It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia eyes new missiles aimed at Europe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Russia eyes new missiles aimed at Europe

www.upi.com

MOSCOW, July 13 (UPI) -- Russia is making contingency plans for new nuclear missiles aimed at Europe as a response to U.S. missile shield moves, sources said Sunday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Appears that Russia did offer their response to attacking the missile shield in way with new launch codes and destinations.

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This is all politcal grandstanding by Russia nothing more. They even in thier depleted state still have more than enough missiles to destroy the world.

They are getting thier panties in a wad over what 10-20 interceptors? Under current practices the US counld intercept 5-10 missiles as they loft 2 against each inbound. They might be able to defend say Prague against an an attack, but thats about it. Russia and China, heck France could saturate the system with ease

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Oh and retargeting the missiles? pure theatrics, this baloney about missiles not being targeted. Yeah it takes a few keystrokes and viola, got the new target which they could do at anytime anyway :shk:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Well I guess that they had to say something, now didn't they?

It's no shocker to me that they're targeting Europe. It's saber rattling, nothing more.

You have to make noise to be heard.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
This is all politcal grandstanding by Russia nothing more. They even in thier depleted state still have more than enough missiles to destroy the world.

I agree with you. But,

"How would Washington feel if we placed interceptor missiles on Cuba or Venezuela?" a Russian source said
Source

I think they have a valid point, and it's not like relations between Russia and the U.S are the greatest right now. IMO it's just one more step closer to the final showdown.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Its just one move on the world's chessboard....down along the lines your going to have checkmate.I guess mankind never learn from the first cold war.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

Go ahead and do it. Always wanted a good excuse to nuke Cuba one day.

Useless against American missiles saturating the region with only a few dozen missiles.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I cant believe they think everyone is so stupid.
Why would you need a missile defence shield surrounding Russia because of Iran who have unguided Sahab-4 missiles with a range of 2000km.And NK who's just blown up its nuke facility.
Do they think the Russians are completely stupid?
Or maybe they do want to antagonize the Russians and start WW3, maybe that is there plan after all, they have underground citys where they and Tom Cruise like people can live healthily while we all rot from radiation.
Why would anyone want to attack Poland or Czechoslovakia?
This defence shield will destabilize the globe even more I cant even understand how they can be allowed to pursue it.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Being_From_Earth

Look at the geography and understand why Poland and Czechslovakia is the convenient place to put up a missile defense system. Make sure what this missile defense system is suppose to do when it launches. Its not like a simple SAM system by going after the heat of an engine. Its more of head to head.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The missile shield isn't to stop anyones missiles but Russia..its a load of bs.There is noway anyone in the region would attack Poland or the Republic.Bush is so stupid putting these everyplace.The location is obvious since they have them in Alaska and also parts of Canada.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
its all todo with the north pole..plain and simple ...the Russians want it and the USA \ Canada want it...ww3 will soon be here....

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   

They are getting thier panties in a wad over what 10-20 interceptors? Under current practices the US counld intercept 5-10 missiles as they loft 2 against each inbound. They might be able to defend say Prague against an an attack, but thats about it. Russia and China, heck France could saturate the system with ease

Thats like calling the military retarded. Why pay Poland all that money to put ten missles there. Its going to be A LOT more then that. Sorry I know our governments stupid but they arent that stupid.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienstar
The missile shield isn't to stop anyones missiles but Russia..its a load of bs.There is noway anyone in the region would attack Poland or the Republic.Bush is so stupid putting these everyplace.The location is obvious since they have them in Alaska and also parts of Canada.

I totally agree, its pretty obvious whats happening. And this is how it all starts. A little snowball. Then an avelanche.

I mean we can go back over the past couple of years or so and post the news article links building up to where Russia reserves the right to pre-emtively strike with nuclear weapons this year and so forth.

This is a build up, anyone who says they are blowing smoke is so invested in society that they refuse to believe anything could possibly happen.
Im sorry mister but your worlds coming to an end wether you like it or not.

Ill be kicked back in the country watching the glow.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Putin, don't aim your missiles at me, or I will kick you in the nuts...I will kick you in the nuts!

Seriously though, as a European this kind of threat, shallow or not irritates me extremely.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
If the Russians built an ABM base and radar in Cuba, you can bet that those suckers would go on US targeting lists the next day

We aren't stupid, and neither are the Russians.

It's not grandstanding by Russia to target the bases, it's strategic a necessity. They have to plan for the possibility that we are deceiving them about our systems true capabilities - just as we would.

Once the first missiles are already flying, "trust" is obviously already out the window.

Announcing publicly that they are re-targeting their weapons on the other hand, that is clearly a political message, grandstanding if you will.

That doesn't mean that it it isn't also true.

With the Russians' considerable arsenal I would be very surprised if they didn't, in fact, target the sites in Poland and the Czech Republic with their most advanced delivery systems as soon as they become operational.

They would be incredibly foolish not to.

[edit on 7/14/08 by xmotex]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Its not about a mass exchange though Fred, is it?

Like it or not, the Bush administration has set a new tone for the US of pre-emptive attack where it sees fit, and where it sees fit seems to be wherever theres energy resources - and Russia has alot of those.

No one in their right mind is going to lob all their missiles at Russia, but someone who thinks that they can get away with lobbing one in and intercepting a limited response just might.

The MAD doctorine has been blown out of the window since the 80's when people realised that a full exchange wasn't survivable.

The Russians are reacting to current circumstances, and a President that says "all options are on the table, always", members of congress that appear to back limited nuclear strikes on Iran and the US openly postulating on the production of new nukes, together with weaker Russian conventional forces, and you can see why they might be nervous.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
So the question is why stick your missile shield all over Europe and former Warsaw countries,and we know thats a blow to a countries ego hosting them.When the US is just targeted again from Russia for what Bush states are for other rogue countries?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I was wondering... where do folks get accurate data of Russia? I tend to think they are a lot more capable than we (here in the States) make them out to be.

new topics

top topics

join