds per minute thread I had shown exemplary behaviour, with almost as equally good information, and I showed good restraint, and helped people to better understand Freemasonry when they spouted out Religious drivel.

I also afforded good opinions about religion, and my views about the "truth" behind the "big conspiracy of the NWO"....

and here I am...

While other's are being awarded Top members of the Month, for no known reason at all....

....I am publically awarded this trash, for a False reason taken instead of all the other reasons, not to give me this award.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kano

1) Ok, opinions noted, and ignored.

2) (except UP's who made me chuckle a little).

3) A moron award is needed, and more than enough warning has been given.

4) Incidentally UP, the first moron award post was locked by me, because as it was set to stay at the top of the list, it would fill up with stupid posts if left unlocked. You'll also notice that its more than a month old, so plenty of time for all posters to have read it.

5) Warning has been given, the whole idea is to make people think more before they post in at least this forum, if no other.

6) So the Award will stay, whine all you like, read the thread again, FreeMason was ridiculing and attacking others in the thread, and his reasoning was completely failed and absolutely untrue. You surely dont want to allow such bull# to continue?

7) you are not allowed to post crap in this forum.

1) Idem.

2) Well, you can chuckle if you want, what does it change ? NOTHING !

3) So, we needs " warnings " ? May be, may be...But an award ? No, we don't need it.

4) Granted.

5) I agree with you Kano. Peoples have to think before posting. But I don't like your idea. I think that it will not help them. They will not post anymore, and this forum ( sciences ) will die. Fear is not a good meaning when you have to teach something. We are humans Kano,not dogs.

6) I wasn't speaking about FM, I was speaking about you and your shamefull award. And you know it.

7) What's crap Kano ? Something can be a crap for you, and not a crap for someone else. And vice versa.

Do not forget it Kano, you are a mod , not a simple user.
On ATS, you have the " power ". You are a kind of " god " who can close a topic, delete/change a post, even ban a user if you want to do it. I see it like a leadership. And good leaders do not humiliate the peoples who are under them. They can do it, but peoples will not follow them on their own wills. They'll think " if I don't do it or don't agree with him, I'll probably be the next one on his list ".

A mod or an admin have to stay ( or have to try to stay ) over then" commons posters " ( do not think that I'm pedant please
). You right when you write that peoples have to think before posting. But you don't have right when you are humliating someone.

I'm not feeling sad for FM, I'm feeling sad for you.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Kano now you are making stuff up. Nothing I had posted merits this AT ALL...so you simply make stuff up. Real manly of you Kano.

I've not posted any falsities in the thread in question, the 186,000 feet per second was more of an accident, not moronic.

I was not insultive, and did not become so until AFTER this outrageous and retarded display by you.

The "million round per minute gun" is moronic, give that the award.

Stop making crap up Kano...one thread doesn't merit treatment like this. And intelligent readers see that hence all your opposition.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
And here we find the apex of the recent Free Mason against Above Top Secret events of late.

As I read way back into the history of your involvement here on ATS, it seems this is not the first time a moderator has been less than appreciative of your involvement here. And indeed, we also have recently seen how others from another forum have found you to express their displeasure with your involvement in their community as well.

I would suggest that this "award" (which I believe was originally intended as not a harsh humiliation, but humor) is not a complete surprise.

Please, your should consider accepting the notice in the nature in which it was intended, learn, adapt, and grow.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Excuse me winston, that other forum saw me how I am when I'm constantly defending myself against slander, you are beggining to see the same, which is why I have repeatedly urged Kano and such to repent for this slanderous thread.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well, as I have said in pretty much every post on this topic, it is _not_ just the wrong word. It is the whole manner of the post, and the other posts in the thread.

I suggest everyone reading this thread read the one in question. xmb.abovetopsecret.com...

You are attacking others, based on FLAWED SCIENCE.

EXACTLY what this award is designed to stop, and exactly what it is doing.

Incidentally, it isn't 'all the smart' users of the board disapproving of this award. It is the same handful of argumentative types who whine about pretty much every aspect of the board. As for making stuff up, exactly what are you talking about? As mods we tend to be especially careful of what we post, as there are always people ready to pick it apart.

As far as a gentle warning goes. How much of a warning is needed? The warning about the moron award has been in place for months. Its almost certain that everyone who frequents the board has seen it. If we just keep sending people u2us about it that only helps them and not others. This way, it gets a lot of attention, and hopefully is a good reminder to everyone to keep their posts to a certain standard.

