It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cover of the New Yorker: Barack in turban, Michelle with AK-47??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek

Which is exactly why they did this. The whole point is to say, "look, this is what conservatives think of Obama". Even though that's completely and utter BS.

I don't for one second think that all conservatives believe these things about Obama, but there are a lot of threads on the ATS boards that have addressed each one of those rumors as a fact. I've seen threads here about Obama ranging from the notion that he would be instituting Sharia law, to the idea that he is a secret Muslim terrorist supporter.

Many conservative radio shows are pushes these lies as well. They are using his "middle name" to push this idea further.

When is the last time you've heard someone say John Sidney McCain?

There seemed to be some sort of agreement to always address Obama this way and I don't think it is a coincidence that this happens often.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I honestly don't read the New Yorker and I have no idea who their target audience is. Seeing the cover makes me think that it is a conservative smear campaign.

It is a very liberal (somewhat elitist) publication Karl.

Like I said I don't read it on a regular basis but from the articles have read I definitely don't see the New Yorker as fans of the "right".

It isn't a smear campaign, but it certainly is a provocative image.
I could see how the subjects could be offended, as well as Obama supporters.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I just want to point out this hilarious and contradictory thought:

The whole point is to say, "look, this is what conservatives think of Obama". Even though that's completely and utter BS. In other words, its meant to rally mindless Obama fanatics.

Let me tell you something, Dronetek, It's complete and utter BS to think that Obama supporters are "mindless fanatics", too.

Funny how freedom of speech just disappears when we talk about criticizing Obama

Talk about BS... Who is stopping people from criticizing Obama??? They sure haven't been visiting this forum!
75% of the threads here are criticizing Obama and you're crying about Freedom of Speech? That's out of touch with reality. There is so much criticism of Obama here, on the Internet, on the news and in the media... How can you POSSIBLY say there's no Freedom of Speech???

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

Which is exactly why they did this. The whole point is to say, "look, this is what conservatives think of Obama". Even though that's completely and utter BS.

I don't for one second think that all conservatives believe these things about Obama, but there are a lot of threads on the ATS boards that have addressed each one of those rumors as a fact. I've seen threads here about Obama ranging from the notion that he would be instituting Sharia law, to the idea that he is a secret Muslim terrorist supporter.

Many conservative radio shows are pushes these lies as well. They are using his "middle name" to push this idea further.

When is the last time you've heard someone say John Sidney McCain?

There seemed to be some sort of agreement to always address Obama this way and I don't think it is a coincidence that this happens often.

- Lee

For years we've been told Cheney is evil, Bush is part of skull and Bones, Illuminati and so on. Why is it that the media and left wingers had NO problem with that. Yet, suddenly when they get a dose of their own medicine they have a problem?

It really bugs me that the same media that kept lies going about Bush for years, is going to be so indignant about this. I'm really starting to dislike my own country.

Talk about BS... Who is stopping people from criticizing Obama??? They sure haven't been visiting this forum! 75% of the threads here are criticizing Obama and you're crying about Freedom of Speech? That's out of touch with reality. There is so much criticism of Obama here, on the Internet, on the news and in the media... How can you POSSIBLY say there's no Freedom of Speech???

I'm saying the MSM and people on the left are up in arms that a magazine would do such a thing. Its freedom of speech! Anytime they want to roll over someone that's exactly what they claim. So, I'm simply following suite and telling you all to get over it.

If you turned on Morning Joe this morning, you were treated to their left wing fanatics saying this is "dangerous". Thats right, freedom of speech is "dangerous" according to MSNBC.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by slicobacon
Isn't that the same outfit I saw Obama wearing in those Kenya photos? The only controversy I see is Michelle holding the rifle, which we know a good liberal would never do.

Well....there is a flag burning in the fireplace, and a portriat of Osama Bin Laden on the White House wall.
Take a look at the image again.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Isn't that the same outfit I saw Obama wearing in those Kenya photos? The only controversy I see is Michelle holding the rifle, which we know a good liberal would never do.

Well....there is a flag burning in the fireplace, and a portriat of Osama Bin Laden on the White House wall.

- Lee

Well, there have been quite a few Obama campaign offices with posters of Che Guevara up. Not much of a difference. Most of the heat Obama catches is purely his fault based on who he chooses to surround himself with.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

For years we've been told Cheney is evil, Bush is part of skull and Bones, Illuminati and so on. Why is it that the media and left wingers had NO problem with that. Yet, suddenly when they get a dose of their own medicine they have a problem?

It really bugs me that the same media that kept lies going about Bush for years, is going to be so indignant about this. I'm really starting to dislike my own country.

Cheney is evil.
Just kidding.

I don't know who you are referring to as an offended left-winger, but since you mentioned it, as I have already said before...I am not offended. I get the point.

ALSO are you claiming this liberal mag is out to give liberals a taste of their own medicine?? You do know the motivation behind the cover right? I highly doubt that. In fact it is quite the opposite. This was to ridicule the far-right fear mongers for their unfounded paranoid accusations.

The New Yorker is not here to vindicate the the right by ANY stretch of the imagination.

I also think as someone already mentioned, the negative opinions of Bush and Cheney are based on their actual actions as President and Vice President. Many people (including conservatives) have been seriously disappointed in the leadership skills of this administration. I know quite a few conservatives that feel that way. It is the reason for the very low approval ratings. It isn't just a liberal creation or notion. Many have lost faith in this administration.

As President for eight years, Bush gave the media PLENTY to work with.

