It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cover of the New Yorker: Barack in turban, Michelle with AK-47??

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The cover is definitely appropriate. After all Obama did grow up in Indonesia. Not sure about his wife...
However due to the timing of this, it looks a a bit a calculated diversion from more serious issues... e.g. banks collapsing and problems in Afganistan, etc.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin

Originally posted by philjwolf
its ok.. to have a cartoon about a sitting president (lil bush)... portraying him as an idiot.. but this is going to far.. ???? Its ok.... for the dems to do it.. but not the reps??

theres a big difference in ridiculing an idiot for his follies

and ridiculing a man on religious escapades and skin color.

Are you forgetting, or just overlooking all the "follies" committed by Obama so far in this campaign that also make him appear to be an "idiot" to a great many people just because he's your selection for president? Or are you trying to convince us that only Obama's "idiotic follies" should be out of bounds?

Careful, could be bordering on the hypocritical with your responses.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
I laughed. If you don't think that this image is funny, you need a smack in the funny-bone.

Ultimately it was intended to be a satirical joke.

The joke is on those that actually believe all those rumors as true.
All of them are laughable. I myself have laughed at the threads here that use them.

I said earlier a computer with a birth certificate on screen in Photoshop would have made this priceless. Maybe the artist wasn't aware of that particular rumor though.

Oddly enough people do believe these rumors are fact.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I think it's hilarious, and i believe Obama handled it remarkably well.

How did he handle it well? When asked about it directly, he said, "no comment".
Yeah, that's handling it remarkable well.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Oddly enough? Perhaps it has something to do with:

1. Mentored 20 years by an anti-American hatemonger.
2. Friends with an outspoken terrorist who bombed pentagon
3. Initially refused to wear US flag pin.
4. People in Virgina are "bitter" and that's why they "cling" "guns and religion".
5. Hammas/Hezbollah endorsed him
6. All of our enemies seem to love him
7. Many of his offices seem to adorn Che Guevara flags.

So, lets not pretend like this is all coming from thin air.

How did he handle it well? When asked about it directly, he said, "no comment". Yeah, that's handling it remarkable well.

The media used to be in awe at how Clinton could get his way out of any problem. They still revere anyone who is politically slick.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

its ok.. to have a cartoon about a sitting president (lil bush)... portraying him as an idiot.. but this is going to far.. ???? Its ok.... for the dems to do it.. but not the reps??

Are you forgetting, or just overlooking all the "follies" committed by Obama so far in this campaign that also make him appear to be an "idiot" to a great many people just because he's your selection for president? Or are you trying to convince us that only Obama's "idiotic follies" should be out of bounds?

Does this picture ridicule him for his "idiotic follies"? Or is it an amalgam of smear tactics, religious and fear mongering? Have any of his follies included him being a Muslim or Terrorist? If the picture portrayed genuine missteps on political issues then you might have a point. Apples and oranges. No potential hypocracy here.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Putting him in a turbin, in this context, is an insult to arabic people.

How is it a insult when Obama had worn one personally?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
If you think its racist to use someones legal name, than you're the one that's naive.

Okie dokie.

You aren't listening, or clearly didn't read the articles linked to understand the complexities of what was being done.

And you got a star for responding to something that I never said at all.

Kudos.

Moving on...

- lee

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
Does this picture ridicule him for his "idiotic follies"? Or is it an amalgam of smear tactics, religious and fear mongering?

It is the latter.

Which now brings me back to the point of my original question.
Will those that see this be smart enough to get the point?

Clearly most are missing it.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

If you think its racist to use someones legal name, than you're the one that's naive.

Okie dokie.

You aren't listening, or clearly didn't read the articles linked to understand the complexities of what was being done.

And you got a star for responding to something that I never said at all.

Kudos.

Moving on...

- lee

The only thing complex about those articles, is the spin job they are trying to do.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
It is a clever cartoon but not in the sense of satire. It is clever because it's implicit message is racist fear mongering couched in satire. The cover is designed as an advertisement for a magazine virtually no one reads except ironically for the ...cartoons.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Why, that's just silly.

Everyone knows Michelle is anti-gun!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Truth Hurts!

And my hat is off to the New Yorker.

We are fighting a religous war with Islam and Obama has a Muslum history that needs to be addressed.

If elected President will Obama back the Constitution or the Koran?

I guess it is really a non issue because Obama will never be elected President of the United States.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I kinda browsed through the posts so far and can't find anyone bringing up the "satirical covers" of President Bush.

Here is one of Bush as Nero....

amrep.wordpress.com...

Here is one of Bush's Oval office flooded by "Katrina"

www.nytimes.com...

Bush/Cheney in "Brokeback Mountain" pose

www.nytimes.com...

There is another one out there I can't find. One of Bush in a maids outfit while Cheney is smoking a cigar kicked back in the Oval Office.

Why was it OK to put unflattering satirical covers about Bush on the front page of the New Yorker, but if Messiah Obama is saterized it's the end of the world?

The question that is becoming clear is...Can Obama handle criticism? We know Bush can, as he is criticised everyday. But can Obama?

[edit on 14-7-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
www.newyorker.com...

For those who are interested, this is where you write a letter to the editor of the New Yorker. Send your comments to them ... if you wish.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

The whole point is to say, "look, this is what conservatives think of Obama". Even though that's completely and utter BS.

So... You DON'T believe these rumors?

Oddly enough? Perhaps it has something to do with:

4. People in Virgina are "bitter" and that's why they "cling" "guns and religion".

So, lets not pretend like this is all coming from thin air.

So, it sounds like you DO believe these rumors...

If you speak out, saying that conservatives don't believe these rumors and it is "utter BS" to think so... and then turn around and provide reasons why the rumors are believable, it is just confusing.

Do you believe them or not?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
What's ironic about the Muslim garb is what happened at a Detroit rally when Obama campaign volunteers refused to let two Muslim women sit on stage because they were wearing head scarves and they didn't want the women to appear in photos and video with Obama.

Source: www.digitaljournal.com...

Although Obama has publicly apologized to these women, you have STILL never seen anyone in Muslim garb appear on stage or by the stage in a photo at an Obama rally nor are you likely to ever see such a photo.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
Will those that see this be smart enough to get the point?

Clearly not.

How wonderful, though that it has stirred so much discussion! I love it!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

Originally posted by centurion1211

Does this picture ridicule him for his "idiotic follies"? Or is it an amalgam of smear tactics, religious and fear mongering? Have any of his follies included him being a Muslim or Terrorist? If the picture portrayed genuine missteps on political issues then you might have a point. Apples and oranges. No potential hypocracy here.

So, did all the Curious George cartoons posted here and elsewhere also constitute a smear campaign? To say no would, in fact, be hypocritical.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I was just at the News Stand. It is sold out of the magazine.
So was the drug store next door.
I KNOW that the magazine doesn't sell out - usually.
Perhaps all this was a way for The New Yorker to make money.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
So, it sounds like you DO believe these rumors...

These aren't rumors.

They are fact.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join