As for all moderators having the same opinion Lupe, you are just beating a dead, decomposing horse there and you know it.

As far as

Well Kano if you surely believe you should give me this Moron award, then you should award yourself one, because you could not even keep up with our little discussion about E=mc^2, or other bits of quantum mechanics.

Continuing with the fiction are we?

[Edited on 1-8-2003 by Kano]

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Slander?

You utterly deserve this award, and in your continued ignorance further prove yourself a rightful recipient. Perhaps you could go back and re-read the thread in question, also this thread, from the top. Its a technique some people desperately need to learn. Actually reading and comprehending a thread or issue instead of responding to it in ignorance.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeMason
All this began with this retarded thread! which took ONE single stupid word, and some how blew it into my WHOLE career here on Abovetopsecret.

An interesting choice of words FM.

Career.

It implies an intent to accomplish something here. Hence, it establishes a rationale for the sheer volume of your posts recently.

You've been warned once before to consider quality over quantity when posting to Above Top Secret. I would urge you to recall this thread, especially my response to you within: xmb.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 02:51 PM
link   
William/Kano,

Are you trying to make yourselve's look like complete ass's, or does this just come naturally? It's a ligit question...I'd really like an answer to it as well.

You want people to stop the slander against you, but you cannot stop your slander toward's other's. Your the mod's, learn to do your job right. A moderator does NOT cause chaos, which is what your doing. A moderator is supposed to maintain order.

William,

You can threaten me all you'd like. I did reply in your U2U that I would stop IF you did as well. Since you can't uphold that, then why should I? Your the mod, the one in power, therefore, the one setting the example. Do what you will to me, but remember, it's not me your making out as an ass, it's you yourself....if you really are going to temp-ban me.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 03:19 PM
link   
From this vantage point, the "chaos" is limited to 4 personalities.

Enough said.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Come on people, it suppose to be for fun! Give them a avatar. Hey, good idea Mr President. Make one award for each board. I want the one for R&S board! Have a huge M with the initials of the board they got it from.

[size=10]M
R&S

[Edited on 8-1-2003 by James the Lesser]

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Incidentally, it isn't 'all the smart' users of the board disapproving of this award. It is the same handful of argumentative types who whine about pretty much every aspect of the board.

how can you reason with someone who has a mentality like that.

however, I feel I have to.

The following points are not to antagonise anyone, but to point out the futility of this thread and this award.

Doing as you say Kano, I reviewed the whole thread again. Rather than handing out just the one award why not do it for a few in that thread. After all, FM got his for:

'Most notably his attack on MS based on the assertion that the speed of light, but also for much of the rest of the thread, read it, its a doozie'

That the speed of light what Kano? did you not think and review before posting that message otherwise you would have seen the mistake.

Reviewing that thread and you'll see that Quiet one really adds to the debate going on in that thread. Some might take his humour the wrong way, it is pretty confrontational and dismissive as is FM's.

Your first post doesn't really add to the discussion except humour, which is fine, as we all need that but if Quiet one should get one then so should you. Is humour allowed in this if it upsets someone. FM's humour appears to be sarcastic when he makes a point (admittedly its the lowest form of wit so the saying goes). Different ppl take things in different ways - heck its the reason why this thread is as big as it is now. Do we ban humour in this thread because it has little relevance to the topic?

Mad Scientist and FM both make statements of fact and then fail to back them up through the course of the thread. Neither of them ask for evidence but continue on a 'I know more than you do' slant until they can't go any further and shift onto another piece of weaponry.

To be clear on the Vietnam story, I think I understand it although he perhaps should have explained it better. He stated that the VC guy made pikes and put them around the several entries / exits to the village knowing that when he fires his one bullet, the GI's will scatter and most likely use the entry / exit points in the panic to get to cover and thus impale themselves on the hidden (I assume they are hidden as this was a common practice of creating basic mantraps and GI's are not that dumb to run into exposed pikes) pikes hence the kills and injuries. Whether it was actually that number of kills and injuries is for FM to prove not MS.

To be frank, the way the thread reads, it looks as if you've been waiting for him to shoot his mouth off one time and you can then bag him.

I'm not argumentative, I'm questioning. I do not accept everything at face value, just as you obviously do not and thusly, that is why I challenge yours and other assertions when I think they should be challenged. If that means that I am marked for some future award/mockery for asking questions, or being 'argumentative' and 'whining' then so what, I don't care. But I do care when I see someone being unfairly held up for ridicule for a quick laugh by a small clique of ppl, especially those who have some responsibility to the general wellbeing on this board.