Obama doesn't have much to work with, which is why some are attempting to create issues that have no substance. Those issues are mocked in the satirical cover.

People also said Kerry is a member of Skull and Bones.
I was under the impression that he was.
Didn't know that was an insult.

- Lee

[edit on 14-7-2008 by lee anoma]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   

- Lee

I don't think the burning flag or picture of osama are that controversial when looking at it from the obama perspective. They typify liberal ideology with the exception of the rifle - the rifle throws me off! Does anyone know what the rifle is supposed to represent?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   

This was to ridicule the far-right fear mongers for their unfounded paranoid accusations.

Exactly, isn't that what I said? That it was meant to rally the left? Thats my whole point. When they do it, its accepted and A-OK. Yet, when a VERY small minority of the right does it to the left, it gets all this attention and hand wringing.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

So, I'm simply following suite and telling you all to get over it.

I'm over it. I was never ... under it.

Thats right, freedom of speech is "dangerous" according to MSNBC.

One person said that. I watched. That isn't representative of the entire channel. Besides, THAT'S Freedom of Speech, too! To share an opinion. Just because someone says they don't like it doesn't mean your expression is infringed! Maybe YOU should "get over it".
People have opinions.

They also talked about how great it is that we can have this expression in this country without riots breaking out and how wonderful that is... (Think Muhammad cartoons). Yeah, I saw it, too.

In a poll on this page, 55% of people think it's "offensive". 45% do not. What's the problem with that???

And if it was a satirical McCain POW cartoon, would you still be encouraging people to "get over it"?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I don't think the burning flag or picture of osama are that controversial when looking at it from the obama perspective. They typify liberal ideology

Osama bin Laden typifies liberal ideology???

The rifle is an allusion to being a terrorist.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

That isn't representative of the entire channel.

I don't want to go off topic, but this is just one of MANY examples of MSNBC only liking the constitution when it suits them.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Well, there have been quite a few Obama campaign offices with posters of Che Guevara up. Not much of a difference. Most of the heat Obama catches is purely his fault based on who he chooses to surround himself with.

I can't believe you don't see the difference between the alleged mastermind of the 9/11 attacks that leveled the twin towers and killed thousands of American lives, and Che Guevara. I believe there are MAJOR differences there. The American people have a direct relationship to the more recent actions of Osama Bin Laden and his followers. People are still healing from the wounds inflicted that September, and some rescue workers have developed serious medical conditions as a consequence.

Having Osama Bin Laden on your wall would be seriously offensive to many as opposed to seeing Che posters and flags that are ALL over the campuses of Art colleges in my area. They for the most part know little about the man I am sure.

Anyway even if some people had those posters, that doesn't mean Obama came in to personally hang them up.

Here:

This button was on sale at the Texas GOP convention. Although they have claimed to have not known about the buttons, by your logic all Republicans share the blatant racism that this button symbolizes since it was sold at an official Republican event or location.

I doubt McCain feels that way, and don't hold Obama responsible for what some supporters choose to place on their walls. As you said yourself, not all conservatives believe the fear mongering rumors...so can't you comprehend that not all left-wingers may feel the same about having a Che Guevera poster? You don't know Obama's official opinion on the matter.

Now are you going to show me an example of Obama supporters burning flags or an equivalent? If it does exist, would you hold Obama responsible?

- lee

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
That's Michelle? I thought sure it was Angela Davis.

I thought it was Macy Gray!

Okay, fun aside, I do understand the satire approach here but as has been asked before, I simply believe that a good majority of people who see this will think of it in a confused and fearful manner. It's easy enough to sit back and say that it was to show the opposite as being true. They could just as easily be trying to feed the fear with the fallback of "it's a joke!"

Not cool.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
And when this cartoon came out, were you encouraging people to "get over it"?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
And when this cartoon came out, were you encouraging people to "get over it"?

Ive never sen or heard of it, which sort of proves my point.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

This was to ridicule the far-right fear mongers for their unfounded paranoid accusations.

Exactly, isn't that what I said? That it was meant to rally the left? Thats my whole point. When they do it, its accepted and A-OK. Yet, when a VERY small minority of the right does it to the left, it gets all this attention and hand wringing.

My mistake then.
I do recall that you had said that, however when you said:

Yet, suddenly when they get a dose of their own medicine they have a problem?

This confused me.

I thought it was somewhat of a contradiction of your previous statement since I assumed you were talking about the cover in question as the "dose of their own medicine". I thought you were saying this cover was giving the same treatment to liberals since some are saying they were offended by it.

What were you referring to?

- Lee

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Ouch.

That is the first time I have seen that one.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by KMFNWO
Ok that really freaks me out. That is a blue turban right? Anybody recall Nostrodamus and the man from the East in the blue turban?

Out of the country of Greater Arabia Shall be born a strong master of Mohammed,
He will enter Europe wearing a blue turban.
He will be the terror of mankind.
Never more horror.

It doesn't mean anything, it just popped in there when I saw the turban. It just creeps me out is all.

ew ouch, yea I remember that.

What is up with the New Yorker?
Making It

www.newyorker.com...

There is something out there so taboo I wont post it, I will wait.

[edit on 093131p://bMonday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Welcome to America!!!

Freedom of speech, it is great..... just to sit here and watch you all rant about this picture makes this freedom great!!!! lol

Theres not much I can say about this pic but that it is definately how a large number of Americans feel...both liberal and conservative...right across the board....

remember this is not even round one, between the gop and democrats, no vps yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join