It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political bias in school text-books?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'm taking a speech class at my local community college for a summer course. I notice that there was a strong political bias in the text-book. It seemed like the author of the text-book was trying to get his point across by naming examples for saying what not to do in various speeches by clearly indicating his dislike of methods used by popular political candidates. One example in the text-book was used to show a logical fallacy said that there is no reason to think that tax-cuts could not benefit the rich. The author also seems to have a bias against the media, in thinking that the media makes people do things, and that the media is extremely powerful. While that's not too far from the truth the author took advantage of his ideas to create media literacy sections which while he said he wanted people to become more literate in reading the media, he is basically telling people that they should conform to his point of view, and I believe that the media doesn't have that much of an influence over people. The author likes to blame television for creating stereotypes-- which while may be true to some extent-- and while this is relevant to what we need to know for our class-- it is still showing that he wants to get people to buy his point of view.

Are a lot of text-books like this? Where the author tries to get you to buy into his or her view?

I feel like my thread is being ignored. I do believe I'm raising some issues here. Why do schools allow such blatant propaganda in text-books if they want people to be objective?

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Are a lot of text-books like this? Where the author tries to get you to buy into his or her view?

Yes.

Every last textbook you ever receive in college will have its own political agendas - whether you are studying psychology, business, physics, criminal justice, communications, art, social work, biology, education, anthropology or whatever else. No subject is free of propaganda. Now, some subject areas - specifically the humanities and social sciences - will exhibit more bias than other areas - like math or music. But don't be fooled, as even the most abstract, politically disinterested subjects will promote certain beliefs.

Why do schools allow such blatant propaganda in text-books if they want people to be objective?

I don't know. I guess people - and that includes professors - naturally want to press their own beliefs onto others.

The best thing, I have found, is to keep your head down, accept that you are going to be preached at, *memorize* the propaganda for the tests, *learn* the material that is objective, and above all else, don't believe what you are told simply because your instructor or the author has an MA or PhD.

I know it sucks, but you really just have to let the bullsh*t slide right off your back.

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Kontagion]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
most of the textbooks like it

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Textbooks are written by humans, and humans tend to be bias because we all have certain beliefs. No matter how hard a person might try to be neutral, bias will always creep in. It can be as a subtle as the wordings used or unintentionally leaving certain things out.

If you really want to get at the truth of something, try reading about it from many different sources. Many of us are too lazy or just don't have the time to do research. It's a good thing you notice the bias in your textbook, because many people just take things at face value.

new topics

top topics

join