I've spent the best part of an hour and more going over this thread and the other, trying to read the meanings meant by ppl in what they say, noting comments etc because it has hooked me emotionally, which is half of what we are. Everyone makes mistakes - sorry is not a hard word for anyone to say on this board... its virtual for god's sake, which is why we get into these messes with ppl shooting off more than they know sometimes.

I'm appealing to your better nature to rescind the award and ask that FM be more considerate of posting sarcastic counter points to ppl who do not understand him or have not been involved with conversation with him before.

Relationships on here are kinda like th real world, it does take time for some ppl to get used to your style before you can truly be yourself, but if you do invest the time then I think you get more out of it.

I'm off to bed now so I'll see you all tomorrow.

[Edited on 9-1-2003 by phait]

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeMason
Kano now you are making stuff up. Nothing I had posted merits this AT ALL...so you simply make stuff up. Real manly of you Kano.

I've not posted any falsities in the thread in question, the 186,000 feet per second was more of an accident, not moronic.

I was not insultive, and did not become so until AFTER this outrageous and retarded display by you.

The "million round per minute gun" is moronic, give that the award.

Stop making crap up Kano...one thread doesn't merit treatment like this. And intelligent readers see that hence all your opposition.

Sincerely,
no signature

OH WELL, it look likes FM is still having trouble understanding what people are trying to tell him. It wasn't just your misinterpretation of the speed of light, it was your whole group of posts.
You state all this outlandish crap to back up your point of view. Posts links to back yourself up and you will get more credibility.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Um, phait, did you read the times on the posts in the thread?

What exactly does q-o have to do with it, unless he is FM's alter ego?

In FM's posts in that thread, he shows himself to completely not understand whole concept of MS, and instead of inquiring about it, he chooses to attack others who have posted previously on the subject. Also for some unknown reason he claims it is a hoax, he doesn't bother to back up these claims.

Then in the kicker, he again shows himself to have misunderstood the concept, and posts a series of weak errors and understanding, all the while continuing to attack other posters. The whole idea of this award is to make people think before posting. Just re-read your posts before posting them, _especially_ if in your posts you are attacking others arguments and ideas.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Wow Kano you really show lack of judgement in saying I "claim it is a hoax". I do know such thing, I said that as just a speculation not to be taken seriously, just as you say that this whole thread is not meant to be "serious".

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I don't think I ever said not to take this thread seriously?

Incidentally, as you seem to be ignoring such requests in the thread.

It says this that...but not how it really works.

Now I'd like to point out the NUMEROUS Australian government backed HOAXES! that have been floating around, such as the PERPETUAL MOTION MACHINE!

Any proof of this you can post in the correct thread. I'm sure the opposition political party would love to let the general populace know the government is now backing hoaxes.

[Edited on 1-9-2003 by Kano]

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 11:43 PM
link   
FM! It is a joke! Nothing more! Stop whining and start laughing.

"You can look at life as a comedy and laugh or look at it as a tragedy and cry" Shakespere

[size=30]M
R&S

posted on Jan, 9 2003 @ 03:15 AM
link   
well, having read this thread from start to finish I think the conclusion is fairly obvious.

Kano cannot decide wether this award was an attempt at humour or if it was some sort of warning to people that if they don't think before they post they'll be publicly humiliated.

I don't see many people, even those who support it, laughing and as such we can conclude that its basically not funny, so we can dismiss the first reason you might keep it.

as for the second Kano and williams reaction to the posts on this very thread demonstrate that they clearly don't believe the quality of posts has improved due to the award and as such that argument to keep the award can also be dismissed.

as for the third hypothetical point Kano raised suggesting that my contention that if all moderators were to have the same politic and enforce that politc with awards such as these the forums would gain a political bias, was just me flogging a dead horse is clearly a demonstration that ano's on crack or simply doesn't understand the implications of what I was saying.

so we can dismiss that as well.

as such I suggest we take a vote. I'd suggest putting up an electronic poll but that could easily be rigged and whilst I'm not saying moderators would stoop to that, we should at least be aware that this is a vote against something they seem to be for and as such to keep it fair we should do it more openly.

Kano has stated he doesn't care what we think and william has informed us (rather bizarrely) that its not up to us to decide thread policy, as such our best bet is to vote and then petition simon.

so:

given the issues raised in this thread I believe the "moron award" should be removed and not continued in the future.

can I get a second.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join